2,187 results
All reviewspizzaquiet resortbeach barfriesmojito barmagic showitalian restaurantporksmaller resortlots of hot watergreat beachcleaned dailya la carte restaurantsresort staffpeanut butterrelaxing vacationwater ballet
Reviewed January 31, 2013

This review will be helpful for those travelling in April as we went there last April in 2012.
We are a young couple, have been to Cuba 2 times, this was 3rd. We chose this hotel because they had a nice deal for 5 days. Too bad we couldn't stay for longer than that due to tight work schedules at the time.
- I will start of with the flight. We went with Sunwing, which was great. The champagne, hot meal and wine made the flight more enjoyable, the 3 hours went pretty fast.
- Accommodation: We got there around 10 pm, and they didn't have any rooms left, we got a room close to the reception and our windows were facing a small road with a tractor that kept going back and forth. We closed all windows, slept well. But we couldn't use the balcony because it faced the road. This room was renovated and had a new air conditioner which was pretty good, it also had new shades. Overall, nice and spacious. The next day we exchanged it for a room closer to the beach. It was located on the second floor in one of those units in the center. It was nice, but the air conditioner was old. We just kept our windows open and the fresh air from the sea kept the room naturally cool and breezy. They had a shortage of towels in rooms at one point, but that wasn't a biggie.
- Money Exchange: they have a very convenient money exchange kiosk located on site, just bring you passport. Some hotels have money exchange at reception, I don't remember if this hotel had that.
- Beach: The beach was great, and the water is perfect in April. It is not too cold or too hot. We went a fun snorkeling trip where we fed bread to fish and took the paddle boats just for the exercise. Make sure to reserve your place in the morning, because there is never enough beach chairs. We really disliked this because we never faced this problem in other Cuban resorts.
- Pools: we went for the ocean, never used the pools but they seemed just fine to me.
- Service: was great! we just love the people there, the bartenders were very nice and the ladies in the buffet read our mind. We were very nice to them and they provided 5 star service to us before we even tipped. They liked us because we didn't complain, didn't load plates of food that we wouldn't eat (LIKE SO MANY PEOPLE DO) and overall were respectful.
- Food: This is the part that all people seem to complain about. We liked the buffet and Italian. Japanese was different from what we are used to in Toronto, but fun for a change. The main buffet attempted different themes every night, such as Mexican with tacos and guacamole. We loved the meats, shrimps and fish. We are not into junk food so a fresh omelette with yogurt for breakfast, fish, salad and soup for lunch and salads + meat, fish, shrimp for dinner were great and healthy choices! There were all these great tasting condiments and dressings, I guess we are not into ketchup and peanut butter. No idea what people complain about. I was shocked when people hoarded chips in the airport on the way back... really? chips?
- Drinks: The mojitos were high in sugar but delicious. The beer was of 3 varieties in the lobby bar, fresh from the cans. The crystal beer was served at the beach and pool bars. The white wine was not bad, I think they import the wine from Spain. Try that mint liqueur in a shot glass with ice, very refreshing.
In conclusion: I could probably hoard problems and negatives in this review, but i didn't notice any. We are young, we went to spend time together and warm up after the cold winter. It was a wonderful vacation. Would I return to this resort? No, because we live once and we want to go to different places.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Marg_Kova
Reviewed January 28, 2013

My first impression of this hotel was good. But that all changed when I spoke to the front desk, not only that she was not friendly , I could say she was rude. We checked in pretty late like 5:00am on Jan 6, 2013, because our flight arrived at that time. I understand that she could be tired but there is no way of giving attitude. It is still part of the job. I had nothing to complain about the room, it was decent as I did not have much expectation so I was not disappointed. Now move on to pool bar service, i received the worst service ever, with the exception of one lady bartender. The old guy who serve around 1-4 pm on wednesday, thursday, and friday is just plain rude. I would have to wait like 20 minutes for a drink and it wasn't busy. This guy just serve people that he likes and ignore others that he doesn't. I heard that cuban people are friendly, but this is just not true with this bartender. On the day that we checked out, i was trying to exchange money and again, this front desk lady gave me an attitude and saying she is busy. She told me to come back in 20 minutes. I think she was about to go home and didn't want to do extra work. It was Jan 13 at 10:50pm. Now the bell boy just straight up lied to my face. he told me that he has to go home before 11 and told me to pick up the luggages before that time. True enough, he was hanging out at the hotel until 1:00am, which was the time that our bus picked us up, who know what time he stayed until.. So, what up with all this? I had great expectation before I went to cuba, heard all the good things especially people, but the staffs at this hotel is just bad.
There are a couple of good things which are the buffet servers, they are nice and friendly and I pretty much hang out there as the pool bar is so bad. I am sure I would have enjoyed cuba more, had I stayed at a different hotel. So I warn all those looking for friendly service to avoid this hotel. It is not worth. Good luck to those already booked at this hotel. May be you will have a better luck than I do.

2  Thank Amy T
Reviewed January 20, 2013

We were there from January 11th to the 18th. We arrived at the hotel at lunch time, the women at reception weren't in a good mood that day. Our room wasn't ready, we left our luggage with the concierge we gave him a tip and he did everything he could so we would have our room faster which we did. We have learn that you get thing faster with tips. The buffet offer a bit of everything but it is Cuba, it isn't a carbs free diet week! The Italian restaurant is really much better. It is a quiet hotel, I liked no waiting time at the bar and the buffet, not like big hotels where there is a long wait to get what you want. As for the staff they are all amazing, very good customer service. The beds are confortable and the rooms are very clean. I would go back anytime it is a good hotel to stay in Varadero.

Room Tip: Ask for a room far from the pool if you want to be quiet at night.
6  Thank Emma S
Reviewed January 16, 2013

First one must remember this is Cuba. I love it in Cuba but am aware it has some quirks. The hotel was clean. This is number one for me. The reception at 4 am was sorely lacking but they work long shifts and she was sleeping. The rooms were good, beds decent, nice to have CNN to watch. The bathroom was clean and we never ran out of hot water. The pool is fabulous, as is the beach. The music around the pool was not absurdly loud as in some hotels. The food... again, this is Cuba. My daughter was quite happy with the food and the deserts in particular. It is a tough place for me, as I am a vegetarian, but this is was no surprise. The omlets were hot and delicious and the pasta was good. I like that they move the food tables around to make it appear things have changed and they have nice entertainment during dinner. The staff is outstanding!!! The Italian was very nice with the grande piano playing. The Mexican was just ok. Seafood night was a huge hit with my daughter!! The shows were poor at best and the gym is dirty. No surprise there. I very much enjoyed my stay there but I think I will go back to 3 and 2 stars as the difference in the hotel was not so vast.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank YvonneLynnK
Reviewed January 16, 2013

While writing this review we remember the good weather and the fine moments that we had during our holiday in Cuba. We arrived on the first of January, and stayed for one week. (photo 1& 2) The room (photo 3 a & b) was as requested, in a quiet corner, basic and big enough for the two of us.The bed was not uncomfortable,air-conditioning was working,however noisy. Tv (CNN) & fridge worked also. The bathroom was just ok, not to small and always enough hot water but the window needed maintainance.Towels were replaced every day. The "Mojito-bar" (photo 4) serves a variety of coctails, the mojito itself was only one day obtainable during our stay because mint-leaves were not every day available.Herbs & spices seemed hard to find on the lokal market. The picture of the pool (photo 5) speaks for itself; very inviting. The pool-bar (photo 6) has an outdoor(open) & indoor(shaded) area. A beach-bar is also present on the hotelgrounds. The buffet-restaurant served breakfast ; a real good choice (around five different flavours) of freshly squeezed fruit-juice and sliced fruits on the side. Fresh fried eggs or omelets with or without ham,cheese, vegetables or bacon; on of these (female) cooks has such a positive attitude that se makes almost everybody smile. This place also served lunch and diner (buffet).To us the choice seemed reasonable: soup(s), vegetables, several up-front-made dishes with or without meat. Almost everyday we had a choice of fresh fried fish and very tastfull big schrimps,sometimes varied with pork sliced on the spot. On the side we found (sweet)potatoes, rice, etc.The only thing we missed were a pinch of spices and herbes,but as mentioned before we believe these items are difficult to obtain on the market.It was possible to eat a-la-carte for dinner in two resto's; Italian or Creol food (photo 7),but reservation is required and only possible at 9.00 in the morning at the poolbar. Anyhow we did enjoy our holiday in Cuba,also because the travel agency told us what to expect.

6  Thank Kretenzer