Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
2,705 results
All reviews the mexican restaurant beach bar chicken fish close to town bring your own beautiful beach pizza nightly entertainment a la cartes second home old cars other resorts great vacation the double decker bus evening shows white sand
Selected filters
Reviewed February 6, 2020

we just got back from the Roc Barlovento February 1st , for the most part it was ok , the grounds were nice the food was better than other resorts we've been to in cuba , the beach was beautiful and we loved the location of the resort .
Our biggest issue with the resort is that there was smoking aloud in the lobby and in the evenings the amount of people smoking made it very unpleasent for nonsmokers like us and for this reason we are unlikely to return to the roc .
Another thing that annoyed me was the total lack of the better quality rums like Santiago and Legendario , i actually went to the store and purchased my own Legendario , not a big deal but i shouldn't have to .

2  Thank N6991MVmiked
Roc Barlovento V, Director General at Hotel Roc Barlovento, responded to this reviewResponded February 7, 2020

Hi,
We are not responsible for smokers in the lobby, there is a non-smoking area but we cannot send police behind each smoker. It is a pity that I value the hotel with only 3 stars for this reason, we do not understand if you like the food and the service why you value the hotel as well.

Reviewed February 1, 2020

Hi once again went back to barlovento 16th time here I was a little dissapointed the is food is good but lunch and supper same thing not as much variety as there was the bath towel are very small now the resort is clean lot's of chairs the staff is great close to everything nice rooms good bed I would rate it a 3 1/2 at the lobby bar the have no smoking but people get ashtray's and smoke i turn the sighs the other way castro would not be happy for people who smoke cigars lol I would go back

Room tip: 2nd floor is good it is quiet there adults only
1  Thank LOUISC953
Roc Barlovento V, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Hotel Roc Barlovento, responded to this reviewResponded February 2, 2020

Hi, thank you very much for your opinion.
We are delighted you liked the Hotel and we wait for your return ..
RR.PP

Reviewed February 1, 2020

Front desk
This must be the worste job in a resort. They deal with tired cranky guests at 4 am but I tried to.behave. Likely the best front desk I have come across in Cuba, no issues. My restaurant reservations were ready to go.

I did not seen a green veggie except some poor looking peas. Never thought I would crave broccoli. The chicken was better at lunch or at serving station but it runs out quickly. Lots of fish and a little beef. Pork is generally good. Few changes in content and dinner has allot of leftovers from lunch. The staff were friendly , attentive and overall excellent. The food available was prepared well and I always say if your a foodie skip Cuba or lower your expectations. Deserts were good and ice cream was stellar. You will not go hungry.

Mexican restaurant
I spend allot of time in Mexico so it was a little bland for me but a break from the Buffett. The food was a little better than buffet. I stayed 2 weeks and at check in had 3 reservations for each a la carte, no issues. Very efficient.

Room
Paid for Roc Plus. Everything worked and as other reviews state very clean. my maid was awesome
Safe was included as was a bottle of water daily,. Small towels but reasonablely new. Hot water started off barely room temp and and On my 10th day the water improved but not quite 50C as marked . Stayed in room 325 on third floor facing the "garden" which was no issue for me.

Lobby bar
Excellent staff. The resort crowd tended to be 50+ the first week but startef getting younger, no line ups for drinks. They serve coffee here instead of the machine made liquid in the buffet :( They have real cups and glasses but recommend you bring you own insulated mug for drinks as others recommend.

Pool and Beach area
I was here 4-5 years ago and all the chairs are new and at least twice as many. Pools were very clean. The Walk way on the left to the beach had some bad boards and should have some attention and got worse over my stay. They eventually closed both. Lots of beach chairs and shade. The grounds around the pools looked recently changed and we'll maintained. At night there were a few bugs around so some bug spray is a good idea anywhere in Varadero.

Cats
If you really don't like cats stay away. If you do bring treats and you will have a friend for the week. They seemed pretty good at recognizing cat friendly people but they are all over stuff so if your allergic don't come here.

Area
About an hour walk to beattles bar on the other end of town. Lots of restaurants around but did not try any. The bank in town is a couple blocks down in front of another hotel. I think they start 9-9:30ish.
The exchange rate at the hotel is terrible which is normal in Cuba so change your money in the bank. The hop on bus was very crowded some days and not others. If you plan to explore town this is a great location.

Sunwing
I booked with them before and have had ok experiences, if very long waits for price drop refunds. The flight was on time. Understand out of Vancouver you arrive 4 am and it is possible you might have to wait until 4pm for a room if it's super busy. Check out is noon and your flight leaves at 3am so if you want a room checkout day pay for an extra day and don't expect a late check-out which seems reasonable.

Entertainment
It's nightly and varied and included. Drinks are close by.
Overall
There are a core of dedicated guests who return frequenly. A recent reviewer mentioned gold bracelets and I asked a couple would had them and they were first timers. The staff are not paid well so your tips mean allot. I expect any extra special treatment is just in response to that. For the most part hotel rules seem.to be a suggestion in Cuba but here they are fairly enforced here.

It's a nice small friendly resort. Management is around actively keeping things running well. I heard there are still some "bad" rooms so concider an upgrade to Roc plus which was only 9 dollars a day. Hopefully they sort out there supply issues but with the US restrictions back on I doubt it.

I think it was 4 years ago I was here in October. I think I have it a 3/5 then. there have been much improvements in facilities. Despite some missing greens the food is better than some resorts in Varadero. You pay a little more because it is 16+ and "in town". I think using cuban stars I can give it 4 stars and I if I would return to Varadero I would return there.

Trip type: Traveled solo
4  Thank Tim C

Hi Tim,
Thank you very much for your opinion with everything, but it goes without saying, but it is always very important everything is real and serious, thanks.
We wait for your return and do not doubt when we can help with something.
RR.PP

Reviewed January 30, 2020

This was our first trip to Cuba and our first time at an all-inclusive. Our room was not one of the renovated rooms, but it was clean and the beds were comfortable. We were not expecting good food, as all we had ever heard was negative about food in Cuba, so we were pleasantly surprised. The omelets at the egg station were delicious, I also tried the French toast, and it was good. There was always lots of fresh fruit at all meals. For lunch and dinner I had grilled fish of my choice from the grill station. There were usually grilled vegetables here as well. My husband enjoyed the made to order pasta, roast beef and delicious roast chicken. The desserts were plentiful and very good. The freshly baked bread was out of this world! Our servers in the middle section were excellent, hot tea and coffee delivered after we had sat down with our food at breakfast each morning, and hugs on our last day when we said adios. We had some excellent paella and barbecued fish at the beach restaurant one day for lunch. The coffee at the lobby bar was also delicious. There were plenty of chairs at both pools, we preferred the 2nd smaller pool near the beach the lounges were comfortable and the beach towels thick and soft. Evening entertainment was very good. We liked the fact that the resort is not huge and that we could easily walk into Varadero. We will definitely be returning to Roc Barlovento.

4  Thank galem355
Direccion-RRPP, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Hotel Roc Barlovento, responded to this reviewResponded January 30, 2020

Dear galem,

We are glad that you have enjoyed your first time in our country and our resort, that we have fulfilled your expectations and have a real opinion about our hotel, our staff every day with the biggest smile gives the best for our customers to feel at home and decide to return one more time.

We thank you once again and welcome to the Roc Barlovento family

Reviewed January 29, 2020

Kudos to all the staff. Shout outs to Carlos (beach attendant) he takes great pride to keep the beach clean its a shame that tourist leave their cigarettes, straws and beer cans behind , YuYu best housekeeper, Iris (buffet server) over worked, Yusett (coffee bar)best personality and Lea (customer service Roc plus). If not for the staff I would not return. This was our fourth time. A lot of improvements from three years ago. Attempted to approach the GM Clause but he was always too busy. And thats a good thing.
We like its adults only.
The food we found was not as good as it was three years ago but totally understand the embargo challenges.
If I would suggest anything and its always the little things that bring us back; turn on the pool fountain, offer late check out perks to returning guest at no cost and invest in wifi for rooms. It takes time.
Thanks again to everyone...
Kitt and Ryszard

Room tip: 107-115 near lobby
2  Thank Kitt2065
Direccion-RRPP, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Hotel Roc Barlovento, responded to this reviewResponded January 29, 2020

Dear Kitt2065,

Thank you very much for your opinion, this is of great importance for all our Staff, we will give your recognition to those who were part of your enjoyment and we are glad that we are to your liking and always your choice of enjoyment.

Thanks again and we send you our best regards on behalf of the whole Roc Barlovento family