“Glamour of days gone by.”

Hotel Mercure Sevilla Havane
Ranked #7 of 80 Hotels in Havana
Reviewed November 23, 2013

We lost two nights in Havana because of missed flights. It did not spoil our time there when we arrived. We were too tired to go out because of indirect flights so we stayed in and ate in their restaurant on the ninth floor. The food was a delight and the views over Havana was a sight to behold from the restaurant. Our room was clean and tidy. We had a problem with the shower, we could not turn it off after use. So we called maintenance and in no time the problem was solved. Pity we could not stay there longer. The musicians was superb in the reception area and after tried to sell their cd to us. You will be hassled by vendors outside. Be firm but courteous and they will leave you alone. We would definitely stay at the Mercure Sevilla again just to admire the fascinating Art Deco from a bygone era.

• Stayed: November 2013
3  Thank Paul E
Eric P, Director General at Hotel Mercure Sevilla Havane, responded to this reviewResponded December 2, 2013

Thank you very much ! Your comment makes motivate us to improve our Service which we will continue to offer to all new guests who will give us the opportunity to welcome them during their next vacations in our hotel.
We are very concern, on a daily basis, with the training and preparation program of our employees to improve our services and standards in general, taking into advantage the Caribbean hospitality.
We can assure you that this issue is our highest priority commitment, in order to meet our guests expectations.

Reviewed November 22, 2013

The hotel is a historic bulding in La Haabana, very close to the Habana Vieja, the old part of the town. Its clean and confortable, but it´s old. The restaurant is bad and expensiv. The people at the desk are not the most polited, but its ok

Room Tip: Try a room with the old city view
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank Marcos S
Sylvain C, Director General at Hotel Mercure Sevilla Havane, responded to this reviewResponded May 13, 2017

Hello,
I'm the new General Manager of the Mercure Sevilla since February 2016, if you plan to return to the Mercure Sevilla, please feel free to contact me directly.

Reviewed November 20, 2013

My wife and I spent 4 nights at the Hotel Sevilla and generally enjoyed our stay, however do not expect 5 star luxury. This is a lovely old hotel, lost in time with a romantic feel about it. The room was cleaned every day and though other guests have reported noise from the various house bands, even though we were on the 2nd floor, we didn't find it particularly intrusive. While talking about the bands, they seems to have arrangement where after every three songs they will try to sell you their music CDs and ask for tips from the guests....this gets a little annoying after a while, particularly if you just want to have lunch and enjoy the music, and a little cheap considering the entertainment should be provided free. The service for the staff was varied, everything from friendly and helpful to sullen and surly. I think some of the male serving staff were under the impression that we were a general inconvenience really....unless you tipped generously then you may get the occasion smile. Talking of tipping, be prepared with lots of small change as money in Havana will be extorted off you at every turn...you will be a walking dollar sign to locals, accept it, and your stay will be more pleasant. The food at the hotel was very basic and uninspiring, limited choice, and with zero frills. The breakfast selection was 'interesting', black sausage seems to be a local delicacy in Cuba and was served every day, along with spaghetti, rice, runny scrambled egg, fruit, and bread. Coffee was good and they did make omelette to order. The bar selection was limited and only local drinks could be bought.....one thing I would advise....do not have ice in your drinks! Both myself and my wife suffered from diarrhoea after having Mojitos in the bar...we could only put this down to the ice....or the Mojitos, avoid both and you should be ok! There is a small parade of shops within the hotel which sold some toiletries, cigars and clothing etc. The restaurant on the 8th floor was good actually. We enjoyed a couple of meals there and entertainment in the form of opera and ballet was provided free of charge, which was lovely and it has a great view over the city. If you look at the hotel in the context of Havana, it is one of the best on offer. In any other city in the world it would be 2-3 star, and all services are in the order of that quality. I would recommend it, though it does come with a health warning.

Room Tip: No room service....we stayed on the second floor which was fine.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank grant s

Reviewed November 18, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for just one night, we arrived pretty late, so we decided to stay better at a hotel rather than a casa, besides the car rental office was right at the hotel. For us, it was just a stop and go, however we wouldn't have stayed any longer. The first issue was getting a non smoking room, they should have just pointed out that in this hotel you can smoke in all areas (good if you are a smoker). Then, getting to the room you think, ok it looks old but nice. However, the toilet did not work properly and the sink was clogged. The best was yet to come, there was some loud machinery noise every 5 min or so, I think it was an AC, but it just kept going on and off the entire night. Luckily we were so tired that we fell asleep. Breakfast, however, was ok. However, I wouldn't stay here for more than a night and for the price you are way better of staying in a casa. And another issue, is that they do not warn you ( or at least remind you) of the people trying to reap you off in the streets, you are just another guest to them, the morning after it just took 10 min for a so called hotel employee to come up to us and take us to buy cheap cigars. So, be careful.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Dave_HMX
Eric P, Director General at Hotel Mercure Sevilla Havane, responded to this reviewResponded November 27, 2013

Reviewed November 18, 2013

Great city centre location, good service throughout our stay, food was good and the top floor restaurant served one of the best lobster dishes I've ever eaten. Pool was well hidden from the public and the receptionists were very welcoming and helpful when needed.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Andy H
Eric P, Director General at Hotel Mercure Sevilla Havane, responded to this reviewResponded November 19, 2013

Thank you very much ! Your comment makes us happy and motivate us to improve our Service which we will continue to offer to all new guests who will give us the opportunity to welcome them during their next vacations in our hotel.

Reviewed November 14, 2013

We stayed here for 4 nights in total at the front and back end of our holiday. The hotel is old but that is part of its charm. Rooms are clean if not that big and all amenities worked, apart from the toilet which wouldn't flush properly.

The hotel has a lot of history and was used by the mafia in the 20's as the pictures of Al Capone and Lucky Luciano on the walls remind you.

Definitely stay here again

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Verngeo

Reviewed November 12, 2013

I will be blunt here – this has to be the worst hotel (or more specifically the room) I have ever stayed in and I have been to many many different countries and hotels in the last 25 years. It possibly didn’t help that our flight from Holguin airport to Havana was delayed 4 hours which meant we arrived around 3am and perhaps this was the only room left, but I somehow doubt it. Upon entering the room there was an overwhelming smell of dampness. However, being so late and being our final night of a 13 day trip we decided to just get some sleep, but I wish we hadn’t. The bed smelt disgusting – I am not sure if this was the actual bed or because the sheets were either dirty or had also been stored in a damp environment (although we did have to pick of some dirt from the sheets). Goodness knows what was over the mattress – it felt like a plastic sheet, but in all honesty I was actually too scared to look in case I was horrified to what I may find. Safe to say there was not much sleeping done on our final night. The furniture must have been at least 30 or 40 years old. It was almost impossible to have a shower as the ‘shower door’ at the side of the bath would not stay in place so you had to use one hand to keep it in place. The view when you opened the curtains was horrendous. The only decent thing in the room was a rather new looking flat screen TV. Not that we planned to hang around in the morning to watch it, but it didn’t work for whatever reason anyway. The room is not fit for purpose and if I was offered the option now I think I would prefer to sleep on the lobby floor than go back to that room. The room number is ironically 101 which is where it should definitely be consigned to.

Breakfast was basic and unfortunately I didn't really fancy spaghetti that morning.

Curiously, Reception chose not to ask how our stay was when we checked out. I think they probably knew what the answer would be and I left it at that.

It should be said though that the porters were very nice who looked after our cases until our departure later that afternoon.

Room Tip: Run for a mile if you get allocated Room 101
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple