“Great bang for your buck!”

Hotel Roc Barlovento
Ranked #19 of 64 Hotels in Varadero
Reviewed March 30, 2010

This was our first time in Cuba. After reading many reviews and speaking with people who have already been to Cuba, we figured we pretty much knew what to expect. Our first night there was kind of disappointing because it seemed as though the hotel over booked rooms and we were stuck in what I think was an "over flow" area. The rooms were, well to sum it up in one word, nasty. They were really dated, only had 2 single beds, just a shower stall and no hair dryer. The next day we were able to get a better room with a king sized (none of the beds, I've heard are all that great in Cuba anyways), bath tub and hair dryer(turns out if you have any natural curl or wave in your hair, the humidity in Cuba really brings it out and I ended up not having to use the hair dryer!), but only after bugging the front desk every hour or so. Most of the employees at the front desk are a bit on the rude side but the rest of the staff are pretty awesome, some more then others. The maids and the rest of the cleaning staff are top notch (well at least our maid was wicked-awesome AND she was like 7 months pregnant!). Everyone leaves gifts and tips for the maids and the bartenders/servers but I didn't see many people giving anything to the ladies who clean the lobby and around the grounds. I gave a few gifts to these ladies, they were tickled pink and each time they saw me they would smile from ear to ear.

The bartenders are all pretty cool and friendly, like I said earlier, some more then others. The drinks aren't all that great but after a few they seem to taste much, much better! I recommend the rum punch, can't go wrong with that AND bring your own mug cos the little plastic glasses don't hold a lot and they're really flimsy. The food, well it's not that great. The pork is really good, the bread is really good the paella is awesome and some of the soups are good too. I was a little disappointed with the quality of fresh fruit but I heard that tropical storms wiped out a lot of crops or it could have been the time of year we were there, who knows? You need to get to the buffet early for breaky and make sure you stop at the lobby bar and grab your coffee before you go eat cos the coffee in the buffet is freakin' gross! There's a Cuban open air restaurant and a Mexican a la carte restaurant that are only open for dinner. Make your reservations in advance OR get in good with the waiters. For lunches, go over to the area where the Cuban restaurant is cos they serve some of the same food they have in the buffet as well as the paella and bbq'd pork or chicken or fish whatever they're making that day.

We ate a few times off the resort and were quite happy with the food. You can grab a taxi or hop on the beach tour bus that will take you up and down the strip. At some point during your stay in Cuba you MUST stop at Josone Park. There are a few restaurants in there and if you're a lobster lover you MUST go to La Gruta Del Vino and have the grilled lobster. You won't be disappointed. For 4 mojitos, 1 appie, and 2 main courses it was like 35 cucs. AND you get to sit in this cool little "cave"

We did a lot of walking/stumbling at all hours of the day/night and felt very safe on and off the resort. We went on 2 excursions. The Colonial Havana day trip and the Jeep Safari Trip. We booked both through Sun Wing and were pleased with both. However, I would recommend going on the over night trip to Havana as the day trip was too rushed. The Jeep Safari trip was totally worth the money. We were gone from 8:30am and didn't get back to the hotel until 7:30pm. Oh yeah, Barlovento is one of the last hotels they pick up from and the first one they drop off at after the excursions.

So we really enjoyed our trip to Cuba. You have to remember that compared to Canada or the USA or The UK, Cuba is in a sense, a 3rd world country. So what is considered a 4 star hotel in Cuba is really maybe a 2 star here. It's all what you make it. Cuba is all about 3 things, sun, sand and RUM.

just a few quick points/tips:
-bring your own mug.
-bring your own reusable water bottle
-carry toilet paper with you EVERYWHERE, and learn to "hover" or "squat" cos a lot of the toilets, especially in Havana do not have toilet seats (the resort was fine).
-if you use black pepper, bring your own cos I'm not sure what they had on the tables but it WAS NOT black pepper.
-if you have any clothes for small children that are in good shape bring them and give them to the workers...they will really appreciate stuff like that.
-don't buy cigars from anyone except from a store or an actual cigar factory. Otherwise you could be smokin' poo rolled in banana leaves!

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
5  Thank EvaDestruction
Write a ReviewReviews (2,022)

Reviewed March 30, 2010

The Hotel itself was very pleasant, it was gorgeous, but the only thing that threw our family off, was the staff, they were very nice, But they were VERY unorganized, we had booked ahead if time, so we needed 2 rooms, but like i said, they were VERY unorganized, it was so bad, the entire week we were there, they had overbooked the resort, so the first night there, we had to stay in the "overflow " section, So the next day we had gotten moved into a good room, but we had to wait until atleast 3 o clock to get into the rooms, some days the maid's never cleaned our rooms until 4 or 5 'clock, and there was even a day, where it never got cleaned at all. they were SO overbooked that they had offered us $50.00 to move ro a better resort. And when we needed something, they made it seem like they had no idea as to what was going on. But it was amazing, it was beautiful, I would go back, if they knew what was actually going on.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank turtle0725
Reviewed March 28, 2010

I was in Barlovento from March 14 to march 21, with my daughter. Weather was nice, beach is perfect. The hotel is clean and all the personnel is very nice.
Really good spotted, near the market.
The food is OK, but not much choices, but that is Cuba. Don't go there for food.
There was always people at the lobby bar, met a lot of french peoples and some nice persons from NewFoudland and Winnipeg.
I really appreciated it, would go back to this hotel if I return to Varadreo.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with family
3  Thank Travel_wmy_daughter
Reviewed March 28, 2010

As a start, I'd like to point out that my Husband and I are in our early 50's and are somewhat quiet people. That may reflect on our review, so I just wanted everyone to that fact incase you feel this review is slanted.

We arrived around 11pm and went through the check in process very quickly. At that time of night there was no bell-hop (I'm not sure what the politically correct term is) available and we were the only couple arriving, so we carried our luggage ourselves - no big deal. The only thing I'd suggest to the Barlovento is perhaps more directional lighting and maybe a grounds map)

Our room was large, airy and the bed was a hard as a rock - which I expected based on previous reviews on TripAdvisor. And yes, the pillows are long and flat - tuck one end under while sleeping and they were perfectly fine for us. We were assigned room 288 on the second floor and had a standard balconey plus a Juliette balconey. Yes, the bathroom door is half privacy glass, but that was never an issue for us. In the shower there was a half filled dispenser with shampoo and bath gel - a nice change from what we packed. Hair dryer mounted on the wall with an "on" indicated that worked as a night light as well. When flushing the toilet, just hold down the top button just a wee bit longer then you would when at home (that's not rocket science! LOL) Mostly there was plenty of hot water available with good pressure. When filling the tub for a bath, the water always felt cooler then the shower and the tub was somewhat narrow (that or I gained a heck of a lot more then the 4 LBS my scale tells me!!)

Our room overlooked the two pools (adults with fountain and the childrens pool) and it could be very noisey at night because of the entertainment and disco, but is to be expected due to our location. We could of changed rooms, but it really wasn't an issue once we got into the swing of things.

The pools - the Adult pool and the kids pool we used alot (well, I only used the kids pool that first day jusr ro get wet). Very well maintained and clean. I can't really comment on the other pool because we never went in it, but some people have mentioned that it was dirty, if so, I'm guessing it's because it's closer to the ocean and people accidently bring in sand with them. I saw the cleaning hose in that pool at least twice in the early morning, so the staff are making an effort. None of the pools on the resort are very deep, but they were excellent for jumping into in order to cool off.

The food - well, you'll never go hungry. Well, you might if you're a picky eater. The breads were always amazing!! (I think that's where 2 of my 4 LBS weight gain come from) Cafe con leche must always be drank with the little sugar packet or the taste will make you gag!! I'm still not sure what their fascination is with weiners and sausage, but there where plenty of dishes at breakfast with those items. The omelettes were great and so were the juices. I never tried the bacon, but I'd suggest that you ask the omelette guy to place it on his grill to cook it a bit more. Lunch was usually served down by the beach pool and it would be BBQ style. Mostly a flat thin hamburg patty, and occassionally some chicken or sausage on the outdoor grill. Check the rice by the outdoor grill - it has some wonderful flavours and there's always plenty. You can also find ice cream here at the far end of the salad bar up against the wall, which I didn't find until my last day there. Dinners were back at the main buffet where breakfast is served. Some variety and lots of the same stuff, but like I said, you'll never go hungry. We tried the a la carte restaurants and highly recommend the Italian one. We also enjoyed the Mexican one, but didn't realize that they alternated themes. Monday, Wednesday, Friday for Mexican and on Sunday, Tuesday, Thursdas it's Cuban.

The staff - are warm people and always with a smile. Because we are such reserved people, there was only two or three staff members that we recognized or were comfortable with, but generally found them all to be very accommodating and willing to assist with just about anything. Ask and you will receive was pretty much the order of the day. Just a point here, English appears to be a third learned language for many of them. Native Cuban first, French second and then English. It was amusing to heard some words in English pronounced with a French twist! LOL

There are activities each day, usually between noon and 4. Most of them were held at the main pool, so if you're lounging at the beach pool, you will miss all the fun. Dance lessons were a daily event, but I managed to miss them every time! The announcements are done so quickly and loudly that the only English words I could make out were "Ladies and Gentlemen" and "Thank You". I have no idea what they were talking about in-between those two phrases!

The Cadeca on the resort was handy and I believe there is a small 10% processing fee. The CDN exchange was either 1.15 and/or 1.14 (I didn't check it every day), so for my $100 CDN I got $83 CUC.

the ETC stuff - there is a book exchange down by the shuffle board game, a childrens playground, and large size chess game, a resident cat (who is very pregnant at the moment) and two small dogs. I only saw the critters in the morning and none of them were shy or agressive, just nice sweet reminders of the pets we left at home.

Beach and Location - A plus on this one!! There is a small corner market just outside the hotel heading into Varadero - great for last minute souvenirs. Or walk about 5 minutes further into town for the larger market. A nice easy stroll will take you there with plenty to look at. The beach is prestine clean and the water is shallow and easy to walk in. Mind you the Cubans think we are crazy to go in the ocean at this time of year, but once in, the water is great. The Barlovento does offer lounge chairs on the beach, but the other guests do have a habit of draping their beach towels on the chairs and claiming them all day - even if you never see anyone in them. So if lying ont he beach is important to you, get there early

the Bottom line - the Barlovento has great stuff to offer, but it's realy up to you to take advantage of all they have. You can choose to do nothing each day but lounge around the pool OR you can choose to join in all the fun they offer - it's really up to you

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank puddin57
Reviewed March 27, 2010

We were a little unsure of what to expect due to all the negative reviews we read. Two couples we know had recommended this hotel, so we had high hopes. The Barlovento was a wonderful place to spend our first vacation in Cuba. The staff was friendly, and always willing to assist in any way. Wait staff at the buffet and resteraunts were excellent, no matter what time of day. The lunch buffet outside was lovely. Food was plentiful and tasty. We had no problems with lack of flavor. We brought spices with us, but only used them twice. As for the flies...common, it is outside! The buffet was fine. Lots of variety, with at least three meats each meal. Yes, it is cooked differently than in Canada, but it is a different country after all. I would compare it to good home cooking. A little plain perhaps, but we were certainly not feeling hard done by! Breakfast was awesome, eggs cooked fresh everyday, beautiful omelettes, or perfectly over-easy. If you dont like the way they are cooked, request a little longer on the grill, the chef is happy to oblige! The room was spotless, as was the hallway, stairwell, and outside areas of the hotel. (Our first room on the main floor was somewhat musty, so we asked the porter to find us a room on the third floor. We were happy to tip him for helping us out!) The second room was great. Thank you Arego! He was also very helpful with any information we required, and anxious to make our stay memorable. The only sightly negative thing I can say is that the beds are not new, and they could be replaced. I did bring my own pillow, but my husband was fine with the one provided. Our Sun-wing rep, Jillian, was also amazing. She kept an eye on the weather, and recommended the best days for our excursions; she was right on the money. The weather was not great while we were there, so she did a fantastic job. We enjoyed the entertainment, and we also liked the quiet after 11:00 p.m. Staff at the bars were efficient and quick to serve, the drinks were a little too strong for me, but they were happy to change them to suit my tolerance. As for the smell, we brought along a jar of vicks vapo rub. It helped get past the refinery smell. Also, after about an hour, my husband opened the balcony doors, and the smell disappeared. It seemed to be trapped in the room, and quickly cleared up. There was no smell outside. We only experienced this one night out of seven. It is not a pleasant smell, but certainly no worse than a pulp mill, or oil refinery, or roofing tar in our fair country! You really cant blame the Barlovento for that. The grounds and pool side areas are dilligently kept immaculate. Gardeners, and cleaning women can be seen working everyday. We tipped some of these people and gave them gifts. The beach was amazing, the pools were lovely, the people were amazing, and the other patrons seemed to be enjoying themselves as well. We had a wonderful trip, and met some great people. We would return to this hotel.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank flo59sk
Reviewed March 25, 2010

Right, so here we are, beautiful Cuba, the weather's brilliant, beaches are sandy, rum is free, why would you even need a hotel?

If you need a basic place to crash and you plan to spend most of your day away from your bedroom, Barlovento may as well be your place.

The rooms are ok, spacious and bright but they need some work done SOON.

The service was average-to-friendly, nothing special though, except the cleaners, brill!

One big minus - FOOD is just AWFUL. Don't get me wrong, I am no gourmand, but it was apalling - flies everywhere, the same menu everyday, blah! The only thing that can save your day - try the Mexican restaurant, just make sure you book an advance and tip generously, then you can come back every day!

The beach is nice and long, drinks are fine (but cheap-ish, plastic cups everywhere etc).
We went in August so it was rather quiet, half-empty, and the "cultural programme" on offer was rather tacky. But hey, Varadero's attractions are just round the corner, plenty of day trips etc, so do not despair!

So again - if you need a cheap place with a great seaview, Barlovento is for you. If you need a bit of luxury, I would suggest you look elsewhere.

Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Melafafon
Reviewed March 22, 2010

I have been to Cuba 5 times and know what to expect...safe and friendly people, great beach, average rooms and below average food. We chose this hotel based on the positive feedback and value for the price. Once I booked and based on some of the negative feedback I was a little scared but once we arrived my expectations were exceeded. The hotel was clean and very pretty. The beach was nice and large...the sand is grainy but on either side the sand is finer and softer.
The hotel is located basically around the block from downtown which is good if you want to walk to some flea markets, restaurants and see culture or bad if you don't want to see locals who also have access to the beach. It is all very safe and Cubans are the nicest people. The staff was always friendly and did there best to smile. Side note: People please learn how to say please and thank you in Spanish, it makes a big difference. I didn't tip at the buffet and always got good service. I brought stuff like peanut butter, clothes, shoes instead to give to the staff I kept seeing regularly.
The entertainment at night was above average. The food was ok....I knew what to expect rice, potatoes, french fries and breads were all good...not that good was the cold pork, beef, fried fish, burger and flies at lunch. Bring some snacks from home like chips, granola bars to break up the monotony. The rooms were spacious but the beds were really soft almost hammock like. The maids were friendly and our personal stuff was never touched. It would be good to bring some air freshener and wet wipes.
Overall for the price it was very good especially compared to old hotels nearby like Playa Caleta, Villa Tortuga and Hotel Club Kuwama. If the price was right I would go again.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple