“Basic, comfortable colonial property in Old Havana”

and 1 more site!
Hotel Conde de Villanueva
Ranked #30 of 79 Hotels in Havana
London, United Kingdom
“Basic, comfortable colonial property in Old Havana”
Reviewed January 17, 2013

This was my first stay in Cuba. Despite a late arrival at Havana airport, the staff at the front desk were attentive and quick. Luggage was taken up to the room, which was around a delightful colonial atrium. The room was spacious with a high ceiling, and there was a clean bathroom with shower as well as television and a fridge/mini bar. There is also a room safe which is extremely useful. Security staff on the door was also a plus, and they will change money at the hotel desk if you don't want to queue at CADECA.

There is a wake-up call from the delightful peacock and peahen who have happily taken residence in the courtyard, as well as several chickens. Breakfast is sufficient - coffee, freshly sliced fruit, bread, butter, conserves and an omelette. That's all you really need, although fruit juice or water would have been a bonus.

The internal atrium/courtyard and its vegetation is a real draw because whether it is morning or evening, it is beautifully kept and looks fantastic. Opening the room door to a bright blue sky shining in from the courtyard is amazing in the morning. You could spend a lot more elsewhere and get little extra for your money, so it proved a great base in Old Havana!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
  • Finnish first
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 17, 2013

My friend and I stayed in Hostal Conde de Villanueva to end our amazing trip to Cuba and, boy, were we disappointed. We'd stayed in so many lovely casas along the way, with welcoming families and surprisingly good food. Based on other reviews of Hostal Conde de Villanueva, including the Lonely Planet recommendations, we had high hopes. We were wrong.

Granted, it's a great location and lovely building. But the staff were erratic, rude and rarely available. And it felt they were perpetually trying to squeeze money out of us at every opportunity (e.g. 11 CUCs for two bottles of water, being charged 3 CUCs just to leave our bags at reception for a couple of hours, etc.).

But worst of us, on the morning we left they filled our room with anti-mosquito pesticide while we were still sleeping without telling us! The only apology we received was from the maid. The rest of the staff didn't want to know. Absolutely disgraceful.

I very rarely write reviews but have been left incensed by my stay here. I'd really recommend that others go elsewhere - to one of the enumerate and much better value private casas around Havana, for example.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
ComercialHCV, Director Comercial at Hotel Conde de Villanueva, responded to this review, August 10, 2013
Dear Mr. Tom

Thanks for your opinion.
Your comments, it helps us to exert ourselves and be every day our work better.

Regards,

Commercial Manager

Travelers are raving about these Havana hotels

Calgary, Canada
Reviewed December 8, 2012

I've probably stayed at the Conde de Villanueva 6 or 7 times now, and I enjoy it each time more. Now, even though I've rated it Excellent, there are some problems -- this is Havana, no matter what hotel you stay in there are going to be little things that go wrong, whether it's a big Euro chain or a small Habaguanex property. I find that the biggest drawbacks are the small cosmetic issues: some tiles might be chipped, some paint might not look the freshest, etc, and really I've never found that it negatively impacts my vacation. Some of the newer Habaguanex properties might look a bit fresher, and have nicer TVs, but you could put two or those rooms in a room the size of what you get at this hotel.

The most important thing about the Conde de Villanueva is, of course, the caring and dedicated staff. From the manager to the chambermaids and bartenders, I think everyone who works there has gone above and beyond the call of duty for me at least once, whether it's making sure I have a cigar in my hand first thing in the morning when I've arrived on a late-night flight (or coming to meet me in Varadero when I fly into that airport instead), letting me order one more bottle of Bucanero when the bar is closed late at night. I've left cameras, phones, and anything else you can think of apart from passport and money in the room without being locked up, and I've never had so much as a single sock go missing, which I'm led to believe is not something you can do just anywhere in Cuba.

Some other reviewers have already mentioned good advice: if noise disturbs you, bring earplugs, because the peacock and rooster are still alive and well. I would advise to get a room which doesn't front onto the street, so you won't be disturbed by water delivery trucks. Also, as another reviewer mentioned, just go to Plaza San Francisco when arriving in a taxi (from the airport or elsewhere). Unless you have tons of luggage, it will be much faster and easier than having the taxi driver drive through the narrow cobblestone streets of Old Havana.

I would also extend a word of warning to potential guests: you may be tempted to change money at the CADECA on Plaza San Francisco because it's closer than the one on Obispo. Walk the extra few blocks: the CADECA on Plaza San Francisco has shorted me a few bills on occasion, the hours are worse, and they're less likely to have large denominations.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
4 Thank Andrew898
ComercialHCV, Director Comercial at Hotel Conde de Villanueva, responded to this review, January 4, 2016
Dear Client:

Thank you very much for your kind opinion. It was a pleasure for us to serving you.

Happy and prosperous 2016 !!!!!

Best regards.
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Reviewed November 28, 2012

I started visiting this hotel years ago because its Casa del Habanos had a good reputation. I don't smoke many cigars these days because I usually have a camera stuck to my face and a cigar deserves a little more contemplation and quiet appreciation.

That being said, Hostal Conde de Villanueva is an institution in Havana with a rich past. It is wonderful refuge from the heat, and often mediocrity, one endures wandering the streets of Vieja...especially in summer months. The pink exterior isn't much to look at but the interior is a classic (and famous) Havana mansion converted into a hotel.

The staff can best be charitably described as 'distant'.
Given the number of well practiced false smiles in Cuba,
I choose to look at this as 'honest and a bit jaded'.

There is a good bar and restaurant here and I will continue to stop in if I am near Calle Mercaderes.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank RobinThom
ComercialHCV, Director Comercial at Hotel Conde de Villanueva, responded to this review, April 16, 2016
Dear Guest:

Grateful for your kind review and we want to share with you again.

Best regards
San Diego
Reviewed November 16, 2012

There's a lot to love here. The beautifully restored building, the terrific location, good breakfasts, huge rooms and comfortable beds. We stayed here our first two nights in Cuba, and it was a terrific introduction. Two small warnings: the hotel is located within the pedestrian-only section of the old city, and our taxi driver didn't really understand where it was. It would have been better to tell him we wanted to go to the Plaza San Francisco de Asis. From there, the hotel is only two blocks away, and I think porters would leap to help arrivals. That help shouldn't cost more than a few non-convertible centavos (NOT CUCs). (Our driver took us to the Plaza de las Armas. Much farther. And the porter who helped us grossly ripped us off.) The other tiny caveat is that the hostal's resident rooster and peacock start squawking early. Earplugs helped.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank SleeplessinSD
Pedmore, null, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 3, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here for 7 nights September 2012. Once arrived the man behind the desk was very helpful and friendly and ensured I settled in ok.

The room with its 12 foot door in green and white alongside the high ceiling was a real gem within this colonial mansion. The furnishings blended in nicely and even the bed quilt complemented the rest of the room. The bathroom was pleasant and I was impressed with the black floor tiling, however there is no door on the shower so you end up flooding the bathroom. My advice is to sit down.

Overall the cleanliness of the room was pretty good although the cleaner doesn't have much attention to detail. Cleaner is quite pushy for a tip.

The courtyard with its pleasant plants, chickens, peacock and house cat added some magic to this hotel that you can't get anywhere else.

Hotel staff work hard and are very pleasant. I made sure I left them plenty tips. I don't think the security guard appreciated me knocking the door at 2am when I stumbled in from a night out!

Breakfast was nice however the bread is a little dry. The eggs and bacon are lovely.

The location is ideal as its in the wonderfully restored old Havana with its cobbled streets and architecture. Close to many attractions including the Chocolate Cafe, Malecon, San Rafael Cathedral and around 15 mins walk to Parque Central. Many shops including a bank, cafe, supermarket and smoking shops all within vicinity.

My minor gripes of this hotel were the room was a little on the dark side and a Buffett breakfast would of been to more people's liking.

Overall this hotel is fantastic not luxury like a modern 5 star with the latest technology and comfort but a piece of colonial history and architecture you appreciate staying in.

• Stayed September 2012
3 Thank Stephen R
Dear Client:

Happy and prosperous 2016 !!!!!

Best regards.
London
Reviewed July 13, 2012

This hotel is brilliantly located in the heart of Havana old town. It is situated in lovely converted colonial house with pretty court yard. Rooms are spacious and comfortable. Staff are nice, friendly and even helpful! Breakfast was good too. We eat in the restaurant too which was disappointing. Although this was our first meal in Cuba and perhaps we would have had a better food if we had sampled the mediocre we had elsewhere. I would highly recommend this place and it will not cost the earth!

Room Tip: We stayed in the Vegas Trinidad suite. It was great!