“Cuba,Cuba,Cuba always a mixed bag. "Its Cuba....."”

Club Amigo Carisol Los Corales
Ranked #4 of 12 Hotels in Santiago de Cuba
Honolulu, Hawaii
“Cuba,Cuba,Cuba always a mixed bag. "Its Cuba....."”
Reviewed November 17, 2013

To be brief my Cuban friend begged me to come. He didnt tell me he had not made reservation till we got the. Yikes. The beautful internet photos are misleading. Food was hit or miss with days with no vegetables. Avocado is out of season I think. I saw none. My Cuban friend complained of smelling smoke in his room for $52/night but there was hell to pay. When we returned from a trip that evening we were locked out of all three of our rooms. I saw the old men with escorts, mean/bored with cuba looking staff, unkempt grounds. Some great ice cream before it ran out, the pool was nice, my room was clean and most of the staff were nice. I do not want to spend money on a place like this again. The whole trip if something goes wrong "Its Cuba....."

• Stayed November 2013
4 Thank Charles D

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (231)
  • Greek first
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed November 12, 2013

My wife and I are frequent travelers to Cuba and we do not have high expectations ,and up till this resort we were always pleased with the visit.To start with the way the food was laid out was disturbing,the birds and insects were landing on the plates and eating from them the dishes were not very clean either.Then there was the older men who were seen and heard paying employees at the resort for what they call escorts but actually there were about 10 men i seen with 15-16 year old girls and this was seen by the staff .We mentioned it to them and they said "they do not allow that " (ya right )they also were changing the exchange rate on canadian currency and would not give us a print out of our exchange.some were getting 80-90%of their exchanges.Then there was the outings OMG,wow .We went snorkeling and there were about 8 of us and most were new at it ,you think knowing this the guide and instructor would go over things with these people but nope not a care one woman if not for my wife could have drowned where he brought us the current was so strong that when you went under the water you would come out 50-60 feet away from the boat within a few seconds .It just seemed to me that they really did not care either way if we were there or not mind you there were of course very nice staff that cared and appreciated our tips and items we gave them,the performers were decent ,and the locals I love to mingle with the locals .I truly do hope if you should choose to go there still you have a much better experience than we did ..

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
9 Thank James J

Travelers are raving about these Santiago de Cuba hotels

Milton, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed November 5, 2013

The hotel was recommended to me by another person and they did not disappoint. The hotel is good, the staff are excellent and the food was great. Loved two weeks of beach, pool and bar. Please note there are no telephones or internet yaaaaaaaaaaaa. But there is lots of sun and fun to be had by all.

Room Tip: If you are looking to be by the pool asked to be in the 300 block.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
13 Thank William T
newmarket ont.
Reviewed October 15, 2013

This was my second time to this resort i went with a friend Aug 12 for 1 week . I had so much fun it was very hot 46 with humidity we stayed in shad most of the time . the staff was great i loved my bartender Renaldo very sweet man if you go bring him shavers very expensive for him to get there.My housekeeper was awesome my air conditioner broke and i waited all day for someone to come. She came and moved my stuff to another room and then told front desk i moved . we didnt have water for 3 days but we made the most of a bad situation they brought us jugs of water and our housekeeper came in and flushed toilets. They gave us a free trip to city and a very nice lunch.When you go be sure to take in the beautiful surroundings and all the little issues wont seem so bad . my friend and i are going back nov 11 for a week my 3rd time this year her 4th . hope this was helpful and please enjoy your vacation there very nice people that work there........

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
9 Thank laura v
London, Canada
Reviewed October 10, 2013

The first thing to do before you leave is to buy things that they dont have in Cuba . such as tooth paste . Then give it to the people who do things for you while you are on vacation. Beats having to tip.They expect tips even in the all inclusive resorts. God forbid you don't have money in the local currency.Secondly, drinks are cheaper than water,God forbid you ask for a glass.So take small bills always.

Room Tip: Cabins close to the Ocean
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
10 Thank coolsummer2013
Brantford, Canada
Reviewed October 8, 2013

we just made our third trip to this hotel in 2013. We loved everything about this resort, especially the staff. The food, pool, waterfront, rooms, service and everything else was wonderful. The hotel is very clean, well managed and other than needing some cosmetic repairs, the property was amazing. We loved the food, always fresh and well presented. The staff went beyond everything to make the holiday enjoyable. We had bonfires on the beach, a trip down a nearby river, with cliff jumping, the traditional trip into Santiago, twenty dollar, one hour massages by nurses at the resort, We quickly became a group of about twenty Canadians and some Cuban folks who had so much fun throughout the whole week. Thank you so much, to all of the staff and management. We will all be back again soon. BTW: the cost was under $500 pp for everything....amazing value!

Room Tip: We were in the 500's and had a pool view from the balcony, but all locations looked good.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
13 Thank judi106
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed September 30, 2013

Been going to this hotel for 5 years now and still going back. The staff are very caring and fun. The diving is great the dive masters and captain Landy are the best. The weather is always nice and hot. You can't go wrong with the price.

Room Tip: Always ask for second floor.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
#12 of 12 in Santiago de Cuba
Gran Club Santa Lucia
Gran Club Santa Lucia
#1 of 4 in Playa Santa Lucia

Been to Club Amigo Carisol Los Corales? Share your experiences!