“Pleasant location on the hill”
Review of Hotel Versalles

Hotel Versalles
Ranked #4 of 12 Hotels in Santiago de Cuba
Reviewed July 2, 2013

We stayed for two nights during our trip around Cuba. Air conditioning noisy as usual, but beds were of better quality. Spacy rooms in small two story bungalows. Very poor breakfast - maybe due to low season as the hotel had very few guests when we were there.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Amaryllis_007

Reviewed May 14, 2013

This hotel was an excellent choice for us; it is perfectly situated just 5 minutes to Santiago Airport and about 3 minutes to downtown. We found it to be very clean and comfortable room with a sliding glass door to a lovely patio with chairs & table.
The pool was fabulous and well maintained with lots of lounging chairs and covered sectioned.
Our package included Breakfast & Dinner, the food could not be better with many tasty choices and lots to eat. Sometimes we had lunch at the hotel and it was also spectacular. We will be returning at the soonest possible date.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Gloria K
Reviewed April 2, 2013

Cubanacan chain hotel, on ridge about 2 km. from Santiago de Cuba. Good view over town from restaurant. Good pool with good shade and sunbeds.
Good sized room with fully tiled shower room. A/C old fashioned on/off wall control but worked OK. Old fashioned TV with CNN. Digital safe 2 pesos/day. Phone, no hairdrier, fridge/minibar. Some noise from adjacent room as there was an interconnecting door. Some road noise from lorries on adjacent hill. Noise from disco until about 2 am, then corridor noise until about 3 am. Perhaps the management needs to decide whether they are running a hotel for the guests or entertainment for the local people who paid 6 peso per person for the disco round the pool.
Evening meal OK. Breakfast poor on first day. The fried eggs were past redemption. Better meal
on second day and better breakfast with eggs/omletts cooked to order.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank ColinEssex
Reviewed April 1, 2013

The hotel and rooms were clean and well maintained, if like us need a quiet bedroom, make sure you request rooms away from the road and the disco (which goes on to late into the evening). The food was a little bland but there was plenty and a choice, it is a buffet so go early as it doesnt look so good after a while! We decided not to go into the pool, just sunbathed, the area was kept clean but the pool didnt look so good, there was leaves and other items floating on the top and the childrens little pool was a very odd colour. Locals use the pool and as we were there at the weekend it was quite loud and busy.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed March 4, 2013

We stayed here for two nights in February 2013. We didn't have a reservation and have been to about five or six other hotels which were all fully booked before we finally came here. They were hesitant to give us a room at first but then they still had one available. It was one of the two storied cabins they have. The other rooms are around the reception and pool area. I think (although I have no proof) that the cabins are nicer than the normal rooms, so try to get one!

Reception was nice but couldn't answer any of our questions, the same is true for the Cubanacan representative so maybe it's best to not rely on their help.

The room was very nice. It seemed to be clean. We only had water during the day though. No running water (same is true for the toilet) at night, not sure if this was just our cabin or a temporary thing though.

We had dinner at the restaurant one night and not only was it expensive (~30 CUC for two persons) but it was also pretty bad (as in: it didn't taste good, actually it didn't taste like anything at all). I would definitely recommend eating somewhere else. Same was true for breakfast.

The bad food is a common theme in Cuba, the same is true for obnoxiously loud music around the hotel pool even though no one was there or no one seemed to enjoy it. Definitely felt out of place but somehow the Cubans seem to like it.

We had our own car and could park right in front of our cabin. You definitely need a car or cab ride into the city.

I think we would stay here again. That said there were the usual problems with the hotel feeling run down etc. but it was okay.

Room Tip: A room in one of the two-storied cabins is nice
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 25, 2012

Our worst experience in a 17 days travel in Cuba.
The hotel location is in the sourroundings of Santiago de Cuba, and if you have a car by your own this is a good option, but considering that you don´t mind to be among young girls with old (and not old necessary) white men from (the fist class world) buying their sexual services. Maybe some tourist search this kind of tourisim but our experience was awful and discusting how everyone in life has a price. The Hotel it's oriented to this public and they are permisive with these clients behaviours, please take this in consideration before stay there.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Simortega
Reviewed January 27, 2012

Hi I`ve just returned from a one week stay at hotel Versalles in Santiago and here is my review. This hotel is perched on a mountain top overlooking the city of Santiago. The property is in excellent shape and very clean. One of the advantages of staying at this resort is that there is light local traffic and far from the busy noisy polluted city center. My room 201 was directly across from the pool close to the reception, a good choice, the room is large with two double beds, desk and a couple of chairs. The beds are not super comfy but better than other 3 stars I`ve stayed in Cuba. The walls are constructed of bricks pretty unusual for Cuban standards so pretty good sounds proofing you can`t really hear your neighbor, at least I didn`t. This hotel celebrated its 50th anniversary in December 2010 and when it was built it was rated as a 5 star. It’s now part of the Cubanacan chain. Every room has a small patio with a couple of chairs and a table. In the room you will find a color TV with twelve channels, fridge and alarm clock and a safe that will cost you an extra 2 pesos per day of use. The bathroom was clean and all tiled, I never ran out of hot water but there was absolutely no pressure, no I mean no pressure, I know what you are thinking I didn`t come to Cuba to take a shower but without exaggerating it took a whole minute to fill an 8 once glass, so you have to be patient to take a shower. I was travelling alone and this place really felt safe, cameras everywhere. The staff was very accommodating and helpful which made my trip most pleasant. Breakfast was included in my package and it was fine by my standards although it was the same buffet every day. I had super there at the restaurant Los Vitrales a few times, first night I had bistec de cerdo (Pork fillet) which was great and it was served with a soup salad bread and desert for a whopping $5.50 Pesos, $ 1.50 more for beer or water. I thought this was a great deal so I returned a couple of nights later but it was an all you can eat buffet for $ 12. I didn`t think that this was so hot of a deal, in any case I returned at the end of the week and I re-ordered that same bistec of cerdo because it was really nice for the price, but to my surprise when I got the bill it was now $12 I asked the waitress why it $12 now instead of $5.50 last week but she couldn’t answer me, and I had asked for a bottle of red wine without checking the price and that was another $12 so total was $24 pesos which is exorbitant for a three star hotel. By the way you can have a full course meal at the restaurant 1900 in the heart of downtown which is in the famed once Bacardi`s residence which is by far the most upscale restaurant in Santiago for $12, your choice! I like to think that someone made a few bucks from a Yuma (tourist). The pool hours are 10:00 to17:00, Nightly entertainment is nonexistent, there is a nightclub Salon Rojo that`s adjacent to the restaurant that is open I believe from Thursday to Sunday. Locals are admitted but need to register prior to entering the club. There is a (Cadeca) to change money on the premises, as well as a cafeteria that`s opens a 15:00 combined with a small shop. There is a snack bar by the pool that makes hamburger, sandwiches, fried chicken which was fine for lunches. Since this hotel is about three kilometers from the city center, reception can call you a metered cab which will cost you between $3 and $4 pesos to get you to Cespedes parques. Raoul who works at the reception can also drive you around, I used him to bring me to the Moron Castle and back at what I think was an honest price. I walked to the city center during the day and back at night and I felt very safe. If you are up to it try a motorcycle ride, I used them most of the week and I recommended you to try it. It`s easy, you will notice that there are many motorcycles around Santiago, when you see one who has a helmet hanging off his arm just wave you hand, hop on and go, one peso will get you across town. So for the final question would I return to Hotel Versalles? Absolutely, actually this is the nicest three star hotels I have ever stayed in Cuba.
Enjoy!