“Not interesting at all”

El Barrio Chino (Chinatown)
Ranked #105 of 235 things to do in Havana
Rotterdam, Nederland
138 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 77 helpful votes
“Not interesting at all”
Reviewed January 29, 2013

Chinatown starts with a chinese gateway on Avenue Dragones, but the only real chinatown is a small street (Cuchillo) a couple of hundred metres down the road. Only has some restaurants and a couple of shops. Not interesting at all.

Visited January 2013
1 Thank Tissa010

• Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Quebec City, Canada
85 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 740 helpful votes
“not expensive for lunch”
Reviewed December 3, 2012

all the restaurants try to get you with deals ,free mojitos ,and free soup but everything for 11CUC for both ...why not great taste and cheap price and nice waiteress

Visited November 2012
6 Thank moineauQc
Vancouver, BC, Canada
91 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 259 helpful votes
“Not a Place for Chinese.”
Reviewed November 14, 2012

When the African Slave Trade was abolished, indentured Chinese were brought to the island on 8 year contracts to work in the sugar cane fields. At one point in the 19th century there were about 40,000 Chinese in Cuba. Now that number is said to be under 400 on an island with a population of 12,000,000. There might be a few who work in Chinatown but you have to look hard to find them. Coming from Vancouver which has hundreds of great Chinese restaurants, I can only feel sorry for this place.

Visited December 2011
2 Thank RobinThom
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
79 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 93 helpful votes
“as any other chinatown in other cities”
Reviewed August 21, 2012

Havana could not miss to have it's own china town, but it's not diffrent form anyother I've visited.
Just a few blocks away form the Capitolio.If you like Chinese food, definetly go there

Visited August 2012
Alexandria, Virginia
62 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 166 helpful votes
“The Superman scene from Godfather II!”
Reviewed May 28, 2012

My wife and I visited Chinatown on May 19, 2012.

I am a fan of films, and of the off-beat and sordid. I knew that the Superman scene in Godfather II was inspired by the notorious pre-Revolution Teatro Shanghai on Calle Zanja, in La Habana's Chinatown. I also knew that the teatro had been demolished after the Revolution. Still, I wanted to see the site of the teatro, and off I went with my patient and understanding wife beside me.

We took a Coco-taxi from our hotel, got off near the Chinatown arch, and started walking on Calle Zanja. After a couple of blocks, I decided to ask some elderly neighbors for directions, who kindly told me that the teatro had indeed been demolished long ago, but that in its place was the Parque Shanghai, and they pointed me in its direction. I soon found it, I think and hope, and I was happy.

After that, we took a bici-taxi into La Habana Vieja. Our driver, Iván, pointed out interesting sights along the way. Upon arriving at our destination, at Obispo and San Ignacio, in tribute to his hard work and pleasantry, we paid Iván triple his standard fee.

Visited May 2012