TripAdvisor
Havana
Post
Inbox
Search
All reviews old havana the main house a lovely place to stay central havana large bathroom bed and breakfast visit cuba amazing hosts breakfast was delicious each morning casa particular lovely casa air conditioning fresh fruit recommend this casa julia bottega
Selected filters
Reviewed October 17, 2015 via mobile

We stayed in a superior double room at La Rosa de Ortega and it was absolutely worth it. We were so impressed that we came back to stay at the end of our holiday as well. The staff could not have been more helpful- ordering taxis and awake to let us in during the small hours of the morning. Cuban food is not the best at all but La Rosa de Ortega's breakfast was amazing. The hotel is not in the city centre but the cheap price of taxis makes it worth the journey (10minutes drive). The building is beautifully built with a swimming pool and the rooms are very modern. We were even lucky enough to have a jacuzzi for our original stay. We did pay the extra for a superior room so cannot comment on the smaller rooms. Overall best room, food and staff we met in Cuba.

Date of stay: July 2015
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
3  Thank cmcshane1
Reviewed September 27, 2015

Wanted to experience real Cuban hospitality and this is not what you can find everyday. if you want an affordable place to relax, La Rosa the Ortega is the right one . the view of Havana vieja, the friendly staff, excellent services,clean and comfortable rooms, is what makes this place unique. I truly suggest this place .

Date of stay: July 2015
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
1  Thank Arisney Q
Reviewed September 15, 2015

The rooms are nice and clean, the staff is friendly and breakfasts are tasty for Cuban standards. The only thing that isn't perfect is the location. Make sure to take La Rosa de Ortega's info card which you can show to the Taxi drivers to find the way home.

Date of stay: March 2015
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
2  Thank Luka P
Reviewed September 9, 2015

I was in Cuba for meetings and to organize auditions with Cuban performers. I had many meetings all day during the month of September ... hard work ... but everytime I came back to la casa D'ortega was a nice moment of relaxation. Nice areas outside under the Gazebo to eat or to work or read ... you can use the brand new GYM anytime of the day, the beautiful pool and they can also organize salsa class right beside the pool if you want to learn a bit of this beautiful Carabeen dance !!! This place is amazing, the owners are fantastic and they have created un havre de paix exceptionnel !!! I would suggest this place to everyones !!! Marie-Josee Levesque from Montreal, Canada

Room tip: Green room upstair with balcony amazing and suite room downstair with jacouzi and small kitchen amazing also.
Date of stay: September 2015
  • Trip type: Traveled on business
3  Thank Levesque M
Reviewed September 3, 2015 via mobile

The piles of terracotta tiles stacked up high against the low walls that surround the property. The pristine outdoor toilet handily located between the sparking pool and the little outdoor bar. The fresh mint grown in an abandoned ceramic sink which flavours our not-so-sporadic mojitos. The thoughtful touches such as an umbrella outside our upgraded room when rain threatens. The rethinking of old materials so common to Havana, represented by the base of my bedside table...a little old black sewing machine. The sprawling trees with the ubiquitous red flowers which protect some of our sensitive Scottish skin from the unforgiving Cuban sun. The family dog, Brenda, who merges sleepy siestas with on-guard nighttime protection when we buzz for entry after exploring the ramshackle streets below the house. The view of Havana Vieja from the terrace, where we can see our first hotel, the Nacional, in very distant view, like the castle in Narnia, a historic landmark next to the Malceon, a place I am glad to be looking at from afar. The hotchpotch of delapidated houses and once-upon-a-time mansions, covered in part by technicolor dreamcoats of washing, buzzing with mothers shouting to tiny children to come into the shade. We are on holiday proper here. No-one bothers us, unless we want them to. Sashi can be radioed when my school Spanish fails to conjur up anything more than dos mojitos, nothing is too much trouble. Breakfast is served seamlessly...fresh fried eggs with warm brioche buns, strong Cuban coffee which I dip my sugary biscuits into, natural yogurt with a platter of local fruit. I ask where the papaya jam comes from. "We make it" says Sashi, as if, obviously we do...this is Cuba. Coming from the Cayman Islands where almost everything I eat is imported, my body delights in the local produce, and attention to detail. As an obsessive cleaner, I try and fail to find cut corners. Alas, La Rosa sparkles, in every way possible. We leave with heavy hearts, to genuine hugs from Julia and her wonderful staff, and a jar of the mind-blowing jam to take home. If you don't hear from me for a few days, you can guarantee I will be here, revelling in lack of internet and great sleeps, lying by the pool, with one hand in the water and the other clutching a drink, having travelled 45 minutes by plane and 50 years in spirit.

Date of stay: August 2015