“Club Amigo Los Corales” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #5 of 12 Hotels in Santiago de Cuba
Pickering,Ontario Canada
“Club Amigo Los Corales”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2013

I stayed at this hotel from Jan 30 - Feb 13,2013. I thought that the grounds around the resort were Ok.pool was OK. The food was the worst that I have ever had in any Cuban resort, I would like the management of this hotel too at least have name tags on the food so the hotel guests know what they are consuming.

Room Tip: Stay away from this place, till they get a better menu.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
7 Thank VivaChe

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (229)
  • Greek first
Mississauga, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2013

Honestly... Stay AWAY from this place!
They don't wash the dishes with soap, just wipe with a dirty towel! I cought them in action!!! I can't believe my wife and I spent a week there... It's like sharing the same spoon with 250 other guests! I don't think anyone would be ok with this... I also got served a chicken bone under my pizza one time (they didnt clean the plate after someone had chicken before me!!! the pizza also takes over an hour before you get it... Wow... If it was clean at least, but it's not... Manager is also useless... After complaining he didn't even discipline the waiters... Towels were stained and nasty. Tarantullas everywhere... Real ones! Only 2 scooters available for 2 hotels (500 customers I believe). S_e_x trafficing obvious at the resort... Not a place for kids!!! Beach is horrible if you can even call that a beach! Make sure you bring some shoes because if you don't, walking on the beach will be uncomfortable. The resort was struck by the hurricane Sandy in Nov. 2012 so it's still in a rough shape... Disco is destroyed by the hurricane and replaced by a temporary tent on the beach... We lost electricity twice during our stay - at night = bring a flash light... Santiago De Cuba (the city) is not as nice as in the pictures - I think they took the pictures early in the morning when all the traffic, people and pollution were not around! Get ready to be hasseled for a peso everywhere you go! So on and so on... I've been to Cuba (3-4 star resorts) 6 times and this one BY FAR is the worst one. Do yourself a favour and go somewhere else! I had a stomach ache the whole 7 days! Cheers!

Room Tip: second floor has higher ceilings... and MAYBE less TARANTULAS...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
13 Thank Mirko S

Travelers are raving about these Santiago de Cuba hotels

Dollard-des-Ormeaux, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2013

My husband and I visited this resort for the first time Feb. 1-8th. We are in our 50's. We have travelled extensively including all-inclusive resorts (always a 4-star or better), cruises and escorted tours in Europe. This is our second visit to Cuba, we went to Cayo Coco in 1998. We stayed on the Carisol side, Block 400, top floor. After reading the reviews I felt a little apprehensive about booking it but we found such a great deal, I thought let's take a chance. If nothing else it will be an adventure and we'll get away from winter for a week. The weather was amazing! It was sunny and hot every day. It rained for about 10 minutes the whole week we were there. Not too windy just pleasant ocean breezes. We loved the fact that everything except for our accommodations is open-air. Coming from Canada in February it's all about spending as much time outdoors as possible. Our room was nothing fancy but it was quiet, clean and spacious. The shower was large and there was plenty of hot water and the water pressure was great. We were given clean towels every day and there was always plenty of toilet paper. The bed was a little firm for our liking and by the end of the week we looked forward to sleeping in our own bed. The room had a balcony which was nice. There was a TV in our room with HBO and a local channel from home so we could keep up with the news if we wanted to. We had access to both the Carisol and Los Corales sides of the resort. We preferred the buffet and the pizza/pasta restaurant on the Los Corales side. Throughout the week the food as well as the service on both sides was hit and miss, but we always found something to eat. Both the white and red wine were not bad, they come from Spain. The drinks and the wine tasted better than some 4-plus star resorts we have stayed at in the past. The Carisol side had the best coffee in the lobby bar as well as the pool bar. A big shout out to Fernando and his team at the pool bar. We were always well taken care. They work hard and very long hours. Due to hurricane Sandy there was a lot of damage in the area which they are slowly recovering from. There is two large pools with swim-up bars and floating mattresses to lounge on in the pool which we enjoyed. We never felt that the pool area was ever over-crowded. The beach was still full of coral and other debris that came ashore from the storm but we managed to swim and snorkel. The water was warm like bath water. I'm glad I brought some water shoes though, they really came in handy. All in all we had a relaxing, laid-back holiday. I would not recommend this resort to everyone. If you're looking for luxurious accommodations, gourmet food and polished service you will be sorely disappointed. If you want to get away from winter for a week and spend time in fabulous weather and you don't want to spend a lot then this is a good place to go to. It's like camping in the tropics except you have a room to sleep in and your meals are provided. I would definitely consider returning to this resort but for no more than a week.

Room Tip: Ask for a top floor room. We met a couple who were staying in Block 1 on the ground floor and they h...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
17 Thank debraleibo
Innisfil
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2013

We stayed in the 200 block of Carisol and it was great. However, we were relocated from Bucanero due to its closure and requested Los Corales and the request was not honored. We weren't impressed but, in the end, it didn't matter.

The room was great. Apart from missing out on the ocean view of the Bucanero, it was perfect. The water was hot, the a/c worked and so did the fridge. One of the beds was kind of hard, but we just slept in the better one. The room was so cool, we kept adding blankets, which our maid added when she made the bed.

We had an amazing time. Our only complaints would be the mediocre buffet options. But we always found something to eat. The omelets at breakfast were great, the pizza and pasta at dinner were good, and the bread was AMAZING! We pretty much ate that and pork and rice and fruit and had bread for dinner a few nights. The banana chips at the beach bar/restaurant were the best snack!

We went into Santiago de Cuba twice, once on the bus and once on the boat, and they were both great experiences.

You definitely get more than you pay for at this resort. There's no way you could get this here in Canada.

The service was great, except for the grumpy guy at the pizza/pasta place at Carisol. He was just miserable and, IMHO, shouldn't be in the customer service industry. Otherwise, the staff was warm, friendly and welcoming.

The staff was great, especially the gardeners. They were so helpful when we were looking for something and did their best to help.

I would recommend this resort to anyone who isn't expecting to be waited on hand and foot.

Room Tip: We were in the 200 block on the upper floor. It was generally quiet and we didn't have any probl...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
13 Thank Kiara874
midland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 8, 2013

We were at the Carisol side from Jan 27 till Feb 4. We were a gruop of 5. Good or bad first, let's start with the good. Resort is well kept, staff are generally freindly, bartenders were great, so was the maid. We had an issue with no hot water first day and it was taken care of the same day, unfortunely we keep running out. Now the bad.

Food- Not labbled, hot food was cold and cold hot. Major cross-contamination going on. Raw fish and pork cooking onthe same grill with the same untensils. Next morining same grill is used to cook bacon and eggs. Bacon always raw, eggs undercooked depending on cook. Only one grill for cooking all the meat-breaskfast-luch and supper. Last moring the server took our dirty forks and knives and I witnessed her just wipe them and place them in with the clean, one word-Gross. All 5 of us have returned with tummy troubles, one seriously sick, heard others mention tummy troubles too. Understaffed in the dining area need to get your own things we tipped but it didn't make a difference, staff is overworked. Be prepared to catch anything your fellow passengers have you are using thier silverware. Cuba is not know for thier food, I have been before but I was not prepared for such unsanitary conditions regarding food handling.

Beach- You do need water shoes only went in once, water was warm but there is alot of seaweed. The beach is a mess with all the stuff from Sandy but others enjoyed it.

Entertainment- Lacking on the Carisol side, no staff keeping people engaged, be prepared to entertain yourself. Nightly entertainment was rotated between resorts, typical shows.

Trips- We went to the dolphins swim and I have to say it was the highlight of my trip. We swam for about 30-40 minutes and did a variety of tricks. It is cheap 7 to get in and 39 to swim, unheard of anywhere else. The aquarium has been wiped out from Sandy only 2 dolphins and one sea lion left, so sad. We also rented a cab and went into Santiago for the morining, it was great. These were the only trips and the saving grace for this trip.

Spiders- Yes there are spiders and some fo them are tranatulas. We had one outside our romm and it was big. The 100 block seem to be the worse. Last day someone said they had a plam sized one in thier room, staff killed it.

Cuba is beautiful, safe and it's people are freindly, but the unsanitary conditions are just too much. I have given Cuba up as a travel destination. Traveled to a 4 star in the Dominca last year, much better trip. I am not willing to risk my health for a cheap trip anymore. There is an advisory for Havana for cholera, it was in Santiago in the summer, check the website. You get what you pay for.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
12 Thank motts64
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2013

This hotel labels itself as "Carisol Los Corales" in its title, however they are in fact two separate hotels. When we booked we did not realize this, and subsequently the bus dropped us off in the Carisol lobby of the dual resort, and so by default we signed in at the Carisol front desk, and were therefore placed in the Carisol part of the resort. It wasn't until we tried to attend the Sunwing meeting the next morning and were subsequently told by a fellow tourist that we were in the wrong lobby (which we were told on the bus the previous day was the correct lobby) that we discovered there was another resort. Los Corales was a much nicer hotel. Nicer rooms, pools, eating areas and stage area.
We asked at the front desk why we weren't told to go to the other resort by the front desk even though my voucher clearly stated I was book at Los Corales and they told me that if I wanted to switch rooms I would have to go over to the other resorts lobby, ask if they had free rooms, if they did, I had to come back and check out and then check in at the other lobby. We were going to do this, when our made came to show us pictures of her children and tell us how grateful she was for our gifts. While I'm sure this is apart of the show for tips, it was enough to keep us at Carisol. The two resorts are very close together (5 minute walk), so we decided it was just as well not to move. It ended up however that there were GIANT SPIDERS in our section of the blocks of rooms. They were big and black and looked like tarantula's. The maid also ended up forgetting to bring us any towels for our room 3 days in a row, even after we asked her once. She did however make us swans and designs out of all of the towels and blankets when she did bring them, and she also put flowers in our room. However, my friends earring fell off the counter one morning and she couldn't find it when she realized she'd forgotten about it later on in the day. Our maid had to come by later to bring us something and we asked about the earring and she had been wearing it in her ear and did not say anything to us about it until we asked.... sketchy.... Then later on in the week when we finally went to the front desk to request towels, he told us our maid was off duty and was going to leave it at that until we pressed harder and he said he would call the head maid. 45 minutes later we still had no towels so after another visit to the front desk and another 10 minutes later, the front desk clerk brought it himself.
None of the food at either buffet was labeled so eating it was a blind taste test. I tried to ask one of the waitresses what one of the items was and she had no clue. Don't expect drinks during dinner unless you tip, it won't happen. The pizza/pasta bar on the Los Corales side was really good for lunch and dinner, except that they want you to only sit in their small designated area and not in their buffet to get it, and its supposed to be table service but no one ended up following this rule and would just line up to get it, but none of the waiters or waitresses or cooks would say anything, but they would get mad with the customers about it and complain to each other about it and there were no signs posted saying you were not to line up and get it, when it's right beside the buffet. This was confusing and made for 45 minute waits for food. Not to mention some of the cooks went out of their way to be slow. And none of the waiters speak any english, so taking an order is difficult. Otherwise the actual food quality was exactly what I expected. They have 2 a-la-carte's, a seafood on the Carisol side and a Cuban on the Los Corales side. We did not eat at these, but we heard it filled up very fast and you could only book them the day you wanted to eat there and only at 10a.m.
Julio the entertainment director was very fun, so was Armando the dance instructor. The bar service was really great. The is a 24 hour pool bar on the Carisol side and a 24 hour snack bar on the Los Corales side, although I heard late night they only have ham sandwiches if they had anything. The public bathrooms were abysmal, often with no toilet paper, no flusher, always running, no lights in the bathroom, etc.
The beach was nice but there was little shade for when it was scorchingly hot and due to hurricane sandy, there were still lots of rocks on the beach, often making it difficult to walk on with sandals or no shoes. They were working to clear the bigger rocks off of the beach though. There were no random vendors walking around and hassling you on the beach which was nice and they had activities every day.
There were no drinks in our room cooler every and the safe did not work. The shower had decent pressure though and the bathroom was clean. They never changed our bed sheets the whole time we were there.
The disco blew down during the hurricane so they have a temporary tent. It starts at 11pm every night, though they don't turn the lights off or the music on until someone shows up, which is kind of awkward. We met a few young people while we were there but it was mainly 40-50 year old crowd if anyone came. The buffet was open from 7am until 10am, the lunch from 1230-230pm and dinner from 6:30-9:30pm, though the disco/snack bar was open from 11am-5pm. They served hot dogs and hamburgers and fries.
The people who worked there were really friendly though sometimes way too friendly. We were two females traveling together and we got cat called literally every where we went. At one point a worker actually followed us for 2 minutes barking and howling at us. This did however result in better than average service. The bus was 45 minutes late to pick us up for the airport and watch out and make sure your bag goes on the same bus as you, because it doesn't always. They posted our flight and bus time on a board in the front lobby which was not explained to us at the meeting. It said check-out at 6;00am and bus at 7am however no one checked out until 6;30 at the earliest. I was also told by several people that none of them received wake up calls they had ordered.
You must go to the front desk to get a card for your beach towels. You must then find your maid and exchange these cards for towels. She is then supposed to change them every day, but by the time they come around, you are already using yours at the beach. You are then supposed to be responsible to change them back for cards with her at the end before check out, but that's almost impossible. However, he did let us exchange them at the front desk upon check out.
They also let their cows and horses go around the disco and the beach at night and they do not clean up the poo, so watch where you walk when going to the beach. They are scared of humans so they won't come up to you. There are also many wild dogs and cats around the resort who will beg for food constantly, the locals call them all Bobby. We got our money changed at the front desk the first day with no problems however I did not get any small bills.
As usual, be prepared to be surrounded by smoke 24/7, smokers smoke everywhere. And I mean everywhere, including in the water in the pool.
Our air conditioning worked great. The maid was really thankful for our gifts, we brought girly hair accessories, deodorant, toothpaste, clips, hair brush, shampoo, tylenol, pens, pencils. She even brought her kids to our door to meet us and kiss us on the cheek to thank us.
The shows alternate which side they're on each night, but they were mostly dance shows and they were awful. The water show was okay and there were 2 with a fire eater, however he did the same routine each night. The dancers often forgot their routines and seemed unpracticed. They played Gangnam Style 24/7. They played salsa music 24/7 and there was some english music at the disco, but expect to be absolutely sick on salsa and gangnam style. The performers would go around asking for tips after each show.
When you arrive at the Cuban airport and go out to the buses, you must check with a Sunwing employee standing in front of each bus with a list to see which bus you are on. It's about an hour ride to the resort from the airport. There were lists of activities and shows for the week taped to the window of the rec room by the buffet. It also had pool tables, ping pong tables and bathrooms in it, and there was also one on the los corales side. They offered snorkeling, paddle boats, kayaks for free. There was a temporary stand on the beach.
The employees spoke extremely poor english, poorer than normal, which was hard sometimes.
I think that's it, hope this helps!!

Room Tip: Make sure you get Los Corales, away from the theater if you don't like loudness past 9:30pm
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
7 Thank Shauna22
courtice
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2013

Keep in mind this is not a five star resort. We knew this before we left, so I wasn't expecting much. I was surprised. Brand new expresso machine at the pool bar on the carisol side. new balcony chairs and table, newer flat screen tvs, and new air conditioners going in here and there. So our bedspread didnt match our curtains and there wasnt fancy wall decor, but it was sleepable and spotlessly clean.Our bedspeads where taken for washing and replaced on the same day. And they where for single beds not doubles, but it didnt matter. We have been to 5 stars that are not as clean .The beds are NOT pillow tops but not sway backs either. But sleepable.
Food was good they even had ketchup and mustard. Homemade pizza and spagetti.
Bathrooms are all tiled with a huge walk in shower and newer toilet. Sink counter was still old but there was a 110 outlet above the sink. I don't know if all the rooms have 110 oulets in the bathroom but ours did and it was labeled.I didnt need the converter.
You do need water shoes as the beach was devestated by hurricane sandy. They are still cleaning up here and there. But it was fun. Paddle boats and snorkeling right on the beach. Lots of coral and shells to find on beach walks. Around past the los coralis side there is a beautiful little bay for swimming,with a sand beach. It is public and we felt very safe. And you will meet the fisherman, he can get you a great deal on cigars.
NO SLUSHY MACHINE on either side. All drinks where good, Wine was better than expected.
We got to look in the beach bungalows that they are still redoing. They have kingsize beds. Our room had 2 doubles and the room next to ours had 3 singles.
The resort has pets. lol not really..There are a few abandoned little friendly dogs that hang around outside the buffet. Everyone feeds them. .And we named them too. It was fun watching the abandoned horses and donkeys walking around outside our resort on the side of the road.
The staff are wonderful. Just ask .
Our bathroom floor flooded from our shower. Our friendly maid morena cleaned it up asap and it was fixed next day. She told us to alert the front desk. We did. It was done.
On the los coralis side there is alot of 4 and 6 six week vacationers, all older people. Alot from toronto and montreal.
This is not a party resort though they do have a beach disco under a tent as the original one blew away with sandy. You can get a nice fast food lunch there too. and pick up a few trinkets for the kids.
The cheapest swim with the dolphins excusion I have ever heard of.
For the price we paid it was a gem. And we now understand why people go there to escape winter, year after year. We had a fun relaxing week and loved the comedy and aquaic shows the best. We will return and spend another week with zio, who goes there a couple of times a year. Every year!

Room Tip: The sunwing rooms have nicer rattan funiture than the hola sun rooms.But the rest of room is the sam...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Hotel Playa Cayo Santa Maria
Hotel Playa Cayo Santa Maria
#3 of 14 in Cayo Santa Maria
4.5 of 5 bubbles 6,102 reviews

Been to Club Amigo Carisol Los Corales? Share your experiences!