Saratoga Hotel
$91
TripAdvisor
Average 3/5
    1,388 results
    All reviewsmezzanine barrooftop poolpatio roomjunior suitefree wificapitol buildingold havanabeautiful hotelother hotelscigar factoryseparate showerour honeymoonnoisy at nightinternational standardsstreet noisebreakfast buffetel floridita
    FilterAll languages
    Reviewed June 23, 2011

We booked a Junior Suite at the Saratoga for the final night of our fortnight's holiday in Cuba. Unlike some other reviewers, we were pretty impressed with the service and facilities provided by the hotel. Staff were friendly and helpful at check-in and throughout our stay; our suite was cool and comfortable with floor-to-ceiling shuttered windows opening out onto a balcony with views of the Capitol; the ensuite bathroom was great too with a powerful shower (by Cuban standards!) and plentiful supplies of hot water! Although we didn't eat in the restaurant, we can definitely recommend the roof top pool with it's bar and near 360 degree panoramic views of the city. The pool was particularly welcome after a 6 hour transfer from Trinidad! In fact, I'm finding it hard to think of any negatives. I suppose some might find the traffic noise, particularly during rush hour, disturbing, but I think this is more than made up for by the location of the hotel, which is within walking distance of all Old Havana's attractions...

Room Tip: Book a junior suite for the views!
    • Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
    Reviewed June 14, 2011

We came to Cuba for our wedding. We rented a suite. It was amazing. Two story, balcony, with amazing view of capital. Great breakfast included next morning.

Staff was amazing.

• Stayed: June 2011
    Reviewed June 12, 2011

Mentioning where we were staying to guides/hotel managers everyone confirmed to us that Hotel Saratoga was the No. 1 hotel in Cuba & upon first impressions we thought this to be the case. The location can not be faulted, the exterior & indeed the interior of the hotel was certainly impressive, but not surprising considering this is 'apparently' a 5 star hotel. My husband & I stayed here on the 2nd week of our honeymoon for 6 nights.

The Check-in: Poor, we had paid for a junior suite & as per our booking we were to ask for a upgrade. The check in staff (after consulting with the person beside her) told me they had up graded us already from a standard double to a junior suite which was incorrect, we were handed the key cards & dismissed. It was absolutely pointless at this stage showing them our booking stating we had paid for a junior suite.

The Room: Impressive, comfortable bed, good views, comfortable couch (for relaxing & smoking cigars!), bathroom was beautifully decorated & quite large!

The Breakfast: Shockingly bad, all the breads were kept under lights which dried them to within an inch of their lives. No matter where we sat, trying to get the attention of the staff for tea & coffee every morning became such a chore, one of us would have to get up & follow the staff to get their attention. The food was not often replenished, the juices etc. were regularly.

The Facilities: Good, the business centre had lovely PCs with instant internet access. The bar on the 1st floor had a minimum charge of 10cuc which considering drinks here were as expensive as at home - this wasn't a problem! The restaurant was fine, portion sizes were small. I was handed the extensive wine menu (about 10-12 pages) but it became clear that they had only a fraction of wines in the hotel & the menu was just for show!!
    There was a Spa which was closed for renovations but they had converted one of the suites which was absolutely fine, I had a massage which was ok.

The Service: Appalling, I absolutely understand we were in Cuba, I 100% understand service can not be compared to 5 star service in a Western hotel, but I couldn't even rate the service it was so bad. I think it was the general air of the staff that really disappointed me. As I mentioned we were on honeymoon & with that came certain items we were supposed to receive: a welcome cocktail; a bottle of wine; flowers; breakfast to our room; turn down service each day. My point is don't offer these things unless you are going to provide them.
    It took 2 calls & a visit to the reception desk where I spoke to 2 different people to get the welcome cocktails & we were then told that we couldn't drink them in the bar but had to at the reception desk because there was the min charge upstairs & we were getting the alcohol free drinks for free!! Now come on, doesn't that sound ridiculous?
    The wine...4 calls & 2 conversations face to face where people were shrugging their shoulders as if they didn't understand a word I was saying. The wine arrived to the room - a half bottle let me add, we did laugh.
    While waiting to be collected in the reception area for a tour, I thought why not ask for the flowers, why bother I know but I just wanted to see what their response was. More shrugging & I don't know what you are talking about, until the manager came out & spoke to me. She advised the hotel do not have a flower provider so I would not be getting my flowers. The hilarity of her statement was that the reception had beautiful arrangement of fresh flowers (about 8 of them), so I said just drop me up one of those! She practically dismissed me when I said this.
    The breakfast to the room...I filled out the card & left it on the door as instructed, breakfast was ordered for 9am the next morning. 9:30am no sign of breakie, so we rang reception. They said they would investigate & be about 10 mins. 15mins later the phone rings & the ask us what we ordered, we confirm the order. 10:15am the 'breakfast' arrived, it was disguising, rotten bits of fruit (no joke) cold coffee, hot tea, two glasses of OJ, two chocolate bread things, where was the salmon, the selection of breads, the fresh fruit - you get the picture. I rang reception 3 times & asked to see the manager in our room. 2 managers arrived & I simply asked them to explain the food, they couldn't, they agreed it was very poor quality, I explained our experiences over the last couple of days & how everything had turned into such a struggle, something which we should not have had at the hotel. They wanted the names of staff who shrugged their shoulders at us & said they didn't understand, as apparently all the reception staff speak & understand English perfectly. I was hugely disappointed with this as it surely wasn't my job on holidays to keep records of their staffing issues! We left the hotel for the day to explore & arrived back to the room, where a bottle of champagne was waiting for us. While it didn't make up for our dreadful experience, it was a nice gesture from the managers.

Overall, I would not recommend this hotel for honeymoon, holidays or business purely based on their dreadful staff. The staff need to be trained in the basics of customer service, ignoring a customer or generally being rude because you couldn't be bothered helping your customer is not acceptable in any country let alone a hotel that proclaims itself to be a 5 star hotel.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
    10  Thank RepofIreland
    Reviewed June 6, 2011

We stayed at the Saratoga for two weeks mid May and we had a friend fly out for one week. We chose the hotel because it was meant to be the best hotel in Havana - it wasn't.

The staff around the swimming pool make you feel like an inconvenience, and that's putting it mildly. Though, tip them handsomely and suddenly they are your best friend.

The rooms were nice, we took junior suites. Big bathrooms and views of the Capital building. I didn't mind the street noise, it added to the ambience.

The major issue for me, other than the poor breakfast and general low quality food at the hotel was the ever present prostitutes. I was holding a business meeting one day and requested that my guest meet me on the roof for a coffee. I later found her downstairs in the lobby because 'she wasn't a hotel guest' and therefore not allowed upstairs.

Fair enough. But why one Sunday night, was the mezzanine bar full of underage prostitutes? Up to nine at one point. We asked the doorman what was going on and he suddenly couldn't speak English, walkie talkies buzzed and suddenly they departed. The night receptionist did speak, she said: "If guests want to take girls into their rooms, we can't stop them."
    Not only did she not stop them, but she charged one Australian hotel guest 75 CUC for the pleasure of escorting one prostitute up to his room.

The Saratoga receptionist, doorman and night porter, were all taking a cut. We asked to speak to the manager the following day but surprisingly he/she wasn't available, nor did any staff member ask for our reason. Were more members of staff involved in the prostitution ring?

Anyway, just to say. Nice rooms, grumpy staff up on the roof by the pool, terrible food, good daiquiri at the mezzanine bar. Give breakfast a miss and avoid the restaurants in the Saratoga.

Wouldn't go back!

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
    4  Thank Citydweller_11
    Reviewed June 5, 2011

The hotel couldn't have been better.

Compared with hotels of the same cost in other places in the world you don't get much, but you have to realise where you are.

Eating and drinking in the hotel is surprisingly cheap, 7cuc for a Pizza and 4cuc for a Daiquiri!

Breakfast was good, very nice compared with the food available in the rest of the city!

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple