“Quality music, food and drinks so reasonable - had a great night”
Review of Jazz Cafe

Jazz Cafe
Ranked #7 of 41 Nightlife in Havana
Reviewed September 6, 2011

The jazz was quality, the cocktails small but then half the normal price, had filet steak for 8 cuban pesos - unbelievably good value. Didn't stay for the dancing after but atmosphere was buzzing. Staff very friendly even though don't speak English very much. The Manager did and was very helpful with the Spanish menu. There were 17 of us and we all got our food at the same time. Hardly paid anything on top of the 10 peso cover charge - wonder how they do it. Location is a bit out of the way but well worth a visit. Loved it! Highly recommended.

3  Thank shazzagj

Reviewed July 14, 2011

The Jazz Cafe Havana in the Galerias del Paseo shopping mall across the street from the Hotel Riviera and the La Zorra y el Cuervo on La Rampa. The mall is closed, and you feel like your taxi left you in the middle of darkness, but enter and it is on the second floor. We listened Oscar Valdes and his group Diakara. If you like latin, cuban jazz, i guess this place is the best for you. You pay at the entrance but this fee includes some drinks. Prices were so reasonable. Only negative point for this place is Air Conditioners!!! The temperature inside was 12 degree celcius i guess. Whenever you you, you should take a sweater or coat.

1  Thank conf-traveller
Reviewed September 5, 2010

My parents and I visited the Jazz Cafe on our recent trip to Cuba (August 2010), and really enjoyed it.

The location perhaps isn't the best (a bit in the middle of nowhere), but we got a taxi there and easily got one from outside when we left, so it was a non-issue. My dad did get approached by a lady looking to 'do business' shall we say, so men, please be aware of this!

You pay 10CUC entrance to the Jazz Cafe, but this can be spent on food and drinks. The bar looked very upmarket (nice decor, smart waiters etc) so I thought the food and drink would be expensive; I was very wrong. Food started at just 1.5CUC for a burger (looked very tasty), with a large selection of other dishes very reasonably priced (I think most were under the 5CUC mark). Drinks started at 1CUC for a soft drink or water, 1.5CUC for an international beer like Corona, and 1.95CUC for cocktails: very cheap.

The service was outstanding. We tipped, and I didn't see anyone else do this: the waiters/waitresses seemed genuinely surprised and pleased. They were extremely attentive, standing in positions where people could easily make eye contact if they needed anything (sometimes in places where drinks are in effect prepaid this doesn't happen), and constantly cleaning/clearing tables etc; they were also friendly and professional. By far the best service I've had in 2 visits to Cuba.

The band we saw were excellent: very modern, but extremely accomplished musicians, and people could get up and dance which was nice.

Be aware that the AC is cranked up high; maybe so people don't drink as much, who knows. I'd suggest ladies wear long trousers or a maxi dress and cardigan, and men wear long trousers and a jumper or light jacket.

All in all it was brilliant value for money: I'd have paid the 10CUC for the band alone, so the fact this could be spent on very reasonably priced food and drinks made was great.

If anyone would like to know anything else, please ask.

7  Thank london86
Reviewed January 9, 2010

The entrance to this bar is through what seems to be an empty shopping mall, which is a bit strange to say the least. There is a $10 CUC minimum spend per person which I thought was no problem. A few hours later, after having 5 Mojitos & a huge pasta dish while my wife had a pasta dish as well & 2 margaritas, I was amazed when we asked for the bill & were told that there wasn't one as we'd only spent $20 CUC's! Pasta CUC $2.95, Mojito CUC $1.95. Awesome value!
It pays to check what time the bands are on as we arrived about 9pm to find the band packing up. Panicking a little, we asked & were told there was another band later(phew!) that started about 11pm. So we settled in, had a few drinks & a meal & enjoyed the venue. It's mostly tourists but the place is pretty good. it has a view of the Malecon which is apparently great at sunset although we missed that. The food was really good & the band was fantastic. There are no smoking signs in the venue & as I wanted to really get into the Cuban rhythm I asked where I could go to have a cigar. The waitress brought me an ashtray & said 'right here'. When I pointed out the No Smoking signs she just said 'Oh don' t worry about those!". Gotta love Cuba!

5  Thank Fair_Dinkum_Mate
Reviewed May 5, 2008

In front on the melia Cohiba Hotel on the Malecon.

The mall is closed, and you feel like your taxi left you in the middle of nowhere, but enter and on the second floor, there is a jazz club. Cuban girls often stand there to wait for the tourist... No comment...

Mostly tourists get there, the place has no charm at all, but sometimes there are good bands playing. The AC is freezing, the room is very big and the atmosphere is quite cold when there are few people.

Not friendly, but sometimes it is the last bar open in Havana...