“Good hotel,excellent location”

Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Santiago de Cuba
Rhodes, Greece
“Good hotel,excellent location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2014

We stayed there for 2 nights on February 2013. This place has the atmosphere of an old grandeur and it is facing the most historically significant, beautiful and vivid square of Sandiago the Cuba. There are many sightseeing and restaurants around the hotel and the famous casa de la trova of Sandiago is just across the road. Our room was spacious, clean and simply decorated and it had all basic amenities although it needed refurbishment, especially the bathroom. Breakfast was satisfying with a big variety of selections. Another big advantage of the hotel is the roof terrace, with splendid views of the city, the sea and the square, with drinks and live cuban music, really great. We would definitely stayed there again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank nikonas1976

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Tampere, Finland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 21, 2013

Casa Granda has an excellent location in the city centre of Santiago de Cuba with walking distance to all central attractions. Hotel is nice and the rooms are clean. The service was good, especially Mirelis provided very useful information and a friendly service with smile. The problem with the hotel is that there is no internet access. They also had ongoing construction work which caused quite a lot of noice (as well as other construction work in near-by buildings). The music from the Casa Trova next street was also quite loud in some evenings.

Room Tip: Rooms towards the street have more noice.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank JJLuuk
Sault Ste. Marie, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2013

The Casa Granda is a lovely charming historic hotel set across the street from the main square Parque Cespedes.The square is alive with Cubans socializing and bands playing, drummers drumming, traffic buzzing and goes late into the night. Our room overlooked the square( as we requested) and the glass inside doors blocked out most noise when we wanted quiet.
The staff here are terrific and any problems are handled quickly and with a smile!They knew our names and service was quite personable. We loved the Terrace Bar which was a wonderful place to eat, sip mojitos and people watch.The roof top deck was another favorite with views of the harbor and city that were stunning! We found the food reasonably priced and well prepared and after trying a few palladars and restaurants preferred instead to eat at our hotel.( Good pizzas, roast chicken ,salads, beans and rice with flan for dessert. Breakfast was included and fresh cooked omelets were a great way to start the day. Drinks were $2.00 to $2.50.and certainly helped with the 38-40 degree temps!
The hotel is literally steps from the Casa de Trova music started at 11.00 am ending late into the evening with a few breaks in between. World class Cuban folk, Jazz, and Salsa at your doorstep.All other attractions and museums were a short walk away.The downside of a city center is the higglers waiting at the hotel entrance but" No Gracias"was all that was needed to send them away.If you are looking for a musical and cultural experience and like small historic hotels, with a friendly staff, Casa Granda is for you.Hi to Teresita and the other staff that made our stay special.
P.S.On my wish list- a small pool on the roof top would be so nice an addition to this property.

Room Tip: Upper floors with a view of the Square.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Hull, UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2013

We didn't stay here (choosing the smaller 8 roomed San Basilio only 5 minutes walk away), but we enjoyed a mojito early one evening on the upstairs terrace. The view was great (though sadly no sunset). However, not the best mojito of the many we tried whilst touring Cuba! We also went to to the downstairs bar to cool down a few times during our strolls around the city. It was a great people watching bar! I found it atmospheric and could appreciate the history.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Judy F
Bergenfield, New Jersey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2013

I think my room number was 202 there was some kind of music festival going on with the base pushed up so loud that made things shake, my room perfectly alined with the stage, unable to change the room upon request. (Hotel did not have control over the noise) the top of the curtains had black stains on them, other than that the room was fine with windows facing the plaza.
The roof was nice but service was horrible i had to get the waitress for service, wait forever for the food to come from downstairs, then get up to find someone to pay the bill for the mediocre food.
Once outside it was none stop people trying to sell you something, offering taxis, paladars, not my way to spend my day. I hated this place and could not wait to get out. I understand the economic issues but i don't have to like it. My thanks to the bell man who brought up the luggage and took time to fix it after it was broken somewhere along the trip.

Room Tip: I could not offer good infomation concerning a good room, since they told me that all rooms were fil...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Alfred C
nashwill tennessee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2013

This wasn't my first time in the Casa Grande but it was one of the best. Its obvious, the building need some repairs but it has changed. The breakfast in the cafeteria is nice, i like to see the people walking around in the city. The waiters work fast and theyare wery kind. Spesial thanks to the Quality Department, they do a great job, i met new friends. Mirelis is very professional and talented. She and her boss helped me a lot. Its fore sure ill bee back.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
4 Thank Don_johan_13
Rexdale, Ontario, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2013

Let me begin by saying I am a big city girl, and being such I am used to the hussel and bussel that goes on in the square. The loud music, car horns and people yelling do not bother me one bit. Actually it made me feel right at home. Also I would like to educate you a bit on the street rules of santiago. I hear a lot of confusion amungst tourists about the car horn honking and how irritating it can be. They honk their horns to let people in the street know they are coming, they also do it before going through an intersection where there is no stop lights to let u know they have the right of way or they do it to simply say "Hola" to friends on the street. The square can be intimidating at times but I am a tiny, 28 year old blonde woman who traveled alone and I never felt unsafe in the square, not at night, not ever. The people can be a bit pushy but a simple no thank u will do most times. There are beggers in the square, try not to make eye contact or they will hassel u to no end. A woman begged to take a shower in my room, at first I felt bad for her and I told her I would think about it. After discussing it with my boyfriend, who is a local cuban, he insisted that I let NO ONE enter my room. He informed me that some people are given the task of robbing tourists. That IS their job and they do it well. If you would like to travel outside of the city centre my suggestion is DO NOT take a taxi. A scooter can be rented for 24 hours at the low rate of $26 CUC a taxi to the beach, depending on who you talk to can range from $20-40 CUC.

The room- beautiful antique furnature, high ceilings, mini bar, flat screen tv and my room came with an amazing view of the square and cathedral. My one issue with the room is the safe. I use it on a regular basis to keep things such as my passport and money, however, it opens with your room key. Which in my opinion is not smart. If someone can enter your room (maid, repair man etc.) then they also have access to your safe contents. I generally lock my stuff away so those same people do not have access. So this makes no sense to me. I must note, however, that I had no incident occur where anything went missing.
The food inside casa granda: horrible! On my first day I ordered a cheese burger from the roof garden. It was uncooked and literally fell apart upon touching it. Breakfast- some days is buffet style and I suggest you get there early or options are sparce. Other days they give you a menu and the selections are limited.
The roof top garden- stunning views on clear days, friendly service and amazing pina-coladas. This is also where they have shows on the weekends. The DJ plays good songs and is very cute but I hear he is moving to Miami soon. Im sure the next guy will be just as good.
The entrance cafe- A lovely shaded spot to sip on a "cafe con leche" and people watch.

The service- I only once had an issue that needed fixing. The cable in my room was very fuzzy. After requesting a repair the matinence man arrived promptly and fixed the issue. Then I was greeted the following morning by a guest services rep who appologised for the inconvience and offered me a free drink in the rooftop garden. Very good customer service in my opinion. The front desk people are friendly but I did have one issue with them as well. One of the men that work the desk knocked on my door. I opened it promptly, expecting to see my boyfriend. Unfortunately I was greeted by this man instead. He kissed me directly on the lips and I was beyond horrified fourtunately my boyfriend was not far behind and made it very clear this was not acceptable.
The maid service- did her job well but dont expect any fancy towel art. I dont think she has the knowledge. There was a phone in the hallway outside of my room. Im assuming it was to reach the maid. It rang endlessly one morning, so much so that I wanted to rip it off the wall but then again im not a morning person.
The wait staff- always friendly and quick on their toes. I would like to remind some folks that this is not an all inclusive and tips are expected everytime you order. They need to make money somehow and if your service is good please tip accordingly. Also be sure to check your change given EVERY time. I almost ended up paying $4 CUC for a coffee until I noticed that I was short chaged What to do- walking around central santiago can be exciting and also extreemly tiring. Wear flats or running shoes, as the streets here resemble that of san fransisco, very hilly and lots of ups and downs.
The beaches- as I stated before, are not close but accessable by taxi or rented scooter. The rental cars here require a minimum 3 day rental at around $60 CUC per day. Not a good deal in my opinion, unless you have long distances to travel very often. Depending on the beach you visit you could be left dissapointed, as hurricane sandy did a number on the south shore. Beaches are now practicly abandoned, which is not so bad if you are looking to escape the big crowds in the city center.
The big rock ($2CUC/per person, which includes a drink)- access is difficult at best on a scooter. We had our moter over heat several times on the way up the steep winding road of the mountain. Once you reach the entrance be prepared to climb 452 steps to reach the top, however, you will be rewarded with the most amazing views once you make it. You will litterally feel like you're on top of the world, on a clear day you can see forever. I had the opportunity to experience these things with a local, who told me, and showed me things along the way I would never see or hear without him. If possible find a local guide for a pre-arranged price, however, its not nessesary. If you do take on a guide, be prepared to pay for all meals/drinks for him/her while you have their company. All in all, my stay was amazing! I was treated well and made many friends and I'll be back for sure!

• Stayed June 2013
#6 of 12 in Santiago de Cuba
Villa Pinares de Mayari
Villa Pinares de Mayari
#7 of 10 in Holguin

Been to Hotel Casa Granda? Share your experiences!