TripAdvisor
Havana
Post
Inbox
Search
All reviews old havana the main house a lovely place to stay central havana large bathroom bed and breakfast visit cuba amazing hosts breakfast was delicious each morning casa particular lovely casa air conditioning fresh fruit recommend this casa julia bottega
Selected filters
Reviewed January 16, 2016

I stumbled across this place when planning my second trip to Cuba and as soon as I saw it I HAD to stay here. I sent a reservation request and received a response the next day, and confirmed my booking as there was only 1 room left ~ the extra superior suite with a king size bed ~ I'll take it!!! At the time it was just me travelling and I figured I was allowed to spoil myself for 2 nights! I ended up meeting up with a friend, so I shared the room, but still felt spoiled, because it was so beautiful! We were greeted at the front and doormen brought our backpacks down to our suite and we were given a tour of the house and then brought down to the kitchen area for some refreshing juice. We were shown a map of the area and also a few restaurants close by we could walk to if we wanted. All the staff there were wonderful and very helpful. Julia is an absolute sweetheart and it was so nice to talk to her and hear how she and her family acquired this house and all the work they have put into it. Our room was so gorgeous, clean and had a very modern bathroom, comfortable bed and air conditioning. The breakfasts were delicious and different every day. One day there was some kind of coconut tart pie served with breakfast that was my favorite! I wanted to buy a whole tray of them to eat! Lunch was very good as well. The area is not very touristy which I love, nice to be away from the crowds and mingle with the locals. A quick taxi ride and you can be in Habana Vieja in no time. I honestly did not want to leave this place, and will be back again! This is truly a 10 out of 10 star bed and breakfast!

Room tip: I imagine there is not a bad room in this house!
Date of stay: December 2015
  • Trip type: Traveled with friends
Silvio O, Owner at La Rosa de Ortega, responded to this reviewResponded January 27, 2016

Hello PrettyWahine,
How are you?
Thank you so much for this special review.
It´s really good to know that you had a pleasent stay with us, and that it was hard, for you, leave our B&B. For us, was a pleasure be your hosts.
Return whenever you want, you are going to be always welcome in La Rosa de Ortega.
Best regards from Cuba,

Reviewed January 9, 2016

What a place! We (6 adults and 2 children) spent 5 nights in the beginning of our trip here (and the last night before going home). A perfect place especially for the children, with a nice and quiet garden, pool, a parrot, fishes and a splendid view over the city.
The rooms where really, really good as well as the breakfast (cocos marmalade, mmm)
The location, 15 min with taxi (7cuc) from Habana Vieja, is both good and bad.

Thanks Paula (and crew) for a very good stay! We'll be back!
Birgitta and Johnny with family.

Silvio O, Owner at La Rosa de Ortega, responded to this reviewResponded January 15, 2016

Hello bengtsgard,
How are you? How are children?
We would like to thank you for your preference and for sharing your opinion with us and TripAdvisor community.
For us was a very special oportunity be your hosts in Havana, because you are a beautiful family!
We look forward to welcome you newly in the near future.
A big hug from Cuba and our best wishes for all the family in the new year.

Reviewed January 5, 2016

We stayed here two nights at the beginning of our Cuba trip and it was the best stay throughout our time in Cuba. Silvio and Julia are great casa owners, as they were very responsive and helped arrange our last-minute airport pickup.

Their casa was marvellous: clean, modern, and well-appointed. We stayed in the relatively small room, but it was still spacious. Sheets were clean and it had one of the best bathrooms during our time in Cuba! Breakfast was such a delight, and it changes every day. Staff were over all friendly and helpful, yet we unfortunately could not communicate with the staff we had on the days we were there very effectively since she did not speak much English. Luckily we finally met Julia on the last day when we checked out so we still managed to make some last-minute arrangements.

The only (if at all) drawback of this place was its location. It is in the "10 de Octubre" borough, which is slightly out of town (~15 taxi ride to old town vieja, costing 7-8 CUC, not far distance-wise by most cities' standard). There is not much to see in the neighborhood per se, but the casa itself was very well appointed and exclusive enough.

We definitely thoroughly enjoyed our stay here and always appreciated coming back to this little hidden gem in the rustic neighborhood after a long day out every night. It was the best casa we have stayed throughout our whole trip in Cuba. No wonder is this place featured on the Vogue list, and (despite the location) we would definitely consider this place again.

Date of stay: December 2015
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
1  Thank Schwarzerstein

Hello Schwarzerstein,
How are you?
We appreciate a lot your preference, opinion and recommendation to the TripAdvisor community.
It´s really good to know that we went the most pleasant experience for you in Cuba.
We lend special attention to the recommendations of our customers, therefore, we will work to strengthen the English in our staff, thanks for your recommendation.
We hope to have the pleasure to give you again the welcoming in our house, that is your home.
A big hug from Cuba and our best wishes for you in the new year.

Reviewed December 29, 2015

My family and I spent just under 2 weeks at La Rosa in November 2015. We stayed in the family suite which was plenty of room for the four of us and really very lovely. We enjoyed breakfast every morning - this varied day by day and was always of a great standard. The staff at La Rosa are all extremely polite and attentive - nothing was too much trouble. They helped us organise day trips and book restaurants which made for an incredibly relaxing holiday.
Highly recommend!

Date of stay: November 2015
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
1  Thank getawaytime123

Hello getawaytime123,
How are you? How is the family?
It´s really good to know that you lived a pleasant stay in La Rosa de Ortega.
We hope to have the honor, very soon, to be your hosts newly in Havana.
Best regards from Cuba and our best wishes for all the family

Reviewed December 21, 2015

Silvio and Julia did whatever they could to make our stay as convenient as possible. Our suite was just breathtaking and it even exceeded our expecations although we couldn't get the one with a jacuzzi included but never mind.
The pool area was under construction at the time of our stay but we didn't care about that, the pool itself was clean and that counted for us.
Even though it had a small gym allocated, I was a bit disappointed about the devices, they had some corrosion and certainly need an update!
The entire stuff was absolutely friendly and the breakfast simply delicious with daily fresh fruits and scrambled eggs. By the way I hardly recommend to try the coconut yam, it's amazing!

Our overall impression was good, it's a really nice location with a great view to Havanna.
We especially appreciated the private atmosphere overthere, it was exactely the thing we needed at that time to recover from our ordinary lifestyle.

Special thanks to Silvio and Julia who made this possible.

We hope seeing each other once again!

Besos

Simon y Rosa

Room tip: The suite close to the pool area is really recommendable, it is divided into two floors and has plenty of space for a couple like us!
Date of stay: October 2015