This was my first vacation to Cuba, and we chose to stay at Barlovento Hotel for its great price! I travelled with my boyfriend, as we stayed for 5 nights and 6 days. We paid around around $800 (including the tax and the flight) per person. And this was during the high season near the Christmas week. Regardless of the disappointing events that occurred during our vacation (such as having our luggage lost for 3 days) I will be only reviewing the resort.
One of my favourite things about this resort is its great location. The ride from the Varadero airport to Barlovento was no longer than 20 min. It is located at the front of the resort strip in Varadero. I was able to explore around the resort, as there was a small market about 3 min walk away. There was even a larger market that was only a 10 min walk away. These markets have a great variety of souvenir items. I was able to get some cute bracelets and necklaces. There are many Hop-on-hop-off double decker buses that take you along the Varadero strip for only 5 CUC. Hold onto this ticket because it is valid for the whole day!
Probably one of the only things I was warned about before travelling to Cuba was its food. Though I must say, it's definitely not as bad as I've anticipated. But then again, I did arrive with low expectations. The buffet provided a good amount of choices. Though it became quite repetitive, as the choices didnt seem to change a lot each day. But that wasn't a huge problem for us, as we're not picky eaters.
The beach was absolutely beautiful! The vibrant blue water along with soft and smooth sand. It was perfect. I felt the resort did a great job on maintaining the beach area, as it was very clean. It was definitely a large beach, and there were plenty of beach chairs for everyone.
The big disappointment for us was the room. Overall, it seemed very outdated and the atmosphere was gloomy, perhaps because of where our room was facing, we didn't get much sunlight. The television was small and old. The beds were quite uncomfortable, and we had to request more pillows. But then again, whats the point of staying in your room all day when you're at a resort?? The bathroom's cleanliness was poor, but we didn't have any major problems with the showers or such. Also, our room was right next to the lobby, and surprisingly, it wasn't too noisy.
Most of the staff were very warm and friendly. The staff at the buffet welcomed us with large warm smiles, and provided an overall great service. Our maid didn't speak fluent English; however, we really appreciated the small notes she wrote to us every now and then.
One of the most devastating event that occurred was that our luggage was lost for a good 3 days. What's even more frustrating was that our vacation provider, Sunwing, didn't seem to be very involved with keep us updated. So it was a waiting game..and that feeling just sucks! Instead of our Sunwing rep helping us, the excursion organizer at the resort was more than helpful, as she dealt with most of the communicating with the airport and airline. Eventually, they delivered the luggages to our rooms.. on the 3rd day of our stay.
Despite all the unfortunate events, I had a pleasant time at the resort. Although it is a small, there is still a lot of explore around the resort. However, I will not be returning if I were to return to Varadero. As I was travelling on the double decker bus, we passed by some really nice and large resorts towards the end of the Varadero strip. Plus, I always like to try out new places!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Hotel Roc Barlovento is located on beachfront and just a few meters from town centre of Varadero only 25 km away from the airport.This large Caribbean-style resort is in perfect harmony with its natural surroundings along an extensive, fine white sanded beach and turquoise waters .Adults only hotel, over 16 years.Services Around the gardens, there are a tennis court, a solarium, three swimming pools and one jacuzzi. 3 Out Door Pools Sunbeds & Umbrellas Reception 24 hrsStores, shops Air Conditioning Tourism office GardensInternet, with charge Telephone and fax, with charg eMassage, with charge"All Inclusive" Services Buffet service for breakfast, lunch and dinner 3 á la carte restaurants (prior reservation required and upon availability) Fast food, snacks, grill y paellas. Cocktails, beverages: national and international brands. 24 hrs Service. Non motorized water sports (upon availability), snorkel, windsurf, kayak, pedalboatl, catamaran, windsurf . Voleyball, football, tennis, ping pong, billard, petanca, dards, archery and table games. Basket, beach volley, water polo- Gym Sunbeds andbeach/pool towels Day time entertainment programme: aerobics, yoga, dancing lessons, Spanish lessons, pool/beach games. Evening entertainment with a variety of international shows and theme nights (resident band and dancers)GastronomyThe All Inclusive offer includes, in addition to the three complete buffet meals per day, à la carte meals in the 3 specialty restaurants (with reservation) snacks, alcoholic as well as non-alcoholic drinks throughout the day. A great variety of gastronomical treats awaits our guests in the hotel’s 4 restaurants and 4 bars . The hotel offers a 24 hrs service. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, HotelsClick, Evoline ltd and Cancelon so you can book your Hotel Roc Barlovento reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Barlovento Hotel Varadero
- Barlovento Cuba
- Gran Caribe Club Barlovento
- Hotel Barlovento
- Barlovento Varadero