“Costa Morena”

Ranked #9 of 12 Hotels in Santiago de Cuba
Montreal, Canada
“Costa Morena”
Reviewed August 29, 2012

Price-quality is OK. Very quiet place. Food acceptable but always the same thing. No beach, you have to like ciment. Room in the 500-600 very nice, the others are OK. View is very nice over the ocean. There is really no night live. In general service is OK. If you decide to go eat outside the hotel for langousta, there is a few places. However, if Abel offer you langousta/horse back riding/caleche etc, be carefull. 2 of my friends got sick after eating the langousta......Abel talk a lot but no trust for me. Be carefull.

Room Tip: In the 500-600
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
5 Thank Yoyo L

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Quinte West
Reviewed July 27, 2012

Spent 2 weeks Feb 2012. The food is fine, the rooms are decent, and the ocean is beautiful. I would not recommend for kids, as the entertainment is mostley adult oriented. Many older couples, and some singles with Cuba girlfriends/boyfriends so if that is something you find upsetting, then I suggest you go to "Wally World" for you vacation. This is the true Cuban experience so come prepared with a book and sunscreen. Day trips to Santiago and horse drawn carriage to the Corales are the main attractions, with disco and animation most nights. The staff are great, canned beer can be purchased at the reception bar to stock your fridge. The bars have odd hours, which keeps the drunks fairly sober, which is my favorite part of the Morena. No sandy beach, but swimming is fine with lots to see. The only hassle I had was with a French Canadian guest, they can be very rude.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
12 Thank DANMACQuinteWest
Ontario
Reviewed June 4, 2012

My family and I have been travelling to this hotel for 17 years and we love it. It is a simple but beautiful hotel. The workers are great and they make you feel like you are home. We love everyone there and we cannot say enough about the way they take care of our family. We go back to this hotel many times a year and we are never disappointed. You get to have a vacation yet feel the heart and soul of Cuba with the workers and the surroundings. The rooms are simple yet clean and taken care of. The food is also simple but is good, and the alcohol is of course great! The property is beautiful with improvements that have been done everytime I go back. Nothing beats sitting by the water listening and seeing the waves crashing by the natural pool while you are enjoying a drink. I will continue to take my family to visit my Costa Morena family for many years to come!! All my love to everyone there!
Carrie, Shirley, Andy, Carly and the rest of the gang!!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
13 Thank Sigua
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed May 10, 2012

people are paiyng $500 per week they exspect to withdraw $ 1000 you get what you pay I have been to costa morena hotel and I pickup a beautiful dancer as girlfriend I go to costa morena 2 times a year also others hotels. I enjoyed. that is my secod home. if you want fish and chips and greasy humbuger and tim horton coffee don't go out the countryand sit by the bar all day long like you do in cuba and see how much will cost to you cuba is beautiful country and frientelly people.

Room Tip: good room by the restaurant on southside very nice no noise sunny place a\c no noise.beautifu place...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
8 Thank Johnny R
Guelph
Reviewed April 9, 2012

We had a wonderful time at the Costa Morena. We knew before we travelled there what we should expect and we had no disappointments.
The staff at this 2.5 star resort are 5 star!
Even when they are facing a long layoff for the summer, the staff still provided service with a smile.
Nobody was waiting with a hand out, Nobody was harrassing us. They were all friendly and helpful.
The food was adequate and plentiful. We had a nice lunch at the disco restaurant middle week and it was excellent for very little money. Wine was included and the waiter and chef were constantly checking to make sure we had everything we needed.
I can name many people who made our vacation a rewarding experience.
Luis Alberto,RinTin , Esther, Manuel, Jesus, Andres, Tato, Emil, Noah, Oscar, Jose, Mama, Juan Carlos, Leonardo, Papito, Machuka, Daniel, Roberto etc. etc. The people made our vacation more than the resort.
We have fallen in love with Cuba and will return and yes - to the Costa Morena. A resort with many,many more positive things than negative.

Room Tip: For something more modern, ask for block 5 or 6.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
6 Thank toodawgs
orillia
Reviewed April 4, 2012

When I went i had very low expectations and have to say that changed immediately! Unlike most people i went KNOWING it was not a 5star resort and the place exceeded my expectations. The people that work there for one thing will bend over backwards for you with a smile. I just mentioned to front desk about a couple of problems in my room and by the time I came back from the pool they were fixed.Felix our nolitours rep was amazing as was machooco, tato, manuel,sexy mama the wonderful lady cooking at the pool, juan carlos, edith (i think) at the buffet etc etc could go on and on!! Anyways the food was yes a little recycled daily but you know what didn't go hungry and the drinks are always flowing!! I stayed in room 148 and will plan to stay in that room when i return because it was close to disco and pool. Now for the comments about "beggars" and prostitutes, pretty sure if people from canada were in there position they would "beg" so fast their heads would spin!! Prostitution yes is there but they have no choice pretty sure last time i heard there was prostitution in canada??? Anyways bottom line if you did your research about the place why did you go?? We had an awesome time bottom line met a great group of people and had hot sunny weather the whole week!! Can't wait to return!!!!

Room Tip: stayed in 148 loved it right across from reception and half way to disco and pool
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
11 Thank johnnyOrillia
Oshawa, Canada
Reviewed April 4, 2012

I stayed here around the end of Mar for 1 week . I paid $500.00 and feel I got my monies worth . I would not pay more for this place and with the price being so cheap you must remember you get what you pay for . There is no beach @ the resort but GREAT snorkelling in and outside the natural pool ( see pics ) & rocks . Water shoes are a MUST !! The staff , I would give a 4 star and are not waiting for a tip every time , but it is appreciated and deserved . The food is what people say , very repetetive but good enough , you won't starve and would give a 3 star . The room was ok , but could have been cleaner , I give it a 2.5 star . The maid service was good and NEVER stole a thing from me or anybody I talked too . I met some great people there , Cubans & Canadians and am glad I went . Would I go back , maybe ?? . In closing I will say remember what your paying for this place , its not a 5 star and its not a Disastar if you know what I mean . It was very HOT , no rain and the prostitution thing is not as bad as it sounds and in no way interfer with your vacation . I looked at it as entertainment . If you have any questions , gimme a shout and I can help you enjoy your vacation here . Hola !!

Room Tip: 5& 6 buildings are newer & quieter .
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
#6 of 12 in Santiago de Cuba
Club Amigo Carisol Los Corales
Club Amigo Carisol Los Corales
#5 of 12 in Santiago de Cuba

Been to Islazul Costa Morena? Share your experiences!