“Dog & Pony Show!”

and 1 more site!
Club Amigo Carisol Los Corales
Ranked #4 of 12 Hotels in Santiago de Cuba
Reviewed April 3, 2013

Just back from 1 week at this hotel. We had no expectations as price was great. Always something to eat. Tried restaurant just outside of the gates for lobster pretty good! Brought many items to give staff & locals. Massages $20 CUC w/nurse Anna great. Nice people tourists & staff. Beach ok for snorkelling but bring water shoes.Did trip to Santiago bus broke down 1/2 hr into trip finally back to hotel & did it again next day. The fortress is awesome and saw many important places important to the Cuban people guide was very informative. Shows hit or miss. The pool was colder than the ocean so went there occasionally especially for 4:00 pm Bingo. 2 ala cartes Cuban & Seafood. Went to buffet after both! The real downside was dogs (many) and cats at the buffet. No problem w/bugs at beach. Being in the Sierra Maestro mountains was beautiful. The hotel is not repaired if something breaks and the trees and landscaping are not looked after. We were in Holguin in October 4 star and huge difference w/3 star here. Horses & Steers & Goats allowed to poop wherever they like! They share the property w/tourists etc. We went to the closed resort Carisol next door and saw crap in the enclosed soccer pitch and basketball area in fact all the land between the two hotels. Piles everwhere you look no one cleaned any of it up or anything at the small beach area. The best coffee was the cappachino at Lobby bar the coffee at all the restaurants was terrible & this from a country that I buy bags of beans to bring back!! If this hotel could have better management and $ infused in it what an oustanding hotel this could really be. Also had air conditioning working, hot water and great pressure. Only mirror in room was faded in bathroom. Our maid was exceptional and the room was kept very clean. The trip to and from hotel approx 1 hour so not a bad distance to travel as scenery was awesome. Please remember to tip everyone they work hard & make very little to support their families and bring pens etc for tokens of your appreciation it goes a long way! The timeframe we travelled was not busy last week of March so suggest this would be a good time to visit. If anyone has any questions regarding this hotel please contact me. We read Trip Advisor for all vacations booked and listen to pros & cons from contributers. Think I will go to Dominican Republic for my next trip!!!

Room Tip: We stayed in Room #311 2nd last room lower level. Surprised w/partial ocean view.
5  Thank SunseekersToronto

Reviewed April 2, 2013

This was mine and my bfs first trip ever and we were soooo pleased, and I didn't think at times because of reading such horrible reviews on this site. First of all negative nancys it is 3 star, what were you expecting?? Second, there were NO FURRY SPIDERS, in fact we saw NO bugs or insects are entire week there..not even mosquitos down by the beach late night lol. The food was 3star food, sometimes it got cold but I guess we weren't there quick enough, you will never ever starve there that is certain. The staff were GREAT, as well as their families that visited on family day. I left a package every afternoon on my bed for the chambermaid, they are spoiled so I also gave items to the sweetest guy ever..the gardener, very old man and probably works the hardest, and also the omlette lady..without her breakys wouldn't have been too good (go before 8 am and you are bound to get some bacon into ya :P ) But we didn't go there for the food we went for the SUN and boy did we ever get it, lots of it. I will definitely go back!! The beach is mediocre for sure but slap on some goggles and get in the water and you'll see why it's all worth it...wear sandals or water shoes. My bof and I paid under a $1000, it's 3star..you cant beat it, we are satisfied 100%

Happy Travels :)

Room Tip: Room 422 was perfect at Los Corales, It was smack dab in the middle of everything!!
7  Thank Jacqueline J
Reviewed April 1, 2013

This was our 5th visit to Cuba. First in Santiago area. I will make this brief but add what I feel differs from what others have had to say of late. First we paid about $500 all in for a week of fun. Right there you are getting an amazing bargain.
1) Flight: We flew on CanJet, first rate. Nice hot meal, champagne and wine , a movie and very attentive staff. Very impressed. And we were lucky that they were on time going down and coming back.
2)Beach: Kind of lacking in Beach, but this is normal for this part of Cuba. If a large beach with miles to walk is what you want, this is not the place for you. However the view looking towards Guantanamo Bay takes your breath away. Compared to what we know of other resorts in this part of Cuba, this beach is actually not bad. Sadly the area has been so devasted by the Hurricane Sandy and as ususal in Cuba it takes forever to get things fixed.
3)Food: Yea it's Cuba but there is always something to eat. The pasta and pizza next door to buffet is really worth trying and the lady on duty there trys so hard.
4)Bars and Sevice: We did tip here and there but not all the time. To be honest we could have done no tipping and still got good service. My logic is usually if you are nice to people they are nice in return.
5)Shows at night, except for Magic show are decent. Good cultural experience with performers who put there all into what they do. They put on a aqua show one night in pool with a local group of sychronized swimmers which is very good.
6)The people : You really get a feel for how hard the Cuban people have it at this resort as you travel to and form airport. I feel we were treated first rate.

My advice as others say is have an open mind, enjoy the view, the pool is amazing, meet some new people, relax and try to help the locals a bit and you will feel really good about yourself when you get home.

This is not a 5 star Cuban resort, maybe it's not even 3 stgar, but you know what it's a heck of a time for $500 or therabouts all ine.

Room Tip: Our room was in 200 block and had a beautiful view of ocean.
8  Thank bflojim
Reviewed March 29, 2013

FOOD - mediocre or even less - husband caught a parasite of sorts - ended up in emerge one day after our return home. I was sick for a day and half while at the resort but less severe than my husband. Food was mostly cold, rarely labelled so you had zero idea just what type of meat the dish was unless you were lucky enough to get the attn of a staff member and ask.
SERVICE - just okay. Found there to be a lack of motivation to pleasantly care for the visitors of this resort. Bar staff where generally slow and made you feel as if you were imposing on their time to serve you a drink. Beach bar fella was wonderful, he was a breath of fresh air, that I do have too mention!
ROOMS - once again just okay generally clean. Sliding doors to balcony do not lock - a stick is placed at the bottom of the door. Maintenance room right beside our room has a wooden window that leads directly into our bathroom so there probably was no need to lock our doors at all, as it would have been easy to gain access direct into our room if someone had wanted. Water from the maitenance room pipes was contstantly leaking on floors. Had to be very careful when walking on ceramic flooring so as not to fall. Had no towels or toilet paper in our room the one day, we found ourselves having to wander up to reception to ask for it. No apologies for inconvenience, just a subtle, I will call the room attendant and have her deliver to your room in an hour or so. Once again, it was almost as if our request was too much of a burden. We are far from high maintainance people but a glimmer of caring from reception would have been welcome.
GROUNDS KEEPERS - saw them constantly throwing rocks at the dogs. The dogs do not seem to like the male grounds keepers. I didn't pay to come on vacation and witness animal cruelty!. Yes the dogs and cats roam at will throughout the resort and while I can see that for some this may be troublesome in the dining area (I wasn't bothered by it personally) it was the dogs at the beach location that seemed to take the most 'rock throwing' from the staff. At one point I was walking with my husband up to the lobby bar with a new little 30pd female friend wagging her tail behind us when a worker grabbed a big rock and tossed it at her. I was outraged and found myself in a shouting match with him and another local that came to his 'rescue' defending his actions. This dog ran from him with her tail between her legs while I watched in disgust. Another time I witnessed a dog just minding her own business sleeping under a wicker chair in the lobby - I saw a different male worker walk up and try to grab her - I heard her whincing in pain!! She ran over and hid under my chair. This behaviour is just plain inexcusable! I am enraged even as I sit here and relive those incidents.

My husband and I are accustomed to 3 star as well as 5. We have never had a problem with any 3 star and actually prefer the relaxed atmosphere of this level of resort. However, this particular resort in our opinion was nothing more than a 2. We would never return!!!! It was the absolute worst resort we have ever vacationed in and I must mention we have been to numerous resorts in various areas of Cuba and are always left wanting more. It was all I could do not to skip to the bus with my baggage in tow the day of our departure.......the week had finally ended......although the effects of intestinal bacteria my husband acquired is just now finally subsiding with the help of medication.

2  Thank Kimberlee D
Reviewed March 28, 2013

Food: everyone knows that the food in Cuba is not very good anywhere, it would be a great idea to bring some snacks from home like chips, chocolates, spices . etc. Keep away from the burgers and hot dogs at the snack bars, they are terrible and always under cooked.
In the buffet their is always some decent stuff you can eat like the white rice and meats they make at the grill. During lunch they have a pasta bar which is pretty good compared to everything else.

Rooms : The rooms were really clean and conftorable. The maids did not steal anything , their is also a safe for your valuables. Make sure not too lose the resorts towels or you will be charged 25cuban/$. the rooms on the bottom floor were much cooler then the upstairs rooms.

Weather : The weather is always extremely burning hot because its in the southern cuba. The sun here is too powerfull so its not a good idea to stay in the sun too long or you will burn and start too peel. wearing a 60 sunscreen is very important , unfortenetly i was in terrible pain in my room for the 3 first days because of my severe sun burn that i got on the first day. I peeled terribly on my whole body and im all discolored so its extremely important to always put on after-sun cream everyday after catching some sun.

Entertainment: There is a show every night at 9 30 P.M and they are not very amusing , pretty boring. At 11 P.M they have a Disco by the beach and it was very fun . some nights it was dead and some it was very live with good music ( english and spanish) . I heard that this place does not have alot of young tourist , but the week i was here it had a bunch of younger people ( 13 / 30 years old ) the rest were all older , its not the best place for younger people who like to party like me but i had a good time with all the people i met.

Beach/Pool: The beach was not as nice as the one in varadero , cayo coco , and other places. There was only a few areas in the beach that you can actually swim in without swim shoes . If you wanna swim deep in the ocean you will need water shoes. The sand was alot of rocks , horse poop , etc.. But i still had fun time on the beach and the water was super nice and warm. The pool was always clean. I loved the floating chairs and the swim up bar.

Alot of maids and employe's around that offer braids , manicures/pedicures.
its only 5$ for manicures and 5$ for pedicures , bring your nail polish from home because they dont have many.
Dogs all around the resort but they are very friendly , quiet and not bothering at all.

This place is overall more of a country more then a tropical enviroment but i loved it , and i would definetly come back if it were all the same tourist .

Room Tip: Rooms on the bottom floor are cooler but its better to stay in the top (room 221)
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank LeilaA99
Reviewed March 25, 2013

We stayed in Los Corales for 2 weeks in February. Have been to Cuba 8 times
before, we decided to bring our little one to this resort as his first vacation trip (we stayed there one year ago). Needless to say- we had a very enjoyable vacation with many good
memories.

FOOD:
As have been said before, don't expect too much, it is not a 4 or 5 star hotel,
but the food is good. If you want to eat something extra- there is a restaurant
right on the right side of the resort, they have lobsters and shrimps and fish
(i think the dish is ~12-15$). There is also another one by the laguna, 5 km on
the left. Being this time with a baby, I was reluctant to eat elsewhere but
resort restaurant, so didnt try their food. However, if you walk through the
security at the entrance and turn right (there is a paved road), you'll reach
an end of the U road, there is a fisherman tent. They sell what they catch
(fish, octopus, etc), 4-6$/fish. If you bring it back to the kitchen, for some
$$$ they will cook it for you. It doesn't come out cheap (with the initial
price+cook$+tips$), but it is fresh sea food, wich you may never try again.
Anyway, we ended up buying there pretty often.
A few times we had a problem at the dinner, when the food "run out" at
around 7:30 PM, and people were walking around with empty plates. Otherwise, there
was always something to eat (not at breakfast, they can add a few extras
there).

Waiters are generally OK, at the breakfast and lunch, try to seat at the
"outside" part of the restaurant, Teddy there is the best so far we
have met in Cuba.

ROOMS and CHECK IN
I contacted the staff before and asked for the room in advance to avoid staying
in the line with a little baby on my hands. They did accommodate us, and we
registered and filled out all needed forms next day (many thanks to them!).
I was "surprised" at our fellow travelers, when many didn't want to
let us through at the check in (again with the baby), i do understand, 4 hours
flight, 1 hr bus ride, but..... (but again, once the clerks have noticed us- we
got the key right away). So if you travel with little kids- do try to arrange
for a room in advance, you may not be let through by others... (very sad).

Rooms were OK and clean, we didn't spend too much time there, but it was nice to
come back there.

Beach
There is plenty of shadow there, I will try to upload pictures, but overall, if
you decide to spend all time at the beach- there is a space to hide from the
sun at the midday. You do need water shoes if you decide to walk and explore.
If you there just for a swim- may not need them.

GUESTS
We've met many many many nice people there. Yeah, the majority was 50-70+, but
they partied not less than 20-30. Got many suggestions and advices from grandma's and grandpa's.

Please send me a PM if you need tips on what to bring for a baby, don't want to
overwhelm this review.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank donotknowyet
Reviewed March 23, 2013

My husband and I have been to Cuba over 10 times, a little everywhere. By now, we know what to expect and are usually pleased. Apart from being very clean, this hotel offers JUST the basics. For instance, we did not have any butter for the whole week we stayed there. Because of hurricane Sandy, the beach and other amenities were damaged. Nonetheless, if you don't expect much, this is a place to relax. The food was very basic but very eadible. I could have lived just on fresh bread and rice! One down side though is there is dogs,cats and birds in the open dining area. They walk around freely stopping from table to table in quest of anyone who is nice enough to give them food. I adore animals, but not while I'm eating... We took an excursion to visit several important monuments and such in the city of Santiago (1 hour away from the resort) which ended up being pretty expensive considering the guide narrated the history in the tour bus and we did not physically visit much. Where we could have visited (i.e. a museum), we had to dish out more money apart from the one payed for the excursion... and this did not even include a lunch. I'll resume by saying that although it was rudimentary, the weather and snorkling compensated for it. We are not picky people but if we'd have to go back to Santiago, we'd consider another hotel. Lastly, the staff was more than friendly and polite, and always trying hard to ensure you are fine.

Room Tip: Just tell them the truth. We changed room twice and they were more than accomodating.
3  Thank Lucy A
Hotel Club Amigo Atlantico Guardalavaca
Islazul Hotel Libertad
Islazul Hotel Libertad
#9 of 12 in Santiago de Cuba

Been to Club Amigo Carisol Los Corales? Share your experiences!