“A Great Meal with a padded check”
Review of Paladar Los Amigos

Paladar Los Amigos
Ranked #273 of 821 Restaurants in Havana
Cuisines: Cuban
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed May 16, 2012

I've known this restaurant for a long time. In 2005, when I first started going to Havana, this would be close to the apartments I would rent. When I lived in Havana, this place would be one of my main dining options.

This last visit, my friend and I went and had a nice meal. Our check was 19cuc, the bill came and totaled 26cuc. I called the waiter over to ask what the 7cuc item was, he said it was a service charge. I told him to take it off, as we had no intention of paying it. He explained that we were "yumas" and we should pay it. He actually used the word "Yuma". A derogatory word for foreigner.

We left 20cuc and left. What a shame...

Reviewed February 20, 2012

We went back to this old favourite, This time we went for a last lunch at 2.30pm which saved cueing. The atmosphere is friendly and it really feels like eating in the living room of a family house. We had an excelelnt traditional Cuban meal of Roast chicken rise and beans and black bean soup which was the best meal we had on this Cuban trip. Prices were reasonable

Reviewed February 8, 2012

I visited Havana, inspired by the celebrity chef, Anthony Bourdain's episode of Havana. Paladar Los Amigos was a part of the show, which Bourdain seem enjoyed the food of. So I went there and they were as good as I had imagined. I had a pork dish with rice and beans. I think the rice was cooked with pork lard - or whatever it was, it was very tasty (not greasey). My husband had a roast chicken, which was very good as well.

Very good service, homey atmosphere, and a reasonable price (8 cuc average). In Bourdain's show, there was a long lineup, but I didn't have to lineup maybe because I went at an odd hour (3pm). One thing I have to note is the washroom - I couldn't say it was clean, so be sure to go (especially if you are woman) somewhere else, or be prepared. Bring a wipe and some toilet paper.

1  Thank aquatomato
Reviewed February 8, 2012

We spent our first night in Havana on the terrace at the Nacional and wanted to stay close for dinner. Paladar Los Amigos is 3 blocks away. We arrived around 6 ish and didn't have to wait for a table. When we left around 7:30 there were lots of people waiting.

The 4 of us had the following mains:

-2 Pork fricase in tomato sauce
-Carne (pork) Asada
-Fish filet.

The pork fricase was my favorite but it wasn't hot enough. Both the fish and roast pork were good - I would order everything again.

Service was good, la quenta was reasonable but I can't remember how much. Our mains were about $8 each.

I'd recommend this place for good cheap food.

Reviewed November 21, 2011

We ate here 4x in two days if that says anything! I loved the neapolitan spaghetti. Kinda funny I wanted to eat here b/c Anthony Bourdain did but I didn't get the name and address of the paladar before I left for Cuba. Turns out that a Cuban friend had recommended this place before I left without knowing that it was the place I wanted to try. I realized where I was when we walked up and the owner lady was sitting there, haha! And to add to it, it was just across the street from Hotel Victoria where my dad and I happened to be staying! Great food, atmosphere and people!