“Good all round hotel”

Ranked #8 of 64 Hotels in Varadero
High Wycombe, United Kingdom
“Good all round hotel”
Reviewed May 3, 2014

We had a fantastic 10 days at is hotel. We have two children aged 5 and 9, they were so well catered for we couldn't have asked for more. The staff were friendly and attentive especially in the buffet restaurant, they loved the children. There was plenty of kids activities with mini-club, all of the staff were great, our children loved them. The resort is very well maintained, our junior suite was perfect for us, we spent little time in it really. The 5 restaurants are all great, we couldn't complain about any - just remember that you are in Cuba so everything has a Cuban touch, just as it would In England. You don't go to Cuba to eat Chinese, you try his restaurant for a change and it was lovely! The hotel is well located and you can walk to the American mall for anything you might need or just to stretch your legs. We really loved it here and would recommend to any families, it was relaxing, enjoyable and fun.

Room Tip: The junior suite slept 4 well, the sofa bed wasn't in great condition - but to be honest if we h...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank Kelly M
alc52, Director General at Sol Palmeras, responded to this review, May 7, 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for having chosen our hotel for your holidays with your family. We are glad to know you enjoyed these holidays among us in Sol Palmeras, and that your children were delighted with our hotel.

We appreciate all your complimentary comments about our hotel. Thank you for recommending us.

Hoping you choose Sol Palmeras again for your holidays. Receive best regards.

Tomeu Alcina

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (627)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Sydney, Canada
Reviewed April 30, 2014

I just returned from a one week vacation at this resort and it has been one of the best weeks of my life! The staff at Sol Palmeras especially Niecy, Celestino and Ormondo were excellent representatives not only for the Resort but especially for the people of Cuba. They went out of their way to make us feel like "one of the family"!! Their kindness, hospitality and friendship has left a warm place in my heart for them all and I will remember them forever! This was my first trip but definitely not my last! This is now my favorite place to visit! Please remember people, that when you are treated with such special attention, it should be rewarded. Please remember to TIP, AND TIP OFTEN!!! They rely on our help to support their families. They will never ask and will treat you with such respect with or without your tip, but please repay their kindness with your financial support whenever possible! They go out of their way to treat everyone with compassion and always with a smile! PLEASE return their warmth and kindness with your own!
C. Mason

Room Tip: We stayed in the two bedroom, two story bungalow and highly recommend it for privacy and it was very...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
4 Thank CMason130
alc52, Director General at Sol Palmeras, responded to this review, May 6, 2014
Dear guest,

We appreciate that you have chosen our hotel for your holidays, and we are glad to know you what you expressed, that you enjoyed them and maybe were one of the best of your life. This made us feel happy.

We thank you, with all our heart, for your review published and shared on the Trip Advisor. We will proudly congratulate on your behalf the persons you mentioned, who are excellent workers and people. We are lucky to have the staff we have in our hotel.

Very glad to know, by reading, on your review, that this was your first trip, but not the last.

Looking forward to seeing you in our hotel among us again.

Thunder Bay, Canada
Reviewed April 29, 2014

Well to start I'll have to say that Cuba is now my favorite place that I have travelled, the people are amazing and the country is beautiful. Now for the people that I've read leaving bad reviews about this resort is something I'm never going to understand. If you come to these countries with a bad attitude and expecting to be waited on hand and foot, GET A LIFE! and please do not come to make all the rest of our times miserable...but anyway I have to say that at Sol Palmeras you WILL have a great time there is lots to always do. The one thing i didn't notice with other reviews is any mention of the fitness center, so let me tell you that "yes" there is a fitness center and quite an impressive one at that. There is also a night club kinda thing as well and its called 'The Fun Pub' open from 11pm-4am.
The service of the hotel was great, there are some incredibly nice people that work at this resort and they really make the trip worth while, if there were any mistakes they were always corrected immediately with no hassel at all. The maids were amazing specially due to the fact that when we had a loose toilet lid we didn't really care to say anything because it didn't really bother us but it was fixed for us without us even asking. The cleaniness was never an issue as everything was always so very clean, there was never a time was I thought things could have been cleaner, like I said the service is amazing all over the resort.
Now for food in Cuba, people will usually say be ready to lose weight and honestly I feel that if you're a picky eater then sure you will probably whine and cry that there's nothing to eat but if you are 'normal' then there is tons to eat at all hours of the day and night. The buffet has a bit of everything which you can choose from, there was always something that I enjoyed. Now for the A la carte restaurants that we went too, all I have to say is WoW! They were the best I have had and I travel all over the place. The ones I went to were The Chinese, The Mexican, and the Italian. The Chinese one blew me away the food was so delicious, people said it was the best and I couldn't agree more (spring rolls were the best!), The Mexican was great, it had an authentic feel to it and was fun along with the servers being so nice really made that evening special. The Italian was our last one and by chance we were able to get in as the resort really did us a favour considering we forgot to book ahead of time for this one. Anyway the outside of the restaurant looks pretty awesome but the cool thing is when you walk in, it really doesn't feel like you're in Cuba anymore and has a really great italian feel to the restaurant, all the food in all of those restaurants are amazing and you will not be dissapointed. OH!! Everything I ate was cooked and warm, I don't know what people were talking about with eating cold food unless they want it burning there mouth? haha...
The activities were so much fun specially having mojitos at the pool with the daily quiz, its the best way to meet people, there was beach aerobics and the best of all on Friday night they have an incredible beach foam party and it is insane and such a blast.
The bars are excellent, now I have to mention two bars where I had the best experience. #1 and my favorite was El Mojito bar at the pool, they make the best mojitos ever hence the name haha, along with all the bartenders making it such a great expierence..and the lobby bar which is open 24/7, I have to give a shout out to Estaban who works between 5PM-2AM at the lobby bar, that guy went up and above to get us whatever we needed...you my friend made our experience at the resort so memorable thank you for everything you did for us.
If you're gonna go on a excursion and want to party I would have to definitely recommend the Catamaran it was sooo much fun, they really know how to party and the dolphins were so intelligent and funny. If you want a true feel for the country of Cuba I would recommend taking the day trip to Havana thats the only way, it all depends on your preference.
For tipping, I never felt I had to tip or even felt pressured but when I did tip regardless for what it was everyone were all so appreciative and would be so very thankful.
My family made friends with so many people down there that we will DEFINITELY be going back again, along with my friend from Argentina..you guys are amazing and I was so happy to have met and partied with you :)
My brothers and I stayed in room 3063 which we found perfect as it look over the pool area. After eating one night I went for a walk throughout the resort grounds and I noticed how cool the bungalows looked and next time we go back we might have to try one of those because it looked very home like.
For souvenirs to bring back home there was always something at the resort which is great incase you didn't want to go off into town. But if you wanted to you could easily take the bus into Varadero and shop among the markets (lots of stuff to see), Cigars can be found on the resort and off and prices vary but its Cuba so you will never have any trouble finding them haha.
All n all there isn't anything negative to say about this resort because everyone who works there really made our family vacation amazing, Mucho Gracias! at Sol Palmeras you guys made me love Cuba so much that I will always be coming back! Our ages were 16-22-28-54-56! and Everyone enjoyed themselves!

Room Tip: If you want a good view from your belcony, I would definitely say the rooms overlooking the pool are...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
8 Thank Corey B
alc52, Director General at Sol Palmeras, responded to this review, May 6, 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for choosing Sol Palmeras for your holidays, which you enjoyed very much.

We appreciate your review with your complimentary comments published on the Trip Advisor, this is the best reward we can receive from our guests. It enhance our daily work. And to know that your family also enjoyed their holidays, made us very proud and satisfied.

We will share your review with the hotel staff.

With pleasure, you will have your room at the bungalows area, on your next stay.

Looking forward to seeing you among us in our hotel, receive best regards.

Calgary
Reviewed April 28, 2014 via mobile

First things first.... Sunwing night flight ... SUCKS!!!!!.... If you booked it cancel!.

Ok now that has been said on to the review! Lol
We arrived at 4:30am in the morning to a very cranky front desk staff... Only to find out that they would not have any rooms available until 4 pm that day....so we said ok as there was nothing we could do or they were willing to help us with!... So we put our luggage in a lock up room and slept on the beach chair for a few hours getting eaten by sand fleas and Mosquitos..... After mulling around for 12 hours kind of stuck at there mercy we prodded them to find out if our room was ready.... 3:40pm it was ready... Yeah.... Not lol
So they grabbed our stuff and drove us to the room 444.... We opened the door and it was raining inside.... The Ac unit was broken!.... The bell hop made a call to have the maintenance guy come to fix... So there we sat for yet another 30 minutes. Along comes the maintenance guy with a ladder and he opens up the unit.... Spins the wheel and holly crap it was snowing in Cuba!.... I thought we left that crap behind... I guess not!
After about 10 minutes he deemed it unfixable and we were taken to another room 231.... Much closer and cleaner then the previous room!

So once again DONT take the night flight because they will not have a room for you!

So after all that ..... And pretty much a whole day wasted in limbo we got to start our vacation!.... I really should get a refund for that day... Sol Palmeras I know your reading this!

FOOD:
Buffet is edible .... Breakfast was very underwhelming .... A monkey could do better
Lunch and dinner were good and had decent items!
Alacarts: Mexican horrible, Chinese very good, steak house might as well serve shoe soles as there steak....seafood house had great seafood and excellent steak!
Hamburgers are HAM burgers
The grilled sandwiches are funny but edible

POOL:
I own a pool and would not dare get in that one... Cloudy and smelled on chlorine and that spells trouble!

BEACH:
Very nice beach... Nice white sand plenty of seats except you have to play the towel game... Sigh!..... Water was blue blue and warm.
Watch out for the blue jelly fish a kid had a hell of a sting on his leg. The jellies seem to come in when the waves were big.... Some snookering to the left side .... Nothing great but lots of shells can be found!

BARS:
Hotel bar is great ....staff is great....
Pool bar mediocre as they are like drones pumping out drinks
Beach bar was good!
7 year rum ask for it as they will feed you the cheaper stuff otherwise!

Rooms:
Bungalow is the way to go just try to get one closer to the hotel unless you don't mind a little walk..... When your drunk at night the sidewalks can be a bit challenging lol
The beds were stiff the room was a little dated the doors didn't close right .
Flat screen tv
Mini fridge empty .... So why have it?
One bed had a " crap smear" on it so i pulled it off so it could be changed.... Gross!
After tipping the cleaning lady well we always had lots if TP, towels and bottled water everyday!... So tip people don't be cheap it helps you in the long run !

GARDENS and GROUNDS
Average to poor .... Need better gardeners as the landscaping is mediocre!
The sidewalks are intresting!
Watch your step!

STAFF:
Front desk should all be fired not helpful and very arrogant .... I always was very friendly ...so there were just not helpful and really didn't care..
Bar staff excellent
Buffet staff excellent
Alacart staff : Mexican hopeless, Chinese rude, seafood great, steakhouse no comment!

SHOWS:
Never saw one so can't comment.... Live entertainment at hotel bar was good though!

If you like clubbing it at night the international in Varadero is great on Thursdays for you single guys... And the pirates cave on Mondays is rocking!

If you want to go to Havana rent a private Taxi.... $ 130 for two people and it's an all day adventure.... The nice thing about doing it this way is your not stuck on the tour buses schedule ....and the driver takes you for an Awsome lunch at your expense....
Call: Misael Lantigua (+53) 52955721
Great guy ... Very knowledgable and will take care of you .... Speaks good English too !
He works for CUBATAXI.

Going into Varadero just go out of the resort and catch the double decker buses 5 cuc for all day transfer.. Just remember if you get on a red one you must use the red one ... Same goes for the blue green ones.
Lots of little shops in town for all you shoppers.

Changing money..... I did most of mine at the hotel at the front desk..... The exchange sucks.... The banks are a few cents better but you need your passport!.... Bank machines accept debit cards ...well the td ones anyhow!

Tipping.... If you want great service all week tip well the first few days they remember you trust me!... Don't be cheap! Yes I'm taking to you !!!!!

A few last notes:
Lobby and main hotel area always smelled like sewer?.. Might of been from inside pond?
The gym looked new

I think with a little help this resort could be a great resort.... Dress it up a bit, refine the food a bit, and fire the front desk staff and it could be a true five star!

Over all an average resort, I know I always seem to point out the negative but I would return....

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank polosdog
alc52, Director General at Sol Palmeras, responded to this review, May 7, 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for choosing our hotel for your holidays, and that, in spite of the difficulties, you enjoyed your stay among us in Sol Palmeras.

We regret you did not have your room at your arrival, because our hotel was at 100% full that day, and, as rooms should be cleaned before being occupied by the guests who are arriving, they should wait meanwhile. This is not the first time it happens, departure flights are delayed sometimes, and it is more difficult in our hotel with the high occupancy levels we usually have.

We appreciate your review published on the Trip Advisor, the positive comments are an incentive for us to continue doing things well, and the negative comments are the opportunity we have to improve our work and make it even better.

ALl your comments have been analyzed with our area managers, and they will take the necessary corrective actions, to avoid other guests would have similar comments.

Your review help us a lot, to pursue the goal of being a great resort.

Hoping to welcome you in another opportunity, receive best regards.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 27, 2014

My wife, our daughter and myself spent 10 days at Sol Palmeras and we loved it. We stayed in a two storey bungalow and it had all the amenities we required (we weren't sure what to expect given Cuba's limited imports - so we set our expectations lower than we would for other Carribean islands). We were approximately 10minutes walk from the hotel itself. Several people have complained about the distance of the bungalows from the hotel, but if you are capable of walking for twenty minutes you should be ok!

The all inclusive restaurant was really good. Again, I had gone expecting limited options, but was greeted with a good variety of fruits, salads, meats, cheeses etc. There was also a good variety of alcoholic beverages - highly recommend the 7 year old Havana Club rum.

The staff were very helfpul and friendly and went out of the way to help us with our baby. There were some language barriers as we needed extra bottled water for her feeds, which we were told would be brought to the bungalow, but it took a week of asking for this to happen - frustrating at the time, but we realised we were not being helpful not speaking much Spanish.

Went for ten days of relaxation and it was exactly what we needed!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank mad_scientist83
alc52, Director General at Sol Palmeras, responded to this review, May 2, 2014
Dear guest,

We are glad to know that you and your family enjoyed your stay in our hotel, among us, during 10 days.

Thank you very much for your review published on the Trip Advisor, and we apologise for the delay replacing water.

Hoping you choose Sol Palmeras again, receive best regards.

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed April 26, 2014

All activities and most restaurants are clustered on one side of the resort (the hotel side). If you stay in a bungalow, choose room 1xx which will be closer to the main building. Unfortunately I was in bungalow 502 which was very far. The 2-story bungalow was nice and quiet. That area has a Chinese restaurant (dinner-only) and a bar that is open until 5PM. I wish the restaurant was serving breakfast/lunch and the bar was open until midnight so we wouldn't have to walk and forth to the main building.

Pros:
- nice and friendly staff
- clean and comfortable room
- nice beach

Cons:
- same breakfast and lunch buffet everyday
- long walk to bungalow 5xx
- 10 CUC cab ride to the town
- only one bar on the beach and off to one side (closer to the main building)
- no server on the beach

Room Tip: Younger & single travellers: choose a hotel room in the main building Bungalow: choose 1xx or 2...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Nakara
alc52, Director General at Sol Palmeras, responded to this review, May 5, 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for choosing Sol Palmeras Hotel for your holidays. We appreciate your positive and negative comments on your review, which were published on the Trip Advisor.

Special mention deserves your positive comment about our staff, which we appreciate it very much. And we kindly inform you, we will work to improve breakfast and lunch.

We took note of your suggestion about our Chinese Restaurant and about the Snack Bar located at bungalows Area 5.

Hoping you choose our hotel again for your holidays, receive best regards.

Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 25, 2014 via mobile

We stayed at Sol Palmeras 10-24 April booked through Virgin, 4 adults and 1 child.

Our two rooms were on 3rd floor facing the pool, they were a little tired on decor but we were pleased with their location and preferred them to a bungalow. Maid service was good but towels, sheets etc were often stained (with a rust-like colour). There was a fridge in the room but nothing in it which was disappointing - it would be great if this were stocked with a couple of beers, water & juice like other hotels we have stayed at. Air con and shower worked nicely in our room & bed comfy. There is a safe in the room, need to ask reception for the key (free). Beach towels could be replaced anytime up to 6pm.

Food is good. We used the buffet the most and also ate at the Chinese, Mexican, Italian and Seafood a la carte restaurants. I am vegetarian and whilst unsurprisingly choice wasn't great we were happy with the food & the Seafood restaurant put a veg dish together for me.

Beach is one of the best we have visited, very soft sand and lovely warm sea. Our party made use of the non motorised boats too. We had no trouble getting sunbeds as long as we got them before we had breakfast.

Bars were good and we found the staff at the bars, reception, animation team and other staff around the hotel to be friendly. We liked that there was a choice of bars to go to at night including the pool bar until midnight. We saw the evening entertainment a few times and enjoyed it, especially the beach foam party on Friday night.

Overall the hotel was clean and well maintained, we felt safe and welcome and we all had a fantastic holiday we thoroughly enjoyed & will never forget.

We did 2 excursions through Virgin: (1) Havana overnight inc. Pinar del Rio and (2) Canamar River. I would absolutely recommend the Canamar River day trip. Havana was very fast paced and tiring but I think it's a must-do and it includes Tropicana (don't pay to take pictures at Tropicana unless you have a good camera with you - our seats were at the back and pictures from my iPhone were small and fuzzy).

Holiday tips: take plenty of suncream, an insulated cup (as drinks outside are served in very small plastic disposable cups), insect bite cream. Take plenty of water on any excursions you do. We spent approx £1000 between 5 of us over the 2 weeks (including excursions).

Stayed April 2014
4 Thank Zedbees
alc52, Director General at Sol Palmeras, responded to this review, May 5, 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for having chosen our hotel to stay on your recent holidays, and we are glad to know you enjoyed them.

We appreciate all your comments on your review, published on the Trip Advisor.

We inform you we took note of your remark about the fridge, but fill the fridge is not in our standards, nevertheless, we will take your comment into account.

We were very pleased to read on your review that you had fantastic holidays which you will never forget.

Looking forward to welcoming you again in our hotel, receive best regards.