“Fantastic Casa with Helpful Hosts!”
Review of La Colonial 1861

La Colonial 1861
Ranked #15 of 711 Havana B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 28, 2013

I highly recommend La Colonial 1861 stay here if you can! It is a beautiful Casa only a short colectivo ride from central Havana. The rooms are comfortable and contain everything needed for a pleasant stay (I was particularly impressed by the hairdryer!). The common areas are very impressive, with antique furniture and plenty of photography books on Cuba and its people, it is a lovely place to relax out of the mid day sun. We had nice breakfast here too, fresh fruit, eggs and good coffee!

In the run up to our trip Armando was extremely helpful, answering my many questions promptly by email, despite limited internet access. A last minute change in our booking was no trouble either. On arrival he gave us an excellent overview of the area and explained how to get in to central Havana cheaply using colectivos. This was fantastic as it allowed us to experience real Cuban life and see the inside of some of the old American cars!

I would also recommend the transfer from the airport, it was excellent, a delay in our baggage meant we were quite late getting to arrivals but our driver was still there waiting. His 1942 Chevvy was a great way to get to the Casa...perfect on our first evening in Havana.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank SineadMc2013
ThayArmando, Propietario at La Colonial 1861, responded to this reviewResponded July 30, 2013

Dear Sinead

Thank you so much for your review. We feel very happy because you enjoyed your cuban trip and you was ok with us. We hope to see you very soon in La Habana.
You always have a house in Cuba. Say hi to Niamh !!

Un fuerte abrazo

Reviewed July 6, 2013

I stayed at La Colonial for 5nights in May.
Just after I came inside, I was really surprised that the place is very 'Stylish'.
(The owner has a great sense of interior!!)

The room is not very big, but very clean and has a hot shower and cozy bed.

The location is not very central of the main area for the tourists, and I worried about it
just after arraived, but I even enjoyed it. You can go to the central by 'Share taxi'.
It's cool classic car and share it with Cuban local people. (It's so cheap!)
I could see the local life there, and I loved to take that taxi everyday.
(It's very easy to get the taxi. Armand, the owner will show you how to get it)

The most wonderful thing for this place is the owner couple. They are just so beautiful and have warm heart. I had great time with them and I really loved to sit with them at the terrace!!

They also have cute dogs and cat (name is Kawaii!!).

This is my favorite place in Cuba and I'm sure that I'm coming back!!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Seiko2109
ThayArmando, Propietario at La Colonial 1861, responded to this reviewResponded July 7, 2013

Dear friend Seiko

We mish you...and Kawaii too!!! He looks beautifull now and he always remember us to you.
Thank you so much to you....you are a really nice person and we know that we always have a friend in Japan.

Muchos besos de toda la familia!!

Reviewed June 21, 2013 via mobile

I did quite a bit of research before selecting La Colonial 1861 and I couldn't have made a better decision. The service we received was like staying with old friends. Armando and his family made our trip to Havana forever memorable. We really got to experience real Cuba. Our driver Fran was amazing and although he didn't speak much English and us not much Spanish, he showed us wonderful sights on a trip to vinales and we had the most amazing meal for a minimal amount of money. Armando's wife and mother-in-law made us excellent food.
I didn't want to leave and would not hesitate in recommending to stay here to anyone. Stay here and really experience all that Havana has to offer under the excellent guidance of Armando. So friendly, helpful and welcoming and really good value for money. The resident kitten is adorable. Can't remember his name except that it means "nice" in Japanese. Thank you La Colonial 1861. The big hotels could learn a lot from you. Rebekka and Mark x

• Stayed: June 2013
2  Thank Bekky1975
ThayArmando, Propietario at La Colonial 1861, responded to this reviewResponded June 23, 2013

Dear Rebekka and Mark

Thank you much!!!! Your review is very importat for us. We are very happy to know that you feel good with us and with our friend Frank too!! He is studing english right now...so next time it will be easier for both. Kawaii (our little cat) is right now with us....he is sleeping, very lazy!!!
We wish to see you again one day!!!

Muchos besos y abrazos de todo la familia!!

Reviewed June 4, 2013

What I love about casas is that you get to know the people in casas. It's more than just a place to stay like a cold hotel. Thaymara & Armando are interesting people once you get to know them. Armando has lots of cool life stories and he knows so much about traveling in Cuba .I cant tell you if it is the best casa in Havana or not , and we all have different expectations and judgements. But la colonial 1861 is the one for me. The deep talk I had with Armando was inspiring. And everybody was just very nice. I definitely will go back again.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank Roy Z
ThayArmando, Propietario at La Colonial 1861, responded to this reviewResponded June 12, 2013

Dear friend Roy

Thank you so much for your review about us. We hope to see you soon in La Habana... I would like to talk more with you about life and dreams. You are a great person and we wish you all the best!!!

Un fuerte abrazo!!!

Reviewed May 22, 2013

La Colonial 1861 is the most beautiful casa I stayed during my trip in Cuba. I stayed here for 6 nights. The house is very beautiful and the room is spacious. The owner Armando is very nice and friendly. He speaks perfect English. He also have great connections and knowledge about Cuban art, cigar, and politics. For those who are interested in being a traveler not just a tourist, you can get a lot of useful information from Armando. He has a good tastes in selecting places to go in Havana (for restaurants, bars, clubs, and art). The place is well located and is walkable to a real Cuban neighborhood. It is also convenient to go to old town or new Havana by taxi. Overall, a nice and comfortable place to stay!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank I-Wen C
ThayArmando, Propietario at La Colonial 1861, responded to this reviewResponded May 22, 2013

Dear I-Wen

Thank you so much for everything!!! We enjoy a lot with you in La Colonial 1861...we attach your beautifull pics in our facebook. And we hope to see you soon in La Habana!! You must to organized atrip around Cuba!

Muchos besos!!!

Reviewed May 8, 2013

We stayed in La Colonial 1861 in early April for 2 nights and another night at the end of our fantastic travel in cuba before flying back again. Thay and Armando own a very nice cuban style house in beautiful Vedado quarter in Havanna. Taking some steps only from their home, you are allready facing the famous Malecón at the Waterfront of Havanna, where you may see the wonderful spindrift of the sea and hundereds of the famous old cars from the early last century ... and not to forget the wonderful dinners we had in one of the stylish cuban restaurants, which are in walking distance from their house, that played relaxing lounge music in the warm early summer nights ...

La Colonial 1861 offers four nice, clean and comfortable rooms. Although they are a little bit dark, as there is no window beside the small opening to the corridor, we felt very cosy. Breakfast was served in the spacious entrance with nice furniture and lots of modern art. It includes a large variety of carribean fruits, which not only Swiss use to enjoy very much. And if you travel by rental car - which we did - Armando offers also a parking for your car.

But the best is the hosts themselves. We were truly greatful for their kindness and practical help (as their indications for restaurants, car drivers, tipps for sight-seeing and, and, and). Armando even accompanied us to the police station after an incident we had, to help with translation from Spanish to English - thank you very much for this ... you saved our holliday!!! We will definitely come back to your place again, hopefuly for a longer time, and would absolutely recommend this place to everyone who is visiting to Havanna.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank GeorgesDornach
ThayArmando, Propietario at La Colonial 1861, responded to this reviewResponded May 10, 2013

Dear Georges and Irene

Thank you so much for your review. We feel very happy that you enjoy your cuban trip and we hope to see you again in La Habana. It was really for us too to share a few days with you.
You always have a place in Cuba and a friends too.

Un fuerte abrazo

Armando & Thay

Reviewed May 2, 2013

Thank you so much for our lovely stay in Havana. Although only a short stay, we were made to feel really welcome. The house is gorgeous and rooms really comfortable. The area is a great place to stay too. You can get to Havana Vieja in about 15 mins in a taxi or take your time and soak up the atmosphere as you walk along the Malacon (it was particularly spectacular to walk along as the storm rolled in).

Armando was super helpful in helping to arrange other accommodation in Cuba and airport transfers. Get in early, this place books up fast and with reason.

Hopefully we'll be back again...soon!

Gillian and Jason x

Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank gillyhenry
ThayArmando, Propietario at La Colonial 1861, responded to this reviewResponded May 3, 2013

Dear Gillian and Jason

Thank you so much for your review. It was very nice to share with you a few days in La Habana...but we´ll be waiting for you again, next time you must stay longer in La Colonial 1861.

Un fuerte abrazo de