“a little piece of paradise” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Be Live Experience Turquesa

Be Live Experience Turquesa
Ranked #22 of 63 Hotels in Varadero
Hamilton, Canada
“a little piece of paradise”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2011

this was our second time going to this resort. the first time it was oasis turquesa. much of the staff were the same there, just as friendly as the first time.
one of the wait staff, working the out door bar, even remembered us from 2 years previously.
not much had changed with this resort except for the construction of a new building near the path to the beach. looks like a restaurant or dance bar being built.
food was different every single day. much variety to choose from too.
wait staff was constantly asking if we needed anything.

room was cleaned every day by noon. never had no worries with leaving our belongings out, except for the expensive items of course. the maid was very creative using our belongings in making the wonderful decorations on the bed.
if you wanted a bottle of water you only needed to ask her.
the grounds people are an exceptionable crew. forever working on the grounds. cutting weeds, on their hands and knees, with a knife.
always had a friendly smile and a flower for the ladies.
the bar staff were amazing. never felt the need to wave money around to get served. which makes you want to tip them then. such great service.
one thing i do need to mention was what we encountered at the bar. being a proud Canadian i was very disappointed with a select few Canadians there that week. the bar staff asked me how much this bill was worth? he got from a Canadian girl. he handed me a Canadian tire 5 cent.
i ripped it up in-front of him and gave him a $5 bill in return. apologizing for the ignorance of some people doing that. i explained to him what it was but he still had a smile on his face saying that was ok. please people, have respect!

never a problem finding a lounger, all were in functioning order and plenty of them to go around.
pool was absolutely amazing. so warm.

the entertainment wasn't anything to write home about but at least there was some sort of entertainment seeing they don't have a disco/dance bar there.

we had to book out by noon but our flight wasn't until 10pm. they offered us to stay in the room until 7pm, free of charge, because we were returning guests.
we have and always will recommend this resort to anyone.
the only downfall to this vacation was the airline crew. never met a bunch of ignorant, rude bunch of people in my life. but wasn't going to let that ruin our vacation. i guess they were not evening people on that flight that night.

Room Tip: ask for one of the upper rooms closer to the beach,
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
11 Thank juleyca

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (152)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Cheticamp, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2011

My husband and I stayed there in January of 2011 and the place is laid out very different than other Hotels in Cuba. Very well laid out and everything is easy to find. We LOVED the food! My husband is a picky eater. Some of the best food in Cuba. We made friends will all the staff and were treated quite well. They even "found" Tequila for me. :) Malaika is a great hotel manager. Our safe would not open on the day of departure but she made sure someone was there with a key before we left for the airport (granted I had to start the process 2 hours before we left because NOTHING happens fast in Cuba!) Once you understand a few things about Cuba, you will appreciate the fabulous hospitality at the Turquesa!

Room Tip: ask for a room with a view of the pool.
  • Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Michele P
Ajax, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2011

September 8-16 2011
I recently came back from the hotel Turquesa , Varadero. The hotel is set on a Cocanut tree plantation. The rooms are comfortable and clean. The food is OK but hey this is Cuba. From my experiences with other hotels in Cuba the food was reasonable, a lot of variety. the staff was quite friendly except for a woman that works in the bar by the pool at nights.She made it clear she did not enjoy her job, very curt. Overall most of the staff were pleasant.
The beach was fantastic. The weather 35-38 C sunny all week. a recommendation, please air condition the dinning room. good local small band at meals. The restaurant playa has the better of the atmosphere.

Lio

Room Tip: Rooms near to the pool, ground floor. It's close to everything, one feels quite safe on the prop...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
10 Thank Lionel C
Boston, Massachusetts
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2011

The beaches in Varadero are utterly fantastic and make up for the "average-ness" of the hotel.
Upon arrival, our room was INFESTED with ants - I mean, crawling over EVERYTHING - towels, table tops, luggage... It was disgusting. There were lizards everywhere too (apparently, this is somewhat common in Cuba, but there were tons in this room). The shower was broken - we complained & the response was "I'll send a technician." All they did was use a wrench or something to make it work and the second we pushed the shower button back down, the shower turned off....
During the middle of the night, the A/C broke, leaving us sweating in 40 degree temperatures. As I turned over in discomfort, I noticed that my bed/pillows REEKED like mildew. When we complained in the morning, we were again told, "I'll send a clinician." Their response was to show us the fuse box in the hallway of the villa we were staying, sequestered in a closet with no handle, and to tell us that, when the a/c turned off at 4am the next night, to exit our suite, go into the hallway, pry the closet doors apart & flip the fuse.
We complained to our WestJet rep who QUICKLY got us a new room that was 100x better! Just goes to show you that there is a LOT better available in Cuba than you might think. New room was decent enough - probably *almost* as nice as a Motel 6 in the States.
Food was decent. Options at every meal for gluten-free. I recommend the restauant "El Rancho."
Several male staff repeatedly winked at me - at first it was cute, but when it became every time we had dealings with them, it became too much.

Had a fun night out (Thursdays & Sundays) at Cabaret at the International Hotel - 10 peso cover, long lineup by 11pm.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Me00

Travelers are raving about these Varadero hotels

Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2011

What can anyone say about the beach here? It's ranked #2 in the world. It was phenomenal! The water is gorgeous and the sand is clean. The beach is long and wide so there is plenty of walking if you want. The hotel is pretty much right next to the beach so you don't have to go far. It's easy to get chairs and we had no problem getting shade (there are guys that will help you and clean sand off of any chairs).

There are many activities you could do like snorkelling, peddle boating and kayaking. The water was crystal clear, shallow, and warm.

The hotel property was nice with lots of palm trees and a huge pool and everything was close by. The bars were easy to get drinks but there was a very limited selection and they ran out of stuff often. Surprisingly, the bar staff were not very friendly. However, the entertainment was phenomenal! The shows every night were quite spectacular especially since this place is so cheap! I will hand it to the Cubans, they know how to have fun. It was like a whole evening of entertainment every night! The entertainment director was awesome all day and night! We were shocked how awesome the nightly entertainment was. 5 out of 5. There were dancers, magicians, a play, and the venue is awesome. You can sit at a table and have drinks while you watch!

The rooms are all villas I believe. They smell musty when you first arrive but after running the AC, it was fine. They didn't seem dirty nor did they have any vermin or bugs from what I could tell. And as I said, everything is close by.

Get your money converted at the on-site bank (called the Cadeca) and not at the front desk or in town. You will need your passport. You need $25 CUC (covertible pesos which is like 1:1 with Canadian). There are many excursions to choose from. We went on two. The one with the snorkelling and visit to the cave is terrible. What a waste of money. The beach had glass on it and the water is nasty. The cave was kind of gross. However, the catamaran/dolphin/snorkelling adventure was the highlight of the trip. It's $101 but it is WELL worth the money. Please do it!!! They whisk you out to a dolphinarium in the middle of their habitat in the ocean all the while providing free drinks and playing island music. Swimming with the dolphins was cool and I payed $10 (total) to get a ride with the dolphin. Very cool. After that we went to a reef for some snorkelling. It was very cool but a little crowded. Next they set off for a private beach with white sand and an amazing shore lunch! I had lobster! You get to chill there for a few hours and then head back. On the way back we ran into some wild dolphins. It was exciting until some dumb drunk Canadian girl (no I don't know her) screamed for some weird reason and scared the dolphins away. I am not making that up!

As with most Cuban resorts I bet, there is no pressure from staff and you feel like you are on a nice sunny vacation! The food isn't the greatest as anyone going to Cuba should expect, but this seemed lower quality or selection than the other resort I've been to (see my other reviews). Still, it didn't deter me, but my picky eater girlfriend seemed less than impressed most days.

Room Tip: Spend the money on the catamaran excursion! I'm frugal but I have no regrets about spending my money on that trip!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
12 Thank Chillaxor13
Brampton, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2011

I actually came to this resort in February 2010, but the drop down menu didn't allow me to select that date. Oh well - better late than never! I'm sure the place is still about the same as when I went.

My experience here was a good one. It's a very small resort but for me, a lady traveling alone, it was perfect. One AMAZING beach (beautiful and long and wide and white - much like Wasaga, only with turquoise waters), and there was always an available umbrella to plant myself under. One buffet restaurant. One BBQ bar. One pool. A few a la cartes, all in one spot. One Mojito Bar that my room was across from (I'm not much of a drinker but I had about 4 of these a day, hiccup!). Made everything super-easy to find and no long walks all over. My room was clean. Of course, not up to our Canadian standards of niceties but it's not like we go there to spend time in our rooms other than to lock up our stuff and sleep.

The food is of course, not the greatest but I will trade a gorgeous beach over good food any day. I can get good food at home whenever I want but I can't get a fabulous beach in the winter. You can't complain though about the food. The Cuban staff do the darned best they can with what they have and they are friendly and proud, so I appreciated their efforts to make it at least look good. Thankfully, someone there could bake like the wind, so I dined a lot on those amazing sweet, silky, floury dinner rolls. I was the Carb Queen but I didn't care. Beware the marauding grackels if you dine outside. Don't abandon your food and expect to come back to it intact! They are smart and fast and clever and know what they're doing.

I took a day trip to Havana (the Colonial Havana tour) and while I am not a bus tour kind of gal, it was really fantastic and interesting. My coworkers told me I should not miss Havana if I could and they were right. It is beautiful and decrepit and eerie in a way and you get some good historical hits. Buy some rolls of roasted paper peanuts from the sellers when you get off the bus in the city centre - they are goooooood.

As I mentioned, I was a single lady traveling alone. I was not harassed and being a small resort, it was very comfortable for me. Now, I'm not a party-'til-you-puke animal and often hit the hay early but if that's your speed, it's a really great little resort.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled solo
13 Thank 911ImOnFire
Montreal, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2011

My family and I stayed in this hotel the last week of June and we had a good time despite a few issues with the hotel and food.

The hotel rooms are separated in little bungalows which can be fun since you are basically left alone to come and go in your rooms without having to go thru an elevator etc. The rooms were clean once we got there and there was no really big deal in 2 of the rooms that we had except for one...mine. The patio door would not close and so we had to get a repair men to come and fix it twice, the toilet did not flush so the same guy showed up once and by the end of the week our main door would not open, there was a problem with the lock but since they took so long to show up my boyfriend and I didn't bother calling the repair man. By calling I actually mean ...getting someone to call him at the fron desk since none of the 3 rooms that my family and I had actually worked...it wasn't too bad since we were lucky to be right next to each other. A coackroach was in my room the last day as well as in my father's ( which he hept so I could see how huge it was!). Nasty but granted, we were in a very hot climate which I'm sure helps the insects procreate faster!

The food on a scale of 1 to 10 was a 4 for me. I understand that the hotel has to cater to many cultures but adding salt to the food or spices never hurt anyone. The only thing that I liked was the crepes for breakfast, some type of chicken and vegetables and the snack bar's hot dogs and hamburgers. I would not recommend having the mayo as it looks like they don't really take care of how long it is out in the sun. My parents liked the food but agreed that spices could add a bit of flavor. Now that you will not die of hunger, your daily calorie intake will be fulfill but probably will be because of bread, some fruit and hot dogs.

The beach was amazing! The best part of the trip! The sand is incredible and the water just makes you want to stay in it for hours. The bar by the beach is great but it closes at 5pm so make sure to time your drinking wisely! The pool was not very clean, we found mold on most of the pool which is not normal since the chemicals to clean the pool should avoid this. We only noticed this on the 3rd day of our stay, after this my brother ( 12) and sister (15) were no longer allowed to go in the pool...We are so careful not to drink the water from the tap but yet the pool is full of bacteria...if you swim in it you are bound to ingest a minimal amount...swim in the ocean, it's much better.

The night entertainment was fun, it keeps you entertained and gets people in the mood to party. The DJ is great and it's too bad we didn't get to see him very often!
I feel like the hotel was all about bare minimum...nothing is really done to impress you...just enough to make you happy which is too bad since the people that work there are very nice but they have no choice but to listen to the instructions of the management.
We rented a taxi to the Habana for one day and it was a great experience. The driver takes you to the most important places in the Habana. There is also a tour that you can take which is more 'structured' ...it depends what you want to pay and if you feel comfortable going to Habana without a big group.

Overall we had a good time, the beach saved the trip! I would go back to Varadero, to this hotel I don't know...maybe it would depend of the price. I will definitely try another hotel (maybe a 5 star next time) and will compare...

Prior to purchasing your ticket make sure your passport is valid for at least 6 months from the date of departure from Cuba back to your country...mine wasn't and since I had already bought my ticket I had to get an emergency passport which cost 160$!
Once you get to Cuba and are given the Visa form to fill up by the airline make sure that on the back of the form the name and address of the airline appears...mine didn't. Instead of the address my form had the instructions on how to print the Visa forms and so when I got to the Cuban Customs it caused a big problem...we were able to get someone from the airline to confirm that the Visa forms that my family and I had received were legit and gave us other ones to fill up.

Make sure to bring:
*A watch/clock, it is hard to keep track of time and you will need it to know when to go to the buffet, how long you have been under the sun etc. I did not see one clock in the resort...
* Mosquito repellent , they will eat you alive if you don't have some on.
*Reusable bottle water- you can fill it up with beer, water etc. They have very small glasses so if you want to save a few trips to the bar...
*Meds just incase of diarrhea, stomach pain,sore throat (in and out of an AC room can hurt your throat)
* Aloe Vera gel ...this will come in handy if you get a bad sunburn...trust me!
*Lots and lots of sun screen, even if your purpose to tan a lot you are better of doing it gradually than burning a lot the 1st day you get there.
* A pillow, the pillows in the room are like little pancakes...if you are used to a good big pillow bring your own...or use a cushion (available in some rooms ) or a sweater.

Hope this helps and don't hesitate to email me if you have any questions!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
15 Thank partytime13
Also consider these accommodations in or near Varadero
Sol Hotel
Colombus Hotel
Colombus Hotel
#7 of 8 in Oyster Pond
Barcelo Solymar Arenas Blancas Resort

Been to Be Live Experience Turquesa? Share your experiences!