“Excellent experience at La Casa del Son”
Review of La Casa del Son

La Casa del Son
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: La Casa del Son was created with the idea of having a space in the heart of Old Havana where the foreign visitors have the chance to learn, enjoy and improve their skills about our Cuban traditional dances like Danzon, son, cha-cha-cha, rumba, salsa, casino rueda and folklore. A colonial house from 1715 that has been recently restored and refurbished where we want our students to experience an atmosphere of art, music and dance.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Food available for purchase
Reviewed July 23, 2013

I cannot say enough about my wonderful experience at La Casa del Son. The teachers are serious about their passion, yet warm and fun-loving. I had salsa classes 2 hours per day for 5 days. By the end of the week, I felt that I had learned an incredible amount, but most importantly, I felt as though I was part of their family. This is a school of young, hard-working, energetic, professional and serious dancers. When I go back to Cuba, I will not bother looking for another school. I was fortunate and found the BEST school in Havana (Vieja). I HIGHLY recommend this school!

2  Thank Elaine R
in 7 reviews
"beginners"
in 9 reviews

Reviewed April 25, 2013

In March I took a Son class for a week with 2 hours daily. In my opinion Raymond is an excellent teacher, very professional and very precise in all technical matters. However, I also think he lacks didactic experience or was this just the way Cubans talk to each other? Every wrong step I did he commented with a sigh and rolling eyes: no me haga eso.. and the like. The more I lost my way the more he appeared to be annoyed. Unfortunately we seemed to have had some cultural misunderstandings although I am fluent in Spanish. I would have loved to continue the class for at least another week but not in such an atmosphere.

8  Thank vedado13
Reviewed April 23, 2013

A fantastic place to get to know Cuban dance, Music and Culture
Best of all the wonderful wholesome, hearty people who know their business.
Blessings to all at Le Casa del Son and Gratitude for the warm hospitality

2  Thank hunwijeaniehowarth
Reviewed March 12, 2013

I have met Silvia and Raimond last time I stayed in Havana (May 2012) and decided to take few classes to improve my salsa. But because I have been mostly dancing different stile before (LA - line), we have started with Cuban salsa from zero.

In only few classes I have learned many new moves (including basics of Son and Rumba), how to find the beat in the song, methods for improving the body flexibility... but the most important is that they helped me recognize and correct couple of major mistakes I have been doing before. It was just great to see the improvement with each class.
I could also practice salsa in the clubs with other students and instructors, enjoying the fun and crowd of the dance floor :-)
Also, I could rely on them for any kind of tourist information (how to reach places, where to find stuff, expected costs...)

This time in February, I took few more classes and was lucky to dance with the group who practiced "La rueda de casino". Experience was worth every penny, especially because my friends started noticing improvement in my dancing :-)

Everyone in La Casa, run by Silvia and Raimond are highly professional, excellent dancers, skillful and patient teachers. And I have learned they can be very good friends too :-)

Place itself is very cute, warm, friendly and tastefully arranged, with four separate classrooms.
From the heart, I can recommend La Casa Del Son to everyone, regardless the level of dancing skills.

2  Thank Smiley M
See more reviews
Reviewed February 17, 2013

I had a great experience with this Salsa dancing school in Havana Vieja, located in a beautifully renovated colonial style casa with nice patio.
I can highly recommend it to anyone who would like to learn to dance Salsa from Cubans and also who would like to improve their moves. The teachers are all very friendly and welcoming. But at the same time also very strict and professional which helps learning fast. They are very precize and correct you even in the smallest details. Thanks to them also for the great patience that they had!
Whenever you get the chance, try the classes at the Casa del Son! It is really worth it!

2  Thank Annika S