“A great hotel for a great holiday.....”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Sol Palmeras

Sol Palmeras
Ranked #8 of 63 Hotels in Varadero
Cologne, Germany
“A great hotel for a great holiday.....”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2008

I am just back from 2 weeks at the Sol Palmeras....and what can I say, it was just perfect.

Check-In
Despite some earlier review, this was done very quick. No need to leave Passport at reception, room allocated (got the one I requested...nice touch) and then brought to the room. Good start

Room
Nice size, clean, and next to the pool. I couldn't complain at all. Thankfully only stayed there to sleep and for a quick break during the day, as there was rain only once during the eveneing.

OK, firstly remember, the main restaurant is just a buffet. But surprisingly, I enjoyed it. I always had a fresh prepared Omelet in the morning. One advise, ensure it is cooked long enough. If you think it was not long enough on the oven, just let the guys know, and they will leave it on longer. Add some rolls, jam, and nice pancakes, and it is a great start in the morning. Lunch can be either taken in the buffet (similar dishes as during dinner), or have a nice Burger or Hotdog or sandwich at the bar between beach and pool, or the beach bar. Some ice cream and fruits was served there as well. Nice and light. Had it nearly every day...and enjoyed it.
Now to Dinner. there are five additional restaurants, and you need to pre-book it. I forgot it most of the time so went only to the Steakhouse (very very nice...the steak was the way I like it, and try one of the kebabs that are cooked in front of you) and the Cuban one (I liked it as well but not as much as the Steakhouse). I heard the Italian and the Chinese was pretty good as well, but the Fondu one was apparently not too good.
But I must say, I didn't mind th buffet in the evening, as you can get there freshly cooked fish, pasta and meat every night. I love fish, and got different fish every night nicely cooked. Otherwise the already prepared food was OK, but nothing special. Just a buffet. But overall I thought the food was good. No complains from my side.

Pool
The pool area is nice, with a lot sun loungers available, a bar between the pools (cannot swim to the bar though) and there is always something to do (waterpolo, water volleyball, archery, darts etc). It was never boring there, and I spend most of my time there

Beach
The beach was perfect. The sand was fine, the water was clear and warm with some fishes to see. Not a perfect place to snorkel though. You can get a catamaran ride there, get a pedal boat or kajak. Unfortunately there are nott too many shade places, so be there a bit early (before 10am). if you like to sit in the sun, there is enough places for it though

Bars
Pleanty of bars there (inside and outside), who serve nice drinks (with a lot of alcohol, had to mention not to put too much in it from time to time). Most of the staff is friendly on the bars, and there is always a relaxed atmosphere . So relaxed, I only went out once into town. The fun pub is a good laugh, with some dance lessions and good music.
The only disappointing thing was that the bar in the Foyer only served Mojtos until 9.30, which is too early in my opion as you had to go to the pool bar to get one afterwards. Also during two nights you got the impression that the staff at the foyer bar tried to get you away after 3am, though it is a 24h bar.

Staff
Entertainment staff was great. they get you involved, but leave you alone if you say so. I had a blast with them during the day, dinner and night time.
Most other staff are always helpful, with some exceptions though. Of course these exception didn't get a tip, otherwise please tip when you think you get a good service.

Overall I had a fantastic time there. I met so many people who said the same about this hotel. Of course the perfect weather helped a lot.
Would I return to the hotel? If I could go now, I would return immediately. Not even sure I would like to go to another hotel in Varadero, as I probably had my best ever holiday there so far.
Please let me know if you have any questions

• Liked — Staff, beach and atmosphere
  • Disliked — Leaving it....
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled solo
7 Thank Scotsman79

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (622)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2008

We stayed in Sol Pamera from June 21 to 28 (my mom, my younger sister, my husband and our 8 years old son in total 5 persons from Toronto), we are still excited from this trip. Before we went there I reviewed this helpful sites and made notes, thanks for all useful information that every one posted them here. I would like to share my family's fresh experiences with the new travellers now and hopefully it will help for your preparation to Cuba.

General comments:

1. This resort Pamera is an excellent resort, we visited the neighbour 5 stars resort Sol Media, but we preferred Pamera.

2. All staffs in the resort are friendly and very helpful, nothing to complain. Please remember, treat others the way you want to be treated.

3.A la Carter restaurants:

Chinese food was not Chinese for us, more western Chinese style.

Steak's quality incomparable with Canadians.

Lobster was over cooked. I had Lobster three times, but if you have digestion problem, don't eat lobster, don't eat shrimps with alcohol, don't drink any fresh juice, don't eat ice cream.

In the buffet restaurant, the fish bar was excellent, Monk fish is recommended, but they don't offer all the time. My son loved the pizza and lasagna.

French fondue was great and my son loved it. Since my diarrhoea started and I did not eat the cheese fondue.

Italian Restaurant was very good, shouldn't be missed.

4.Every Wednesday is coconut festival and fresh coconut was provided in the pool area. Please be careful, after I drunk the fresh coco juice from the coco fruit, my stomach burned and I became sick on that day. But my other family members did not have that problem.

5.Every evening there is a free evening show beside the Solon on the main floor. Kids show starts at 8:30, and adult show starts at 9:30pm, every day's program posts on the door. We loved the show.

6. There is free dance lesson at 5pm at the pool area, my husband and I loved that one too.

7. We went to booking desk every day aroun 11am to book the seats for table dinner. Never saw line up.

Tips:

1. Bring mosquito spray!!! My mom, my sister and I were bitten badly, especially my sister, her arms were swollen. I got around 20 bits and the areas became swollen, red and water came out, looked very awful. We did not dare going out in the evening. But my husband and my son had no problem with these annoying mosquitoes. If mosquitoes love your skin and blood, never never book a bungalow since these areas are mosquito's home too, we were attacked badly by mosquitoes in this areas when we walked by. This was a nightmare! Even though I am sitting in front of my PC at home now and writing about our enemies I started felling itchy.

2.Bring diarrhea and stomach medicine. On the last two days every one in our family had diarrhea. I had a little fever, after I took Tylenol I was OK next day. On the last night, my younger sister had a very sever stomach pain, vomiting and diarrhea. I called the emergency doctor at the midnight at 12, in 30 min. the doctor came with a nurse, she got two shots, the pain, vomitting and diarrhea stopped. In about 40min. the doctor sent a pharmacist to our resort and brought us medicines. In total we paid 129 pesos that was CND $ 150. The doctor was great and nice, he could speak very good English. Don't forget to ask for an English receites if you can claim from your insurence company.

3.We booked one day Havana trip, 67 Pesos/adult, my son paid 52 Pesos, this included a lunch. From Varadeo to Havana about 2 hrs drive, and my son felt very bored. The tour guide was great, did not asked for any tips, but we tipped him very well.

4. We took a boat adventure, 39 Pesos/adult, 20 pesos/Kids. You will get a motor boat for 3 people and drive on the sea, include a stop in a small island with visiting a small zoo, like snake, crocodile, flamenco. Kids will enjoy this tour. Be careful with boat English guide, his name could be named Henry (Sorry, I could not remember exactly), before the tour started he explained us how to drive the boat and than he said he was waiting for generous tips, 5 Pesos/
person. Actually he did not do a lot things for you, he only drove his boat at the front and brought us to the island. This tour is about 2 hrs, after the tour finished, he stopped on the main gate, hold a 10 pesos bill and asked every one to give him tips. It looked like either you pay me or you don't pass the gate. Some tourist did not give him anything and they started argue with him. I was very upset by his rude behaviour, only gave him 2 pesos and some small souvenir that I brought from Canada. After I came back to the resort, I went to the local tour desk, told the lady who I bought this tour from. She said she would call him.

5. Catamaran Cruise with lobster lunch at Cayo Blanco Island, 69 Pesos/Adult, Kids free. If you already book the boat adventure, you may not need to book this Cruise.

6.Swim with Dolphin: very fun and recommended. 39 Pesos/adult, kids free.

7. I booked a combo tour that included Catamaran Cruise and swim with Dolphin, 99Pesos/adult, my son no need to pay. This was a whole day trip 5pm came back to resort. It was a little bit to long and overlapped with our boat adventure tour. But we enjoyed this tour.

8. There is a free train ride between Pamera, Sol Melia and the shopping center America Plaza. The driver will offer you his help to take a photo for you, certainly he will expect your tips too.

9. Be careful with tips. We were asked for tips very offten. Sometimes I had the feeling that some people forced us to give them tips.

• Liked — everthing
  • Disliked — mosquitoes! I hate them!!!
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
3 Thank Shelly_Huang
Devon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2008

We have just come back from a fantastic holiday in Varadero after staying in the Sol Palmeras for 2 weeks.
The hotel is beautiful - big and spacious with stunning tropical gardens. Our room was a standard room which was really spacious and overlooked the pool and the basketball courts with a bed so big we could have taken my whole family! The pools are great and despite what some reviews have said, they are well kept and clean. Obviously some palm leaves will blow into it during the course of the day but hey - you're in paradise so who cares?! The beach is quite breath taking the first time you see it...white sand and water so turquoise it looks like something out of a movie and the sea water is so warm its like bath water!! The entertainment staff are cool and not annoying - they run all sorts of activities all day round the pool and on the beach so you are well catered for whether you want to chill by the pool or get up and do things.
The restaurants were fab we couldn't decide our favourite between the Italian, the Chinese and the steak house and the waiting staff are so friendly. These people work very long shifts and if you learn a bit about Cuba, the regime etc you will understand they dont get paid alot and they dont have a lot so little tips go a really long way and they so appreciate them. The buffet restaurant was very good and had lots of selection so cater for lots of different tastes but i would recommend the a la carte restaurants for dinner to vary it!
We did three trips, havana by day, swimmimg with dolphins and the catamaran trip. All were well run, well organised and well worth the money even though they were not that expensive. Havana is like being in a film set, it is quite an experience and if you take the time to learn a little about Cuban culture and the way they live and what happened after the revoloution you will get far more out of it. We also met some lovely people and a couple of nights went out of the hotel to a bar in downtown Varadero called bar 62. It was brilliant with live Cuban music, rum punch, mojitos and all the locals come out and gather outside the bar to dance salsa and get right into the music - it was like a fiesta and i would definately recommend the experience. Tourism is massive in Cuba as it supports the economy so although you will encouter the odd beggar as it is a very poor country, crime against tourists is nil - you should feel very safe.
All in all we had a fantastic time and would recommend it to anyone, you will always get a few people who arent happy unless they can moan about something but dont let them put you off!!!

• Liked — Everything!!
  • Disliked — Nothing!!
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
4 Thank robbo265
Caledon Ontario
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2008

we went to the Sol Palmeras from May 18- June 1st for our wedding,We had za group of 30 with us so we kept busy the first week.
This resort is extremely nice I would recommend it to anyone.
There is one thing though, the food is not that great here, the buffet is horrible, the al la cartes are fine though.
the breakfast in the buffet is ok (bacon eggs etc.) but to eat dinner or lunch is aweful, so make sure you have reservations at one of the 4 a la cartes you'll be fine. There is also a pizza nova at the Los Amercian shopping center that you can buy pizza.

But all and all you dont go to Cuba for the food.

Our wedding was on the first Thursday, we had our ceremony in the gazebo near the pool area, everything turned out perfect, it was hot but thats expected, This was the most stress free wedding i would say. No stress really on the bride and groom , just relax and let the resort do everything for you.
After the ceremony we went on a horse and carriage ride to varadero. I would recommend this, When we came back we all went to the beach again for pictures, Because of the water and sand all over our dresses and tuxedos, we all went back to our rooms, changed and went for our dinner around 8pm
All in all the wedding was perfect, after dinner and dancing etc. we returnd to our room and ther was rose petals from the door way to the bed, on the bed were swan towels and roses all of the bed as well, this was beautiful.
We had our room upgraded to a bungalow when we arrive the first day #129 bungalow we had, this is beautiful and very close to everything. ask for this room if possible.

Trips
we acutally did a few as we stayed for 2 weeks.

see doing- this is alot of fun and probably the least expensive.
you ride around 2 people to a see doo then they take you to an island where you can see baby crocodiles, and other strange animals. This trip is only around 2 hours.

Trip to Havna
This city is beautiful, a must see, the architectural aspect of it is amazing, beautiful buildings.
i will warn you though, the locals on the streets will bother you to do things for money, (eg draw you, take pictures etc)
not scary jsut annoying. so watch out for that.

Jeep safari- by far the best trip for you money.
You drive a 4x4 little blue suzuki jeep, 4 people per jeep.]
they take you off roading through the city of Montanzas,
first stop you get to go jet boating, again 4 people per boat,
you can drive them, you just go down a canal, i think about 3 miles. then off to go snorkeling at another stop. this is great, there is a man there that will take pictures of you under the water with all the colourful fish, You can buy the picture afterwards, they send it to your hotel.
then off to a fresh water under ground cave you can go swimming in to get the salt water off from snorkeling.
this is great
then last you go to a coffe been farm to have lunch, you can ride horsed (free) and loot at all the animals there, see where the slaves were kept back in the day.
Then back to varadero and a bus takes you back to your resort,
Now this is all day 8am-around 5pm
worth every penney.

There is also flea markets about 10 minutes from the resort you can go and buy great souveniers. (warning the stuff sold in the resort you can get much cheaper at the flea market)

Al Capones house is about 15 minutes from there as well, this is a beautiful house.

We rented mopeds at the resort and went to see this on our own.
$12 i thinkg for 2-3 hours.
its fun
'This resort i would definatley recommend to anyone
i really enjoyed myself and am glad we chose this resort to go and have our wedding at as well as our honeymoon.
I would definatley go back.
if you can get past the food (which you can) you'll do fine
bring, chips, cookies, ketcup, granola bars things like that , they do not have this stuff here,
They do have ketchup but it is like watered down sweet and sour sauce.

Even though we had a tough time with the food i would still go back in a minute.

The people are soo nice there, they treat you like royalty

May is hot but beutiful flowers, trees and it is liveable.
i mean there is the ocean and beer to cool you down all day
hahaha

melissa

Stayed May 2008
4 Thank marriedmissy
oxford
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2008

We spent 2 week at sol palmeras in may we had a great time in this lovely hotel we are going back next year in may. The room are nice and big we had a standard room which over looked the pool area but as there was lot of palm tree you couldn't actually see the pool. The maids was very friendly and came and clean you room daily and also put a bottle of water in your room every day . The buffet restaurant was for breakfast;lunch and dinner plenty of choice they also cook food in front of you the pizza are good and the waiter are very friendly and if you tip than they can't do a enought for you. The other restaurant are the chinese what is nice and italian restaurant is ok but are favourte one was the steakhouse. we went 3 time. at lunch time you could eat in the fondue bar or the beach bar where you could get a burgers or hot dogs or ice cream. The pool is nice and the beach is nice the beach has white sand and lovely warm blue sea. We did three trips I swim were dolphin that was great. we also went on jeep safari that was good. than we also went to havana for the day. you came also go for the night and see the tropicana show. the old car are great and some are in good condition. All in all it was a great holiday and we would recommend this hotel

• Liked — the hotel and the beach and pool
3 Thank puffin2
London UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2008

Had a great time at Sol Palmeras. Decided to change hotels a month before the trip after seeing that everyone who wrote a review on this hotel loved it. I'm glad I changed it because the beach at this hotel is beautiful. The food is nice, the staff are great and the entertainment is good. We went on 2 excursions, one on the catamaran where we saw the dolphins, snorkling and visited Cayo island which is beautiful the other trip was to Mantaza where we went to the caves, the biggest ones in Cuba.
We played tennis and hired bikes a few times which was great. We went plenty of times to the a la carte restaurants as well. I would come back to this hotel again and I had met many who have also been coming year after year.

5 Thank Christina36
england
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2008

My wife and I have just returned from this lovely hotel. Like some previous comments we were not quite sure what to expect.

We had no problems whatsoever. Room fine , staff great, food fine. If you do not like anything than just go and get something else from the buffet restaurant which has oodles of different food to choose from. The buffet restaurant is very well laid out with nicely dressed tables, water/wine freely available.

You can relax or busy yourself its your choice. Wonderful beach
take a bread roll in with you and feed the fish.

The grounds are also amazing and well kept, worth a slow walk around.

Great global mix of people, would we return? Yes tommorrow

• Liked — everything
  • Disliked — nothing
4 Thank mrmundo