“A bit too gloomy for MY taste”
Review of Casa Caridad

Casa Caridad
Ranked #3 of 53 Camaguey B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed April 12, 2013

With a number-one-rating on tripadvisor I was looking forward to my stay at Casa Caridad. My cheerfulness got dragged down a bit by the gloomy room I got at the casa with little space and odd bathroom. Checking the pics I get the impression I got the worst room. But breakfast was tasty and filling. Since I had to leave early I got two sandwiches wrapped up to take away along with all the yummy bananas I had not yet finished.

The hosts are nice - though nothing really clicked between us - and provided me with a map pointing out sights of interest in Camaguey. Plaza del Carmen was the nicest spot of all.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank roamingqueen
CaridadGarciaValera, Owner at Casa Caridad, responded to this reviewResponded May 1, 2013

Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback regarding our
house. I am certainly disappointed that your stay was not all that it could
have been.
We take very seriously our family business and for that reason we are very sorry that your room was not at the level you expected, our third room is now open remodeling we hope to have ready soon. Rooms deteriorate much when we are in high season in the austral winter.
However, we have to disagree on some elements of evaluation with respect to cleaning, because it has always been one of our priorities, but we will take action in terms of improving those elements that can have a negative influence.
Please feel free to contact myself directly via the below details if you are travelling
to Camagüey again so that I may personally take care of you and your next
stay and we give you our best room.
Once again please do accept my apologies.
Sincerely
Caridad García Valera
caridadgarciavalera@gmail.com

Reviewed April 2, 2013

Large comfortable casa with multiple high ceiling rooms located conveniently a few blocks from the main street. Peaceful leafy garden courtyard to relax on rocking chairs and eat meals. Clean rooms with ensuite and a fridge with plenty of drinks and pricelist. Meals are good, particularly the soup at dinner. The owner was very friendly and helpful, and put in the effort to communicate despite our bad spanish. Slightly busy feel at times with visitors and guests in other rooms, but overall very good.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Scott M
Reviewed March 27, 2013

Although the casa is nice, spacious and clean, we did not get the same homie feeling as we had in other casas. The owner is very friendly (bit too much) and runs her casa as a real business which makes it a less genuine experience. The garden is nice to have meals. Diner is cooked by an emplyee and the langoustine we had was average compared to other casas. Soup however was very good. In-room fridge with plenty of beverages but no pricelist. Make sure you do inventory of number of beverages in the fridge at arrival, cause we were charged a sparkling water without having touched any. Another negative point was breakfast. The owner asked us what time we wanted breakfast but the two mornings we had to wait 30 minutes before we received any food on the table, which is a bit anoying when you have a tight planning for visiting. We have not encountered this problem in any other casa, where breakfast would be ready at agreed time. Overal nice casa but not very pleasantly managed.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 18, 2013

A lovely casa
It was a great pleasure to stay at Casa Caridad, which is centrally situated but still quiet. Mrs. Caridad, her husband and her staff welcome you with their warm hospitality in this lovely house.
We had made a reservation for 3 nights and had a beautiful spacious room with a high ceiling and doors and a separated bathroom tiled in art-deco style…….beautiful. The beds were excellent to sleep on and there was a lovely garden with flowers and plants and enough seats to relax or to have your breakfast and dinner. Because we had the experience in Vinales, Cienfuegos and Trinidad that having dinner in a casa particular is much, much better than in local restaurants we enjoyed the excellent delicacies Caridad and her staff served us during our stay. A stay to remember that’s why we highly recommend this casa particular to everybody visisting Camaguey.
camagueyrentals@gmail.com / Phone: +53 32 291554

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank aadentony
Reviewed February 26, 2013

We watched hummingbirds in the lovely garden/courtyard of this elegant casa. The location near the centre is ideal. It's easy to get lost in Camaguey so look out for landmarks on your way into town. Friendly owners and good food.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank geofflorna
Reviewed February 26, 2013

This is a nice, big house in the centre of Camaguey. We arrived at 2 am from Baracoa and found Caridad was waiting for us, and we immediately went to bed. We had a spacious room (but do forget a wardrobe, which anyhow seems to be a luxury in Cuba) and a very nice, big, clean antique (yet perfectly working, I must say) bathroom. We had a lovely breakfast, thanks to the lovely lady who works at the house during the day. Dinner was also good - Caridad cooked a very good soup which really helped my sister overcome her sunstroke. However, despite saying she made the best mojitos in Cuba, I must say I have a different opinion. Caridad is a very caring person, she makes sure you always understand what she means, and indeed constantly asks "entiendes" when she speaks (I do speak almost perfect Spanish, by the way). She always gives you her opinion on anything, and lots of advice - from tours, to drivers, to casas where to stay on your next stops in Cuba. She is so popular in Camaguey that her phone rings day and night and she has to attend to business almost 24/7. She is so busy that she has to send other people do her errands - ie her shy husband or her sons who do not live in the house. And I really do hope you can read between the lines.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
5  Thank taffani
CaridadGarciaValera, Owner at Casa Caridad, responded to this reviewResponded March 10, 2013

Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback regarding our
house. I am certainly disappointed that your stay was not all that it could
have been.
I would like to apologize on behalf of our family if our behavior was not good enough.
We will try to make better mojitos next time and not boast with the achievements. Our suggestions just trying to make your trip more enjoyable through Cuba.
We are a very close family and I have only one child living in the city of Camagüey, who runs another guest house, and two others living in Havana. Many young people in the streets posing as my children trying to move tourists to other houses in the city.
Our popularity in Camagüey, is not the result of chance but of years of commitment and dedication to our guests. We will work in terms of improving our difficulties and so can give you a warm welcome next time you visit in Cuba.
to Camagüey again so that I may personally take care of you and your next
stay.
Once again please do accept my apologies and I do hope that
the remainder of your trip to Cuba was most enjoyable.
Caridad García Valera
caridadgarciavalera@gmail.com

Reviewed February 21, 2013

Stayed three nights at Caridads lovely casa. Good food, central and within easy walking distance to everything. Nice patio area for sun or reading. The hostess and host were very kind and helpful in advising us regarding casas in other cities.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Telly40
Also consider these accommodations in or near Camaguey
Hotel E Santa Maria
#2 of 23 in Camaguey
Hostal Amalia
Hostal Amalia
#3 of 49 in Santa Clara

Been to Casa Caridad? Share your experiences!