We stayed here in Barlovento Hotel for 11 nights of our 14 night trip to Havana, and we left with mixed ideas, although the agreed consensus was it a was a great pick for value, relaxation and beach. On arrival we were impressed with our quick check-in and took to explore the lovely low-rise complex. We found a large buffet, a Mexican restaurant, an Italian restaurant, 2 pools, a few bars dotted around, a tennis court and the breathtaking beach.
Our room was simple, two comfy-enough double beds, a balcony overlooking the pool. It was cleaned daily and we had fresh towels upon request. The shower was powerful, though it was always hit and miss if it would be a hot shower or a cold one; but on the bright side- if it IS hot, its all the more reason to share. Outside of our room, the pool and beach are were very inviting, and there is also an activity hut which contains all the ingredients for on-resort fun (snooker balls, table tennis bats, tennis rackets etc). There is nightly entertainment, and the animacion guys who work this are often seen around resort chatting to the residents, challenging them to table tennis, football etc. Nightlife outside of the resort seemed very limited, however if you choose to remain on site, or take an early night-cap, you simply will not get any sleep as the music begins around 10 and booms on for over an hour.
Outside of the resort you will recognise you are at the beginning the the peninsular, in 'down town Varadero'. You are a short stroll from the best two markets, offering wood crafts and other Cuban gifts. There are also afew local restaurants, and more choice the further you travel, all offering a mix of international and cuban cuisine at prices that are most impressive. 'The bar' of the strip is located on Calle 62, about a 7CUC journey from the hotel (£4-5).
We seemed to have arrived at this hotel during a quiet period, meaning the buffet restaurant was closed, and the Italian closed halfway through our stay. This resulted in a reduced and heavily repeated breakfast and dinner-time buffet service inside the Mexican, and a small table also offering some cuisine from their near-neighbour. This was most dissapointing, however as mentioned there is an array of eateries in the locality, which is honesty provide a much needed break from the resort- the beauty of Cuba is that you can venture of in a very safe environment- so make sure you make top use of this!!! On the bright side, the lunch was delicious and the drinks are free-flowing. Sun, sea, sand, rum, fun and... sun... erm.. what more could you wish for?
There are also many day trips to venture on from this resort. I would recommend a boat trip, or a visit to the free local park. Both of which are accessible via a tourist bus which runs daily along the length of the peninsular. For those seeking a really refined meal in a beautiful location with a stunning sunset backdrop, i would recommend asking to eat in Xanadu Mansion, owned by a historic cuban landowner who turned millionaire. I hope this came across more positive than negative, the beach, the staff, the location, the sunshine and most else was exceptional- the only downer for us really was the low capacity! So Enoy CUBA, you'll be sad when you leave!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Hotel Roc Barlovento is located on beachfront and just a few meters from town centre of Varadero only 25 km away from the airport.This large Caribbean-style resort is in perfect harmony with its natural surroundings along an extensive, fine white sanded beach and turquoise waters .Adults only hotel, over 16 years.Services Around the gardens, there are a tennis court, a solarium, three swimming pools and one jacuzzi. 3 Out Door Pools Sunbeds & Umbrellas Reception 24 hrsStores, shops Air Conditioning Tourism office GardensInternet, with charge Telephone and fax, with charg eMassage, with charge"All Inclusive" Services Buffet service for breakfast, lunch and dinner 3 á la carte restaurants (prior reservation required and upon availability) Fast food, snacks, grill y paellas. Cocktails, beverages: national and international brands. 24 hrs Service. Non motorized water sports (upon availability), snorkel, windsurf, kayak, pedalboatl, catamaran, windsurf . Voleyball, football, tennis, ping pong, billard, petanca, dards, archery and table games. Basket, beach volley, water polo- Gym Sunbeds andbeach/pool towels Day time entertainment programme: aerobics, yoga, dancing lessons, Spanish lessons, pool/beach games. Evening entertainment with a variety of international shows and theme nights (resident band and dancers)GastronomyThe All Inclusive offer includes, in addition to the three complete buffet meals per day, à la carte meals in the 3 specialty restaurants (with reservation) snacks, alcoholic as well as non-alcoholic drinks throughout the day. A great variety of gastronomical treats awaits our guests in the hotel’s 4 restaurants and 4 bars . The hotel offers a 24 hrs service. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Booking.com, Evoline ltd and HotelsClick so you can book your Hotel Roc Barlovento reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Barlovento Hotel Varadero
- Barlovento Cuba
- Gran Caribe Club Barlovento
- Hotel Barlovento
- Barlovento Varadero