February 1st till the 16th we were at the Barlovento. Our 3rd year there and our 8th in Varadero. We pretty well knew what to expect and things had not changed much in 3 years.
The good stuff: location, beach and staff. The food is OK for me and I can always find something to eat. My husband had no problem with the food. He was quite happy with what was available.
The bad stuff: I am submitting a photo of this poor horse from one of the horsedrawn carriages for tourists. He fell over in front of us and then the owner started poking him with a stick until he got up. A Cuban standing next to me said "oh he is not dead, only tired" They apparently run these horses from 6am till midnight. I would suggest not ever using them. Disgusting.
Sun Wing... I would never use them again. Before we left Canada our trip was changed 3 times, first our departure was to be Feb 4th and then suddenly it was Feb 1st.. If I was not retired by now and still working this would not have worked for me. Fortunately my husband was able to change his holidays. The very worst thing was that on our departure our flight was changed to 8 hours later so this meant we missed our connection to Campbell River at a cost of $440.00 SunWing had no explanation for this change and I feel they should take some resopnsibility for us landing in Vancouver and no way to get home.
We will go back next year but on another airline.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Hotel Roc Barlovento is located on beachfront and just a few meters from town centre of Varadero only 25 km away from the airport.This large Caribbean-style resort is in perfect harmony with its natural surroundings along an extensive, fine white sanded beach and turquoise waters .Adults only hotel, over 16 years.Services Around the gardens, there are a tennis court, a solarium, three swimming pools and one jacuzzi. 3 Out Door Pools Sunbeds & Umbrellas Reception 24 hrsStores, shops Air Conditioning Tourism office GardensInternet, with charge Telephone and fax, with charg eMassage, with charge"All Inclusive" Services Buffet service for breakfast, lunch and dinner 3 á la carte restaurants (prior reservation required and upon availability) Fast food, snacks, grill y paellas. Cocktails, beverages: national and international brands. 24 hrs Service. Non motorized water sports (upon availability), snorkel, windsurf, kayak, pedalboatl, catamaran, windsurf . Voleyball, football, tennis, ping pong, billard, petanca, dards, archery and table games. Basket, beach volley, water polo- Gym Sunbeds andbeach/pool towels Day time entertainment programme: aerobics, yoga, dancing lessons, Spanish lessons, pool/beach games. Evening entertainment with a variety of international shows and theme nights (resident band and dancers)GastronomyThe All Inclusive offer includes, in addition to the three complete buffet meals per day, à la carte meals in the 3 specialty restaurants (with reservation) snacks, alcoholic as well as non-alcoholic drinks throughout the day. A great variety of gastronomical treats awaits our guests in the hotel’s 4 restaurants and 4 bars . The hotel offers a 24 hrs service. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, HotelsClick, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, Cancelon and Evoline ltd so you can book your Hotel Roc Barlovento reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Barlovento Hotel Varadero
- Barlovento Cuba
- Gran Caribe Club Barlovento
- Hotel Barlovento
- Barlovento Varadero