“An update Brisas Sierra Mar”

and 1 more site!
Brisas Sierra Mar Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Guama
Toronto, Canada
“An update Brisas Sierra Mar”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2013

Update to Brisas Sierra Mar

Just returned from another great trip Feb 10 till 17, great weather and staff as usual.

Ranchon looks like it will be awhile before it is fixed, you can get something to eat a the ecological restaurant at lunch.

Beach Bar has been rebuilt and Osmar is waiting with open arms as usual. The road is still being fixed but that is on Cuban time of course, the worse stretch is between the military Hotel and Sierra Mar, no change to Chivarico, that section of the road is still very bad. The Food is good but they were without Tonic the week we were there ( this is not the first time, made due with club soda mixed with sprite and lemon and of course Gin). Osmar makes the best Rum Punch too.

My review is short as I only wanted to post pictures of the Beach, it is in good shape and we basically spend all our time on the beach.

Room Tip: We like the 5th Floor but you may hear the Disco at night.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
8 Thank crannie

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (140)
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2013

This trip was possibly the best week i've had in a very very long time. When traveling it is imperative to keep an open mind, especially in a country such a cuba. It's important to remember that it is run differently from our canadian and american ways therefor i believe its important to keep everything in perspective. The locals are always smiling, the weather is beautiful and it is extremely safe, what's not to love?

Internet access is hard to come by anywhere on the island, so be prepared to turn your phones and computers off when you arrive, you will have no need for them and you will slowly begin to feel your tightly wound springs unwind. I have never been so relaxed and at ease on vacation before.

The staff are simply wonderful, i truly believe that i have made some friends that i will keep dear to my heart for years to come. Friendly, outgoing, respectful and trust-worthy. I cannot speak more highly of these amazing people.

The room was always clean and beds were made. Sheets were sculpted into shapes and swans; you can't over think it, its just fun.

It is a quiet resort, easy to socialize but equally as easy to keep to yourself if needed.
The food was good, always plenty of fresh juices and fruits, pasta and omelette stations and always an abundance of ice cream!
The view is one of the most distinct features of Brisas Sierra Mar. Nestled in the mountains looking over the bright blue sea... there really is nothing that can come close to this. All rooms are ocean view and the sun's path makes for a stunning sunset show each night.

I had a terrific time, a much needed mental vacation from my hectic life. I Highly recommend this resort, i will definitely be returning!
Veo que hay!

Room Tip: Chose a floor closer to lobby if you have difficulty with stairs.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
6 Thank BrigitteD1234
Ontario
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2013

"Very Nice”

This Cuban hotel is a fabulous place to stay, the mountain views, beaches and gardens are incredible.

This hotel (in its day) was a grand 5 star resort with significant architectural and structural features.

This hotel is built into the mountain therefore the grade change from beach level to the most upper level is in the range of a 10 story building, most of the elevators don’t work so be prepared to use the stairs, or take the windy road to the top, anyway, I never recommend using elevators in foreign countries for maintenance reasons and the possibility of getting stuck in them.

The beach was peaceful and absent of loud music, just the sound of waves, and what my doctor ordered, plenty of natural shade and chairs.

I would have no problem returning to this relaxing & tranquil resort. I met some fantastic folks down there, most were repeat vacationers, some on extended monthly stays and others were avid bird watchers. This place may not be the best place for the Party or Cancun types.

Need to relax... this is the place to go…have a nice mud bath with a friend or spouse at the local ground water thermal wells. Also, I was informed that there is an excellent little Cuban sea food restaurant within walking distance from the main resort entrance. Also within the botanical garden area there is a (secret) little restaurant with just 4 tables.

Note: I have traveled extensively to Cuba, thus my expectations are tempered and in check. Sometimes even bringing own toilet paper : ) Cuba is always great value for the money. My only regret is not booking for a longer period of time 7 days is too short. O yes don't forget to bring ping pong balls.

The strong points: Mountain views, beaches and gardens are incredible. Also the resort area sea water is great for snorkeling i.e. not just barren sand bottoms. Don’t forget water shoes as this is a natural shore area.

The weak points: Extensive network of stairs may be difficult for some. Just take your time, or take the windy road back up. The road in from the airport is a bit... rough, it was badly damaged by the last hurricane, but don’t dwell on it, bring a plastic bag if you are prone to motion sickness or ask the driver to pull over if there are any other needs. Also at the time of my visit the beach restaurant was still out of service. Some of the local beach beggars, were a wee bit annoying at times, the hotel would be well advised to communicate with them to ensure a more positive impression. Also upon check out, there was a requirement to pay 15 pesos for the use of the room safe. Additionally, I recommend that you bring your own beach towels as it seems that these towels are frequently stolen at most Cuban resorts (not sure why) but it can cost you 15 to 25 dollars. Trust me it really hurts to pay for a towel that someone stole from you : (

On a final note the gym has no working equipment, and is function-less, however the stairs, walks and ocean swims shall prevail.

Room Tip: If you don't like lots of exercise (going up stairs) then stay in the lower room blocks. If you...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
8 Thank Canadian033
Montreal, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2013

I am used to holguin thats four hours by car from this resort it might as well been a million miles away.
the resort its self is amazing the scenery is out of this world all the staff where great exept for a couple of female bartenders thats as far as i go for good coments
this is my fourth trip to cuba in less then a year you know people say the food in cuba is not good at this resort its very very true.
for my money but i go off season is playa pesquero or plyaa costaverde in holguin cuba theay are right next to each other but pesquero i give 10 out of 10 on everything including the food go see jose at the grill tell him mitch says hi
as for brisas sierra mar the room was so tiny no mini bar in the room you had to pay two dollars a day for the key
the tv i had hadtwo english chanels cnn there was no sound the whole week the other ctv worked once in a while
we had power failures sevral times a day so you did not always have ac and if you where on the hire levals and you are handicaped or senior lots of luck the elevator has not worked for awhile.
on thursday the 7th of febuary 2012 before i left for a day trip at six am i let reception know my toilete was not working theay said someone would go up at fix it to make along story short i made three complaints and it was final fixed on saturday the 9th of feb 2013
last but not least i had no hot water my last two nights i called recption theay sAID THERE IS A PROBLEM WITH THE ELECTRICITY there was nothing theay can do about it all in all this is my worst vaction ever.
this place is perfect for seniors but thats about it if you are singel but not looking to meet somone just to relax stay AWAY maybe for families but thats it.

Room Tip: maybe the beach front rooms are better but for me first time and last time
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank mitch g

Travelers are raving about these Guama hotels

Singhampton, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2013

Spent the week from Feb 10th at Sierra Mar and loved it! Nice staff, food was good (we brought p'nut butter), room was clean, weather was perfect! When I say the food is good I really mean it! Lots of variety everyday.
There are alot of stairs but burning some calories from food and rum over the week was good for us. We were in room 230 so 3 flights (19 stairs per flight) to the buffett and main area, but only 1 flight to the beach. Great ocean and mountain views everywhere you look!
The beach is not a white sand crystal clear water kind of beach. It is dark sand, some little rocks, nice and warm and a bar about 15 steps from it. Great! 2 Kayaks, 3 paddle boats and a hobie cat. Snorkels available at the dive shop to use. Also a nice little restaurant near the beach for lunch surrounded by botanical gardens.
We took the 50 peso class with Edgar at the dive shop and learned to scuba dive! Wonderful experience! He is a terrific instructor and took very good care of us 40 feet down touring corral reefs and beautiful fish! Highly recommend to the first timers!!! Just do it!
We also rented scooters from the resort for 26 pesos for 24hrs and scooted all over the place. The roads all around are brutal but dont seem so bad on a scooter. The scooters are fairly new and in good shape. ( Had them going 75km hr on the paved parts!) We went to a Valentines party in Chivorico 12km west of the resort and had a blast. The locals are wonderful! Driving back to the resort at night on pot hole ridden roads (pigs, goats and cows too!) was a little freaky but a great adventure. We went back on Saturday night for another Fiesta in the street! Again lots of fun! Great, great people!
We found the Oceano restaurant near the end of the week and ate there for dinner the last 3 nights. The best lobster ever!!! For 12 pesos!!! The owner worked at Sierra Mar for over 20 yrs and opened the restaurant 2 seasons ago when the Cuban goverment allowed them to own their own businesses. Such a nice family! He (Adolfo) will come and pick you up and drop you off at your resort after dinner in his 54 Dodge too!
There were a couple of power outages while we were there but didnt last long. Our bed was not that comfortable ( I brought my own pillow ) Not alot of hot water but always seemed to be just warm enough.
We had a great time! Will go again!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank BrendaB333
Pickering, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2013

This was our 2nd time to Santiago de Cuba but our first to the Brisas Sierra Mar (3 ½ star). The weather co-operated and once again we enjoyed 14 good days. There are of course pro’s and con’s but the food, service and general ambience of the resort for me gives it the thumbs up. We were there from Jan 9th to 23rd. For context we are retired empty nesters in our late 50’s enjoying our 14th trip to Cuba, all various AI’s.
First the cons or deal breakers for some. This scenic resort is built into a hill with 3 levels of rooms above the main lobby/ facilities area and 4 levels below, all overlooking the Caribbean. But be warned, there are a lot of stairs. We were on the 100 level so we had to go up 4 levels to the main area (buffet, pool, cadeca, front desk etc.) but we had easy access to the beach. There are elevators however only one was working and it got you between the 1st and 4th level. The other elevator that would get you to the main level was under repair. If you have mobility issues this may not be the best resort for you.
This resort has a dark sand beach that can get very hot in the sun. Also there were a lot of rocks and coral in the water close to the shore making water shoes a necessity. However If you walked down towards the public beach area there was a lot less rocks but a few more waves. For us, we love to snorkel, and it’s one of our main considerations. The reef was impressive with a nice variety of fish but because the water was never still, visibility varied daily. We did manage to get 2 excellent days.
The rooms are dated but clean and any issues that did arise were dealt with promptly. I can’t comment on the TV as it was never turned on. Going up and down the stairs could be a pain at times so I would recommend something on the 400 level, however they are quickly taken up by returning guests, and there are many. For example in our second week the resort had to have 2 returning guests dinners as there were more than 100. This in itself speaks volumes.
So now on to the pros. The buffet was plentiful and had a good variety of food. At breakfast there was usually a cook station to get your eggs done the way you wanted. For lunch we alternated between the buffet and the Ecological restaurant. A lot of the produce is grown locally and the tomatoes were the best I had in years, anywhere. The beach restaurant “the Ranchon” was closed due to roof reconstruction.
The Cuban a la cart was OK but we were surprised to find that wine was extra (or slip out to the pool bar and bring some in in a plastic cup) however they did have a nice selection available to purchase. At the International a la cart (“the Mariposa”) wine was included with your dinner. The meal was enjoyable and when we returned the next week we were presented with a seafood menu which was equally tasty. Gala night at the buffet is on Friday nights, and was definitely the best night for food. We also went off resort to a nearby restaurant “The Oceana” and enjoyed a great lobster dinner with local entertainment at a very reasonable price.
There was evening entertainment in the main lobby and sometimes at the pool bar at around 4:30. These very talented musicians were a joy to listen to. The evening shows varied, from audience participation, dance, water ballet, or local bands. Some days were better than others. And yes there are mosquitoes so remember to bring your bug spray. The resort also sprayed every night which helped a lot.
There are 4 bars at this resort and what impressed us was they never ran out of mint! This is the first resort we’ve been to where it’s always on hand. You could also get a mojito or a properly blended Pina Colada at the beach bar.
One of the strong points for this resort is the friendliness of the staff; they really made you feel welcome. This may explain why they have a lot of return visitors, which I’m sure one day will include us. Most people there were around our age so I wouldn’t call this a party place but it did have a disco; don’t know if it was used. Not many kids either, but there was a kids club so maybe it’s more active during March break. If you look up my channel on YouTube (MrJarArt) I’ve posted a few videos of this trip.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank jar-art
Parry Sound, Ontario, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2013

Wow!! What fun!! My friend and I decided on a last minute trip to Cuba (I love Cuba). We decided to try out a 3 star---I was a little worried but let me tell you--it was fantastic!! We were there from the Jan 27th til Feb 3rd The ride in the bus there(in the dark) was an experience--very bumpy road to the resort.
STAIRS--Embrace the stairs my friends---there are alot of stairs--great workout!! (The hotel is built into the side of a mountain/hill) Everywhere you look is a beautiful view--gorgeous sunsets!!
The food was good and a great selection!! (Although we were too late to get any `pig` from the pig roast at lunch.) Breakfast omelets were delicious! Had some Lamb and some chicken legs off the buffet --delicious! We never did the a la carte's the buffet was good enough for us.
Do yourself a huge favor and go for a 10-15 minute walk out the front gate turn right and go to Oceano Restaurant--the best lobster for only 12 pesos plus a few other yummy items on the menu. We went twice--once for dinner and agian for lunch--nice walk--lots of goats, pigs and a couple of cows wandering freely.
We met up with a great group of people and everyone on the resort is of course very friendly as all Cubans are.
This is for the guy that was complaining at the piano bar--are you kidding me??--Causing a fuss because they didn't have any tonic water---get over it and drink something else!! There is no club soda either.
We went for a horseback ride up the mountain to the little waterfall it was fun and Noel Senior and Noel Junior were terrific---you could tell they cared a great deal about their horses. (TIP:if you are going to go horse back riding up to the little falls take some pesos and some treats for the family you will meet on the way back that will give you a drink of coffee.Also buy some 'horseshoe nails' and take them to Noel for his horses.)
The mo-ped excursion was a blast as well-went to a school(take some school stuff with you) Met Lydia and her family--left them some stuff--We ended at a beach that had the best waves--knocked our bikinis off!LOL
The views everywhere were awesome and you can walk for miles down the beach---you will have the locals come out and want to sell you stuff---just tell them firmly---no pesos not interested.
The entertainment at night is O.K.-- they do their best.
The disco was fun too---my friend managed to round up all the young adults as well as some seasoned guests (Ernesto) on the first night and every night after that and get them in there dancing---way to go Beth!!!
So laid back and relaxing if you want to be or lots to keep you busy as well---Anthony--you rock. We really enjoyed our water aerobic workout and you put up a gallant effort in Volleyball!
The Resort Band was really good and sitting in the piano bar in the evening is the place to meet people---walk up to anyone and say hi and you become fast friends!!
The pool bar was our hangout and Adonis took great care of us!!
This is a cuban owned resort and it is a 3 star. Hurricane Sandy kicked the crap out of this place but they are rallying back and slowly getting things fixed (money is not plentiful) but all in all I would definately go back there again!!

Room Tip: Embrace the stairs my friends---there are alot of stairs--great workout!! If you have bad hips,broke...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
6 Thank Toni W
Also consider these accommodations in or near Guama
Hotel Brisas Los Galeones
Roc Santa Lucia (Ex Gran Club)
Roc Santa Lucia (Ex Gran Club)
#1 of 4 in Playa Santa Lucia
Club Amigo Carisol Los Corales
#4 of 12 in Santiago de Cuba
Paradisus Rio de Oro Resort & Spa
Club Amigo Farallon del Caribe - Marea del Portillo

Been to Brisas Sierra Mar Hotel? Share your experiences!