“Beautiful beach friendly people absolutely amazing trip !!!”
Review of Sol Palmeras

Sol Palmeras
Ranked #8 of 64 Hotels in Varadero
Reviewed August 26, 2013 via mobile

My son and I stayed in a bungalow in May a 2 min walk to the beach it was absolutely beautiful clear blue water white sand and beautiful weather the food was great the people and staff were super friendly I just loved my vacation so much I never wanted to leave I met a night time security guard at sol palmeras Carlos yassel very helpful when I lost my way back to my bungalow he walked with me until I made it back safely :) I will be back to sol palmeras I can't wait loved everything about my vacation

• Stayed: May 2013
alc52, Director General at Sol Palmeras, responded to this reviewResponded September 14, 2013

Dear guest,

We appreciate that you have shared, on the Trip Advisor, your opinions about your stay at Sol Palmeras Hotel.

We are glad to know, when we read full of satisfaction, on the Trip Advisor, that you had marvellous holidays with your son in our hotel.

Thank you for all your complimentary comments about our hotel, especially the opinion about our staff, Yassel in particular, whom we will congratulate, personally, on your behalf.

Wishing you visit us soon. Receive best regards.

Tomeu Alcina

Write a ReviewReviews (6,433)

Reviewed August 26, 2013

Stayed in Cuba as from 8th August for 14 nights. The positives are that both the areas of Varadero and Havana are beautiful. The tours we booked; swimming with the dolphins, jeep safari and overnight trip to Havana with the tropicana show were worth the money. Staff in the buffet especially Fernando were excellent, and the magician and clown entertained the children although it is a shame the evening 8.30 show was poorly attended and his may be due to the poor publicity as we only found out about them in the 2nd week. The beach is fantastic and we engaged in the water activities. Note that we did have our towels stolen and were informed that this happened frequently. Negatives; room was basic, food below average and one of the pools poorly cleaned. My daughter and friend were ill for a few days and we believe it was the pool as a number of other people were ill and the common link was that they had all spent considerable time in the pool we did raise a concern about this wi the rep'. Customer service then contacted me and noted my concern and offered me juice for my daughter, cleaning the pool would have been the better option! Interestingly when a VIP stayed in the last few days of our stay more effort seemed to be made to clean the pool in the mornings. We had a massage at the hotel, be warned this is torture rather than relaxation! We booked this hotel particularly as it had a kids club, and were disappointed when we found out it only runs 10.30-12pm and 3-5pm. My daughter loved the staff, although if there were more structured activities every day then more children would have attended. The evening entertainment started at 9.45 in the evening and really is nothing to stay up for. We attended the 70's show and found that the first 30-45 minutes were taken up with a fashion show which is held regularly in the afternoon. By then many children were tired and I'm not sure how much thought went into structuring the shows considering that this is a family resort.
We plan to return to Cuba again, however we would not stay nor recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

Dear guest,

We appreciate that you have published, on the Trip Advisor, your opinions about your stay at Sol Palmeras Hotel. Opinions that, unfortunately are not positive, which show us you did not enjoy your holidays. We honestly apologize for not having fulfilled your expectations during your stay in our hotel.

Regarding the swimming-pool, we kindly like to inform you, that the staff there is always the same, they have a systematic work for years, and they give the same treatment to all our guests, because for us all our hotel guests are VIP.

Thank you for all your comments, because they give us the opportunity to know where we do not do things well. Your review have been analyzed with all the area managers, and we have taken the necessary corrective actions to avoid comments similar as yours from other of our guests.

One more time we would like to apologize, for not achieving fulfillment in doing all the possible so that you would have enjoyed your holidays here. We really regret you have not a good opinion about our hotel.

I kindly ask you to, please reconsider your opinion, and give us a new opportunity to be your hosts again , so we can prove that your review had a positive impact on us, and we are capable to achieve our task.

Reviewed August 22, 2013

Our first experience of all inclusive! Hmmmm, the rooms were clean but basic, although we could see this when we booked and looked at the photos - and we always consult Trip Advisor beforehand. I was disappointed when we first arrived, the lift broke down so we had to step up onto floor 3 but the concierge sorted out our suitcases and the air conditioning in our room didn't work so we were very hot that first night. However, we mentioned the air conditioning the following day and an engineer came to the room within a couple of hours. It could not be repaired and so we were given another room with an apology from them for us having to change rooms.
From here the holiday improved - or we settled! The staff were second to none and couldn't do enough for you, with or without a tip. From the lady in the ice-cream chalet to the guy on the beach getting you a sun bed to the lobby bar staff to the room cleaners and ladies working in the laundry. Nothing was too much trouble but neither my husband nor I felt that they were just being lovely for a tip. I wish I could remember more names Francie in the bar was fantastic and worked so hard yet she always had a welcome and a smile. Hello!
The buffet restaurant was a bit like a holiday camp free-for-all. The food wasn't as I would have hoped, but we were in Cuba. The Chinese restaurant was excellent with the Mexican, Italian and steakhouse coming a close second.
In summary, I would certainly go back to Cuba and I would not refuse to go back to this hotel but next time I would rather stay closer to Havanna.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank KathSue

Dear guest,

Thank you for publishing, on the Trip Advisor, your opinions about your stay at Sol Palmeras Hotel.

We appreciate it very much, that you have chosen Sol Palmeras for your first experience in an All Inclusive hotel.

We apologize for the elevator malfunction, and the air conditioning in your room, and that everything came to normality afterwards.

Thank you for all your comments, especially the good opinion you have about our staff. We appreciate it.

We will congratulate the persons you mentioned, on your behalf, but your review will also be shared with all our employees.

Regarding your remark about food, mainly at our buffet restaurant, we inform you we took note of it, and we will work towards the improvements on both aspects you mentioned.

Hoping, and wishing that you will let us be your hosts again, in case you decide to come to Varadero again.

Reviewed August 17, 2013 via mobile

We moved to Sol Palmares after a bad experience at Blau Marina Varadero and it was the best decision we made. The place is clean, food is good and service is excellent; especially that of Frank who works at the bar. The entertainment is better than that we experienced at our previous hotel and the atmosphere in general really made our holiday. If I get the chance to ever go back to Cuba, I would return.

• Stayed: July 2013
4  Thank PoppyRussell2603

Dear guest,

We appreciate that you have published, and shared, on the Trip Advisor, your opinions about your stay at Sol Palmeras Hotel.

We are glad to know, you consider your decision to change to our hotel was a clever choice.

Thank you very much for all your complimentary comments published on your review. They are very helpful for us, because they constitute the best reward we can receive, and they prove we have done well our job according to our guests's satisfaction.

We will congratulate Frank on your behalf.

Hoping you have another chance to come to Cuba, receive best regards.

Reviewed August 15, 2013

This was our first trip to Cuba, we traveled as a family of four and absolutely loved the place. The food wasn't the best and each of the restaurants seemed to serve similar things, but there was always something that we liked. We weren't fond of the buffet as it was always really busy at lunch and dinner time, but the Italian and the Chinese were lovely. There is a little beach bar on the beach, very close to the sunbeds, where we got chips and toasties everyday. I would recommend avoiding the tap water and the ice cubes as we all got upset stomachs, however if you pack the Imodium tablets you will be okay!
At first we were given a room with a VERY bad view, all we could see was the roof. I went straight to reception where they were more than happy to offer us two more rooms with a much better view. It seems as if they give the rooms with the bad view to the English, so don't be afraid to complain! We also had trouble with the air conditioning - it is not the most powerful air con- but they came and fixed it straight away and even offered us another upgrade on the room.
The pool did have a few flies in it, but the beach is beautiful. The entertainment team are on the beach as well as the pool which is fantastic. They have an awesome foam party! You can also borrow the basketballs/volleyballs and take them onto the beach which is good fun.
The nightclub on resort was great for our two girls, they stayed out later than us most nights!
The hotel is a little bit run down, but you are in Cuba!! The atmosphere in the place is very relaxing and welcoming, and there is always plenty to do! Also, the staff are lovely people!!!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank LLminaj15
alc52, Director General at Sol Palmeras, responded to this reviewResponded August 19, 2013

Dear guest,

Thank you very much for choosing Sol Palmeras to stay on your first trip to Cuba. We appreciate it.

We regret that, a good room was not assigned to you since you arrived. But I would like to inform you that the rooms that do not have ocean or pool view do not depend on the guest's nationality.

We are glad to know that you enjoyed your holidays among us in our hotel.

Thank you for all your complimentary comments about our hotel, especially your opinion about our staff.

Hoping you choose Sol Palmeras again for your holidays, in case you decide to return to Cuba. Receive best regards.

Sincerelly,

Reviewed August 11, 2013

The brochure sold us a dream and in reality we got a run down hotel which had seen better days.
The room was damp , the furniture well used , and the balcony crawling with red ants. We had no view to speak of only the tops of palm trees as we were over the ground floors of the building which jutted out below us . The food was basic,cold and repetitive on my first night there Pigs Trotters were one of the delicacies on offer . The specialist eating places were not nice the food was tasteless and unseasoned except for the Chinese which was good but in demand. We went through 2 packets of immodium due to bad food or lack of hygeine and couldnt bring ourselves to eat in the main place on our second week in fact we were loath to eat there at all. The pool area although kept clean was not enhanced by the pool which at times looked dirty with things floating by as you swam . Thank god for the beach which was clean and service there was good the bar staff were keen to serve and friendly . Service at the main bar was good however it depended which bar staff you got some could be rude and completely ignore you especially if Spanish customers were in cue. It appeared they were given preferential treatment. To cut this short and to the point find yourself a nicer place to stay and avoid the disappointment we felt.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
7  Thank bingoroach
alc52, Director General at Sol Palmeras, responded to this reviewResponded August 22, 2013

Dear guest,

We appreciate that you have published and shared, on the Trip Advisor, your opinions about your stay at Sol Palmeras Hotel. Opinions that, as we read, on your review, are not positive ones, therefore I assume we did not fulfill your expectations during your stay in our hotel. We honestly apologise for this.

We would like to inform you, that we took note of all your remarks, and we will take the corresponding corrective actions, in order to avoid other guests will have the same inconveniences.

Thank you for all your complimentary comments about our beach and service. We appreciate it.

On the other hand, I would like to inform you that we do not have any preferences for any nationality of our guests. English-speaking guests express on many of their comments, that Spanish-speaking persons receive better service than English-speaking persons, and vice versa.

I honestly consider that, not only at Sol Palmeras we do not have any preference for a certain nationality, as well as in other hotels. All guests are welcomed.

Reviewed August 8, 2013

I had returned to this hotel after many years with my husband and my husband's sister, husband and son. , Because I had a great experience years ago, I thought I would return. Well to my surprise, the people at the front desk, bars and towel hut were all very rude. The rooms we had were horrible with paint falling from the ceiling. The food was horrible. There were a few waiters/waitress that were friendly, but besides those few the others were rude and very unfriendly. I would never return to this hotel, even if they paid me too. The room where they held the entertainment was very hot and stuffy. The air conditioner was broken, in fact my new phew fainted because of the heat in that room. It was finally repaired after six days after the incident,

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Anna M
alc52, Director General at Sol Palmeras, responded to this reviewResponded August 24, 2013

Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing, on the Trip Advisor, your review with the opinions you have of your stay at Sol Palmeras Hotel.

We regret that you did not have this time, the good experience you had, on your previous stay in our hotel, some years ago.

Your remarks will be thoroughly analyzed with the responsible persons, and the corresponding actions will be taken, in order to avoid other guests have the same inconveniences you had during your stay.

Sol Palmeras is a somewhat old hotel, but we offer a service of excellence and very attentive with our guests; that is the main reason Sol Palmeras is one of the hotels with a high occupancy all over the year. Service and attentiveness which we did not achieve with you.

We kindly ask you to give us a new opportunity to be your hosts again, and continue trusting on us.

At your entire disposal, receive best regards.