“My Cuban Cottage”

Ranked #43 of 63 Hotels in Varadero
Port Bruce, Ontario, Canada
“My Cuban Cottage”
Reviewed November 26, 2013

Karen and I are returning the last two weeks of January to our Cuban cottage. The staff treat us like family and so I miss them and the other repeaters there at the same time as us every year. I like to go to new and different places but they made us feel at home our first time 8 years ago. The Italian a la carte, El Rissolino is our favourite place to eat at Kawama. The buffet always has something we like and always has great ice cream. Sometimes I'll fill a bubba mug with vanilla ice cream to mix with pina coladas from the lobby bar. We also take our own favourite salad dressings from home and keep them in our room fridge. They help us enjoy the sometimes limited salad making ingredients offered. Occasionally, I'll save some boiled egg, cheese, bacon or onion that I run across at breakfast, put it in our fridge and bring it to the buffet to add to our lunch salads. When I get bacon in the morning it sometimes needs more cooking for my taste, so I take it to the omelet grill and walk to the front of the line, throw it on and then get in line and it's ready quickly. Those ingredients frequently aren't offered at lunch and I like to kick my salad up a notch, as Emeril likes to say. The house band, Villagranm plays at lunch and supper and we love them. Sometimes the staff and tourists get dancing and that is the best show all day. There are a lot of new restaurants opened in Varadero the past few years due to a change of laws and they offer excellent food at good prices, for a change from the resort food. Two weeks here is my favourite time of the year. At our Cuban cottage.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank MikeDown

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (431)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Vienna, Austria
Reviewed November 25, 2013

On my first Time in Cuba in 2011 i choose Kawama Hotel after a recomend of an Friend how was there one year before.

The Hotel ist a little bit old looking but for me it had a special touch. Personal was very friendly and tryed to fullfill every wish of the guests.

Both pools where clean as also the Beach from Hotel. Drinks and entertaiment are very good.
Food is so so.

Rooms are clean, funtional and big.

Good place too make Party till the morning or relaxe. Both is possibile on this big hotel grounds.
For sure i will retrn in 2015 again.

Room Tip: For people who want relaxe choose a room not next to the mainpool. Also Rooms with streetview are no...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank mark08154711
ontario
Reviewed November 25, 2013

I went to Kawama for my second time last spring, while I had to change rooms again (I had the same issue the first trip) the staff was accommodating, although I did pay for the upgrde the second time around, I was a little disappointed when I arrived in my room that had a broken air conditioner. However, the next day I asked to be switched rooms, the staff was great. The rooms are not spectacular but who goes south for the room? I've also been to a 5+ star in veradero and the room wasn't much better. I go for the beach and overall atmosphere. The beach at Kawama is breathtaking. Couldn't ask for more. The people that work there are friendly and care about your stay. The food selection is not huge but there's something for everyone. I find it disappointing when I read reviews saying the food was disgusting, you're not at the keg or the olive garden, and they only have so much to offer. Remember, they don't have access to the delicacies you might have at your
disposal back home. Overall I had a fantastic time, I may not return to Kawama but I have some great memories from there that will be hard to live up to.

• Stayed April 2013
4 Thank sunnyvilleOntario
Halifax
Reviewed November 25, 2013

I have just returned from my 7th vacation at Club Kawama, and loved every minute of it as always! The resort is currently going through major renovations (supposed to be completed within the next month or so), so only half of the resort is currently open. This did not pose a problem at all, as the staff did a tremendous job to accommodate all of us in a smaller (and cozy) space. The two things that keep me returning to Kawama are the splendid beachfront and the amazing staff at the resort. Madelaines, Nancy, Dayne, Isabel, and Myalene in the dining hall provided us with excellent service and beautiful smiles, as always. Ernesto and Yvon kept us well caffeinated at the espresso bar. Leida and Claudio (Public Relations) are truly two of the most hardworking people you will ever meet, and will always go the extra mile to make sure that everything is okay. This is not a five star resort, so you cannot expect the amenities that normally come with a five star resort - if that’s your thing, then you probably should pay twice as much to go to a five star resort (at the other end of Varadero in the middle of nowhere). If you want a beach holiday in a very laid back atmosphere, and a resort that is very close to town so that you can walk to the markets, then Kawama is your place. This is a resort that has customers returning for the 30th, 40th, 50th time, so you know that it has a special charm. Hope to see you there!

Room Tip: Consider upgrading to a superior room. It's worth it!
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
7 Thank tnm63
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Reviewed November 24, 2013

It was wonderful to be back to Kawama for my 8th time. My partner and I usually go once a year but this year we went back a second time. It seems we can't get enough of this place and it feels like coming home each time we are there. The staff are friendly, helpful and treat us like family. We were meeting other friends there from another province who are also regulars. Our superior room was amazing and I think we had the best view of the ocean and the beach. A big thank you to Claudio and Leida for making this happen. Both of these staff work so hard to ensure everyone is having a pleasant stay. The special dinner for all returnees is a highlight with a very tasty lobster dinner. Leida does an amazing job putting this together and hosting it too. I'm not a fussy eater so I can always find something at the dining hall that satisfies me. Thank you to Ernesto and Evon who tend the lobby bar who make great drinks and special coffees. Their smiles and great sense of humour is very much appreciated. Madelaines, Nancy, Dayne and Isabel work in the dining hall and I can't say enough wonderful things about these beautiful ladies. I always look forward to seeing them each time we are there and they take such good care of us. They are excellent at their jobs. While this resort may not be for everyone, for me it's all about the rustic feel, the amazing beach, incredible staff and relaxed atmosphere. I look forward to returning in April of 2014.

Room Tip: It's worth booking a superior room if possible. For us it makes a difference.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
8 Thank Novascottie
Bathurst, New Brunswick, Canada
Reviewed November 18, 2013

I've been going there since 1998. This time I was there for 2 weeks to get married. All my families and friends stayed there with us. They all loved it. For sure, it's not a 5 stars but it's ok. Every people expect something different of there vacation. Some people need a lot to be happy, me I don't.
Just to have the beach a few steps from my room, a drink and people happy to work. The main reason why I keep is the employees. They are like a second family...Leyda, Maria, Claudio, Yvan, Adela, Isabelle....to name just some of them. They are doing a terrific job with all the problems caused by the renovations.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank jalofred
Ontario
Reviewed November 10, 2013

On arrival at Kawama, I was a bit surprised. I was expecting an open lobby etc. and instead I was lead into a small reception office at the top of many stairs. My travel companion had arrived a couple of days before and had found out that the main hotel was under renovation and the guests were all being put up in the overflow section. This meant only one pool, one theme restaurant and a general lack of ammenities.
I have been only once to Mexico and I was really comparing to that resort right from the start. I was warned to expect different in Cuba but it took some getting used to. Once I was in the room, I was really having a hard time. It was clean but very old and a bit like a cellar. My friend had already upgraded to a Superior room, knowing that if he had his original room when I would arrived, I would have needed to be revived!! I still don't know what that room looked like but he did mention, small, dingy and dirty windows. Our room was spacious with a King bed, large bathroom and only steps from the Ocean.
After a couple of days at Kawama I started to feel very homey. It grew on me as did the staff and service. The one pool was nice enough, the dining room was nice, the lounge area where the entertainers are nightly was cozy. At first I thought our room was far away from everything and then I realized it was in the perfect location. I loved our little spot, very private and quiet. Meeting many repeat customers (one has been there over 50 times!) really made me feel that it has a certain charm you don't get in a 5 star. Charm like the road in front of the resort flooding every evening!! We got used to cab drivers dropping us off a few feet away so we could walk instead of them getting stuck!!
I think once the main resort is renovated, Kawama would be a resort worth visiting again.

Room Tip: Ask for a Superior Room with a view.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple