“Very good Cafe addition to the Malecon” 4 of 5 bubbles

Cafe Neruda
Ranked #4 of 8 Coffee & Tea in Havana
Cuisines: Caribbean, Latin, Cuban, Bar, Cafe, Spanish
Good for: Bar scene, Families with children, Kids
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Drinks, Dinner, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
London, United Kingdom
“Very good Cafe addition to the Malecon”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2014

Cafe Neruda is one of the new wave of private paladors and cafe’s which are springing up in Havana since the relaxing of the ownership laws and this is one of about half a dozen establishments that are new to the Malecon since my first visit a couple of years ago.
Personally I have mixed feelings on the architecture as this is a modern build and as previously mentioned takes its decor from one of Pablo Neruda's house’s in Chile. It would be good if they could rebuild to the old Spanish colonial style on the Malecon, but if the old building has gone past saving then I can appreciate it is lower cost to build from scratch.
Anyway, my personal architectural preferences aside, this place works very well as a comfortable cafe. Firstly it is about middle of the Malecon section from Habana Vieja to the Nacional. Secondly it gives good views of the Malecon and the sea, either from the couple of pavement tables or from the shelter of the set back al fresco cafe section behind the glass wall, most of which is under roof shelter or large umbrellas. And most importantly the food and drinks are good and very reasonably priced.
We had one of the Pork main meals to share , two beers and two coffees and it can to around 12CUC’s. And the most expensive menu option was the lobster tail and shrimp at 10CUC’s.
Service was good and it seemed to be popular with both tourists and locals.

• Visited January 2014
1 Thank Steve_of_N21

• Czech first
  • Finnish first
Calgary, Canada
“Great food, location and price!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2013

We recently had a shared "seafood dinner" on the patio overlooking the ocean and Malecon. Besides the lobster, shrimp, red snapper it also came with rice, beans & rice, salad and fried bananas. Add two local beers and a pina colada for a grand total of $22.50! It was way more than the two of us could even finish. I am just sorry that our travels did not take us by there again as we would definitely have had a repeat meal!

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank M C
Bucharest, Romania
“nice place to eat”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2013

A nice place for a coffee, some cocktails and some nice shrimps or langusta right on Malecon, beautiful view of the sunset. Prices very friendly, cocktails were cheap and the shrimps very tasty...

• Visited May 2013
Greenville, North Carolina
“Great spot”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2012

The view from this place over the Malecon is beautiful. The wait staff is incredibly friendly, this quickly became our favorite spot for a drink. At one point a giant piece of fish was brought out to show us that it had just came in, and we quickly ordered it and were delivered a beautiful meal of fish, frenchfries, salad, and rice. That was my only eating experience there but the drinks and great service made for a great spot.

• Visited July 2012
1 Thank Erin G
Toronto
“Different ambiance and nice view of the sea.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2012

I tried to walk on the Malecon from end to end but couldn't because I started when the sun was already high. It was almost noon and the heat was unbearable. I had to rest and luckily I was able to make it to Cafe Neruda. It was very attractive with its unique (in Cuba) architecture that I realized later was modelled from Neruda's house in Valparaiso. The blue accents of the decor matched the colour of the sea. It was very refreshing and restful. There was a small aviary and a tree in the patio. The Menu was well-designed and poetic. And yes, there was Chilean empanada on the menu. At first I was told that there wasn't any available so I ordered a sandwich but later the wait staff said that empanadas were ready and if I wanted some. I was already full so I ordered a take-out. In Cuba, they don't have take-out containers (I actually thought that next trip, I'll bring a box of Ziploc freezer bags and a lunch bag) but they were very accommodating and so I had a styrofoam box for the empanadas that didn't close. But I still would like to recommend this Cafe - give it some time and it will meet your expectations. That area is becoming very trendy. Lots of construction and renovations going on. Nice to have a refuge from the heat and humidity and some fodder to last to the Hotel Nacional.

• Visited March 2012