La Colonial 1861
$208
$172
galahotels.com
  • Restaurant
All reviewsbeautiful casamanager armandofamily roomgreat tipshabana viejade arteold havanavedado districtvia taxiquiet areawalking distancehome basesafe locationcubanoenjoyed our staylovely houseexcellent hosts
Reviewed August 7, 2013

i stayed here for 4 nights during a 2 week trip to Cuba and found Armando and Thaymara (and her parents!) to be marvellous hosts. They arranged for my transport to and from the airport, and recommended other casas in Cuba, all of which were great. In fact all of Armando's advice - restaurants, where to shop, what to see - was spot-on. I would definitely recommend staying here as the casa is beautiful and because it is not in the main tourist area you get hardly any of the tourist grief you get in Habana Vieja. I found it an easy walking distance to Plaza de la Revolucion, the University, the Malecon and a few other sites. The taxi situation was not so easy for me as I don't speak any Spanish, but I was starting to get the hang of the Collectivos, and as previously mentioned the Melia Cohiba is only a few blocks away so easy to get a taxi from there.
Thank you for a lovely introduction to Cuba!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Tessa0109
ThayArmando, Propietario at La Colonial 1861, responded to this reviewResponded August 7, 2013

Dear friend

We already mish you in La Colonial 1861...and all the bed and breakfast´s (casas particulares) owners in Cuba say that your are a great person and client. Thank you so much for everything...we hope to see you again in La Habana and next time for long time and I promise you that I will go to find the original british tea for you!!!. We´ll remenber you with love, always!

Muchos besos de toda la familia de La Colonial 1861

Armando & Thay

Reviewed August 2, 2013

As most people on tripadvisor have said, Armando and his wife are so welcoming, we felt like we had known them our whole lives. Other than recommendations on where to go, he took care of arranging a car for us to visit the tobacco farms, and a pickup/return to the airport.

Havana is not covered very well with tourist guides, especially since all the good restaurants are in the residential areas and tend to change over time. Armando gave us top notch directions and told us what to avoid; without him as our guide we would not have had nearly as much fun in Cuba.

Location is a 5-10 minute walk from the Melia Cohiba hotel, where you can grab a taxi to anywhere; alternatively there was a collectivo stop one block over .

Room Tip: All rooms have en suite bathrooms and A/Cs. The A/C's are a little noisy but they save you in the humid summer months.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Hashem A
ThayArmando, Propietario at La Colonial 1861, responded to this reviewResponded August 4, 2013

Dear Hashem

Thank you so much for your review. It was a pleasure for us to recibe you in La Colonial 1861 and we hope to see you again in Cuba. Please say hi to Noor!!!

Un fuerte abrazo!

Reviewed July 28, 2013

I highly recommend La Colonial 1861 stay here if you can! It is a beautiful Casa only a short colectivo ride from central Havana. The rooms are comfortable and contain everything needed for a pleasant stay (I was particularly impressed by the hairdryer!). The common areas are very impressive, with antique furniture and plenty of photography books on Cuba and its people, it is a lovely place to relax out of the mid day sun. We had nice breakfast here too, fresh fruit, eggs and good coffee!

In the run up to our trip Armando was extremely helpful, answering my many questions promptly by email, despite limited internet access. A last minute change in our booking was no trouble either. On arrival he gave us an excellent overview of the area and explained how to get in to central Havana cheaply using colectivos. This was fantastic as it allowed us to experience real Cuban life and see the inside of some of the old American cars!

I would also recommend the transfer from the airport, it was excellent, a delay in our baggage meant we were quite late getting to arrivals but our driver was still there waiting. His 1942 Chevvy was a great way to get to the Casa...perfect on our first evening in Havana.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank SineadMc2013
ThayArmando, Propietario at La Colonial 1861, responded to this reviewResponded July 30, 2013

Dear Sinead

Thank you so much for your review. We feel very happy because you enjoyed your cuban trip and you was ok with us. We hope to see you very soon in La Habana.
You always have a house in Cuba. Say hi to Niamh !!

Un fuerte abrazo

Reviewed July 6, 2013

I stayed at La Colonial for 5nights in May.
Just after I came inside, I was really surprised that the place is very 'Stylish'.
(The owner has a great sense of interior!!)

The room is not very big, but very clean and has a hot shower and cozy bed.

The location is not very central of the main area for the tourists, and I worried about it
just after arraived, but I even enjoyed it. You can go to the central by 'Share taxi'.
It's cool classic car and share it with Cuban local people. (It's so cheap!)
I could see the local life there, and I loved to take that taxi everyday.
(It's very easy to get the taxi. Armand, the owner will show you how to get it)

The most wonderful thing for this place is the owner couple. They are just so beautiful and have warm heart. I had great time with them and I really loved to sit with them at the terrace!!

They also have cute dogs and cat (name is Kawaii!!).

This is my favorite place in Cuba and I'm sure that I'm coming back!!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Seiko2109
ThayArmando, Propietario at La Colonial 1861, responded to this reviewResponded July 7, 2013

Dear friend Seiko

We mish you...and Kawaii too!!! He looks beautifull now and he always remember us to you.
Thank you so much to you....you are a really nice person and we know that we always have a friend in Japan.

Muchos besos de toda la familia!!

Reviewed June 21, 2013 via mobile

I did quite a bit of research before selecting La Colonial 1861 and I couldn't have made a better decision. The service we received was like staying with old friends. Armando and his family made our trip to Havana forever memorable. We really got to experience real Cuba. Our driver Fran was amazing and although he didn't speak much English and us not much Spanish, he showed us wonderful sights on a trip to vinales and we had the most amazing meal for a minimal amount of money. Armando's wife and mother-in-law made us excellent food.
I didn't want to leave and would not hesitate in recommending to stay here to anyone. Stay here and really experience all that Havana has to offer under the excellent guidance of Armando. So friendly, helpful and welcoming and really good value for money. The resident kitten is adorable. Can't remember his name except that it means "nice" in Japanese. Thank you La Colonial 1861. The big hotels could learn a lot from you. Rebekka and Mark x

• Stayed: June 2013
2  Thank Bekky1975
ThayArmando, Propietario at La Colonial 1861, responded to this reviewResponded June 23, 2013

Dear Rebekka and Mark

Thank you much!!!! Your review is very importat for us. We are very happy to know that you feel good with us and with our friend Frank too!! He is studing english right now...so next time it will be easier for both. Kawaii (our little cat) is right now with us....he is sleeping, very lazy!!!
We wish to see you again one day!!!

Muchos besos y abrazos de todo la familia!!