“Different”
Review of Parque John Lennon

Ranked #55 of 264 things to do in Havana
Reviewed April 16, 2014

Our Classic Cars driver brought us here as part of our afternoon tour. Simply amazing to have a John Lennon Park in Havana and a very good likeness.

The "Custodian of the Glasses" will place the glasses on "John" for an amazing photo opportunity, and he is always grateful for a small fee.

I would "imagine" that the park isn't easy to get to unless you have transport.

3  Thank r00m_with_a_view

Reviewed April 6, 2014

This memorial to John Lennon is amazing. It is simple and humble but really honors this truely great muscian in a unique way. It is a little out of the way but worth the visit. Be sure to read up on the history of this true to life image before going! Allow for about 15 mintues for the visit.

1  Thank vdoolittle
Reviewed February 26, 2014

Our wonderful tour guide told us that this park is named for John Lennon because in the days when Beatles music was prohibited in Cuba, young people would gather here to play and listen to music. We stopped here on Monday, on our way to the airport. What a wonderful last stop on an incredibly amazing 8-day visit. There was a well-attended tai chi class going on near the statue.

The man who tends the statue's glasses is 93 years old. I'd read that he wants money to put the glasses on, so you can take a picture with "John." I didn't see him approach anyone for money, but I did tip him before we left. I tried to have my picture taken sitting on John Lennon's lap, but the man came over and waved his hand for me to get up.

This park, the statue in particular, was on my list of things to do in our free time. I wasn't able to get there on my own, so I was elated by the surprise stop our tour bus made. Thank you, Jorge! :-)

4  Thank AmeliaAirheart
Reviewed February 15, 2014

Statues of Lenin, Arafat, Mother Theresa, others and John Lennon abound in this city. However, John Lennon's statue is missing his iconic glasses due to multiple thefts. However, there is an elderly gentleman who stands guard over Lennon and the glasses he is now wearing. When tourists stop by, the glasses are present, and when they leave, he takes the glasses home, to return the following day.

1  Thank dermgoddess
Reviewed September 7, 2013 via mobile

We stopped here when we were having an open top car ride and this was the best way...popped out, took some photos and headed back.

Unless you want a relaxing walk round the park it was a nice way to learn about the history but not walk there and spend ages there.

Again as in some of my other reviews, there is a guy who puts glasses on the statue for photos, then asks for a tip. We only gave a peso each time but still that seemed to amount when it happened about 5 times a day for things you didn't necessarily want.

On the other hand, the photo did look quite good with glasses on the statue so we didn't mind.