“Very Good Value for your $$$” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Be Live Experience Turquesa

Be Live Experience Turquesa
Ranked #23 of 63 Hotels in Varadero
Iroquois Falls
“Very Good Value for your $$$”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2012

In spite of our experience our first night ( we tipped the front desk substantially for an 'ocean view room' which we were promised and never got....but there is NO room on this resort from which you can see the beach!) this was a wonderful hotel. I travelled here in February of 2012 with my Partner, my Sister and Brother-In-Law (all 3 were first time travellers). A great place for couples...not tooo many families or kids. The rooms (in spite of not being what we thought we were entitled too) were beautiful...typical Caribbean resort rooms, nice terraces and kept very clean. Beds were not bad and the satellite tv was nice to monitor the weather prior to our return flight. We ate at all the a la carte restaurants, the Cuban being the tastiest!!! Though both my boyfriend and I were sick the last night (after eating at the Cuban restaurant) we cant possibly blame the food....my Brother-In-Law and my Sister had the same thing and were fine!!! Always something good to be found on the buffet...some dishes repeat themselves but for the most part there is good variety from night to night. Breakfast is typical, but the lady who works the Breakfast Omlette Bar is a very sweet lady with a contagious smile...a peso a day goes a long way and really, when we are only paying 120 bucks a day at most for our holidays, we can afford to leave some additional money on the resort for tips...cigarette lighters are also another great tip for the bartenders. The staff was wonderful and willing to please (in spite of the front desk devil who called the Cuban Police on me when I started yelling at her in Spanish....I guess white guys who yell in Spanish are scary?) and really I'm not a yeller, and didn't start yelling until she referred to me to her colleague as something that I cant write on tripadvisor...this was before she realized I was fairly proficient in spanish). But yeah, the staff was amazing, willing to help....the gentleman who made my coffee at the bar by the restaurant every morning was a life saver ha ha ha. My boyfriend and I are headed back for 2 weeks in a little over 2 months and I cant wait! Looking forward to returning to 'My Cuban Cottage"

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank chillin_61

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (152)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Moscow, Russia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2012

We went there accidentally - bought a hot trip for 1000 euros for 12 days. When I read the reviews, i prepared for the worst. But in fact I really enjoyed it there - the stuff was very friendly, and they complimented my Spanish, the animation was just superb! Every night we had a fantastic show, and befare that - live music and singer. During the day the animation was almost non-existent, apart from voleyball, and water gymnastics, which i liked. We had all-inclusive and the food was unexpectedly good - all fresh and delicious, loads of fruit, and we had Spanish wine of choice and beer, all of high quality. in the bars there were all kinds of drinks, especialy rum-based))) oh, i LOVE Cuban rum!
As for the cleanliness, Cuba has a humid climat and sometimes when we came to our room the towels were wet, but it was because they couldn't dry by themselves and the towel dryer in the laundry was broken (but only a couple of times). Also, the towels come with stains, but these are the stains which can't be removed, so don't think that your towels are dirty - they are just old and wet. After we complained - everything became fine.
The sea and the beach go without saying - they are marvellous!!!
In general, I loved the place and i would go there again.

Room Tip: Try to chose a room farthest from all the fun - bars and main alley
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
7 Thank Tatiana L
Yavne, Israel
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2012

Been here on a group trip to Cuba for three nights.
Varadero really has a lot of potential with its marvelous sea and beaches, but it seems the lack of free market takes its toll.
I can't explain otherwise the total disregard for the guests when it comes to giving simple basic service (like duplicating a room key).
The rooms are fine, well air conditioned, but forget about bath towels: they only give small ones. We had to resort to the pool towels which were of a decent size. Obviously they did not change any towels during our stay (and not because of their concern for a green planet).
The beach is fabulous but that's nature's present. On the resort's side they make sure the bar on the beach is only open from 10 am to 5 pm. If you want a beer after that, you have to go back to the hotel itself.
The buffet in the dining hall was quite limited in choice. Worst of all, the air conditioning did not work (even though it was installed) and it was quite impossible eating inside the dining room with the heat and humidity.
They have three restaurants as well on the premises. The only problem is you can not book a table in advance only the same day. They open the register (officially) at 9 am but on both days when we walked up to the reception at 9 there were no free tables any more. It is a mystery how do they book all tables in a matter of less than a minute! Perhaps a proper tip could have helped???
In the evenings they had some nice shows (one night a water ballet, the other nught a variety show) and it was in the open air which was a blessing.
All in all quite a disappointing experience. What a shame!
With so many other hoteis around, find another one!

Room Tip: Skip and find something else
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Arie F

Travelers are raving about these Varadero hotels

Nakusp, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2012

My wife and I stayed here from May 25 - June 8. I have to say we had some worries about all the negative reviews the hotel has had. We found that the staff of the bars and the restaurants to be very nice and accommodating (Mario at the lobby bar, Alberto in the buffet were great to us, and our new friend Danya who gave us a pet crab one night). Our room was quite good #336 although the a/c was a little loud at night. The food we found to be somewhat repetitive but we always found something that we liked. The only negatives to us were that some of the boards on the bridge are loose and could be replaced, the mosquitoes were quite bad but it is the time of the year so there is not much to be done about that, some minor cosmetics on the buildings and the rooms, and some of the sports equipment ie. only one tennis ball (the backup was bald and square). Overall we had a great time at this resort and we would return no problem.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank bryan h
Montreal, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2012

Varadero, a very nice destination where nice weather and wonderful beaches can be found! I’ve always enjoyed the culture and ambiance of Cuba and will always remember my trips over there! I went in September: prices are at their lowest but the weather is unpredictable (I was fortunate to have a blue sky for 7 days!)

Unfortunately, my experience at BeLiveTurquesa was not a pleasant one…

First: this is not a 4 star hotel. It may possess all the amenities of that rating: daily room cleaning, 24 hour reception/bar/food, gym, internet, room service, air conditioning…etc, but it lacks so many important details.

Staff, not necessarily friendly: they can be cold and without a smile (reception and restaurants). I often felt like I was disturbing them: service was slow, even if a generous tip was involved!

However, I did enjoy my daily coffee at one of the bars (barman was nice and devoted).

Animation, acceptable: Cubans entertainers/dancers are very talented…but I’m not a fan of those shows…I do like the gathering effect it provides: a place where many can meet and socialize.

Rooms: are old but clean (…clean? Well, at first glance yes, start looking, at you’ll see everything needs a deep scrub) Acceptable, since, in my opinion, rooms are just meant to go to bed and shower. I’m no heavy traveler in all inclusive hotels, but can conclude this is NOT a 4 Star kind of room!

Food…now this is mainly the reason why I rate this hotel poorly: the food was not good! I mean everything was not edible. Maybe I was unlucky the week I spent there, but seriously, at one point, felt like this was a joke! Breakfast, Lunch, Supper, every meal was a big deception: food was not fresh (they would simply mix up the left-over’s of the day before with new stuff) and there was not much variety. I actually lost weight after this vacation! When in Cuba, I indulge on fruits…but during that week; there was only cantaloupe, cantaloupe, and cantaloupe…sometimes pineapple or banana’s… all not fresh or ripe.

To summarize: Be live Turquesa is not a 4 star Hotel. It may, to Cuba’s standard, be at that level, but I believe it’s a lot closer to a 3 star. Service and rooms are acceptable and the quality of food is poor. However, I went to Cuba mainly for the culture, the cigars, the beach and the nice weather: I got all four, all week! So, instead of hanging on to all the negative stuff, I tried to enjoy the good sides of my trip. In all, “You get what you pay for”!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
5 Thank Mathieu E
Gatineau, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2012

We were there the week of May 26th to June 2nd, 2012.
This was my first time in Cuba and I really enjoyed my stay. We had a nice clean room on the second level close to the ocean, lots of hot water and a nice balcony. The only negative thing I can say about the room was that there was no screen on the patio door, I heard it's common in Cuba.
The best thing about our stay at this resort was the very nice friendly staff, specially at the entrance bar called the Mojito Bar. It was also very quiet and had a great beach. The food was ok but it could be improved.
All in all it was a great vacation and I will go back to explore another region of Cuba for sure.

Room Tip: Get a second level room.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank R S
Innisfil
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2012

Overall I still had a relaxing time at Turquesa, mainly because of the beautiful beach and friendly people. The management of the hotel is clearly trying to do without spending much. There was no entertainment for the tourists except dance shows in the evening - after they were done at 10:30 pm, u had a choice of either sleeping, getting wasted by yourself or going to Varadero, which means spending more money on bars and clubs. All inclusive should be ALL inclusive in my opinion and the 4 stars they have going on doesn't do them justice at all. I'm no big food critic, but when hygiene is an issue - you know it's bad. I got sick twice shortly after eating and no I don't drink much alcohol at all. One more thing that really got to me is that....I'm a generous person because I grew up poor and I know that every little bit counts. However I honestly think that Cuban people got too spoiled from tourists always giving them stuff that they're really crossing the line with the begging and crying, while they're wearing real gold bracelet and diamond earrings! I had the same person come up to me and ask for more things after I gave them a couple things the day prior! I understand we have a better living in Canada, but we're not hatching golden eggs here - we work hard for what we have! I think it's disrespectful to be taking advantage of tourists without shame, the very people who keep Cuba's economy running! Anyways...up to you if you want to go there or not, but I am definitely staying away from now on! Hope this was helpful

Room Tip: All the rooms are the same
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
10 Thank 101dum
Also consider these accommodations in or near Varadero
Sol Hotel
Colombus Hotel
Colombus Hotel
#7 of 8 in Oyster Pond
Barcelo Solymar Arenas Blancas Resort

Been to Be Live Experience Turquesa? Share your experiences!