“Helpful hosts and well equipped, clean rooms” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hostal Peregrino

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Havana
Hostal Peregrino
Ranked #7 of 250 Specialty Lodging in Havana
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Helpful hosts and well equipped, clean rooms”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2014

We stayed at Hostal Peregrino for four nights at the beginning of our trip to Cuba and came back for a further three at the end. Elsa and Julio are excellent, english speaking hosts who will try to help with anything their guests need including advice about Havana, organising day trips or onward travel. The rooms were well equipped and clean and the breakfast very good. We also met a lot of friendly fellow travellers whilst staying here. We found it especially useful staying at the Hostal for the beginning of the trip due to the hosts' knowledge and experience and help booking accomodation in other locations. Highly reccomended, would definitely stay again.

• Stayed February 2014
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2014

We booked two nights at Hostal Peregrino for when we first arrived in Cuba. The hosts Julio and Elsa were very helpful, assisting us organise a day trip to Viñales as well as bus tickets and accommodation in Trinidad.

We stayed at the self contained apartment, which is just a few doors away from the main Consulado hostal. It was clean and comfortable.

In terms of location, it is slightly out of the main tourist area - about a ten minute or so walk to the old town. We always felt safe in the area, although we did get bugged by the jineteros around Paseo del Prado.

Hostal Peregrino is a bit more expensive than some other casas in the area, but for us it was worth it. Julio was an enormous help when we first arrived, answering our multitude of questions (in English, given our very poor Spanish). It was a great first stop for our travels in Cuba.

Stockholm, Sweden
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2014

Hostal Peregrino has three guesthouses, we stayed at El Encinar in Habana Vieja where we had the bad luck to get the smallest (but also cheapest) room. That was rather a disappointment as the size of the room (i estimate it 6 sqm) made it impossible for us (2 persons) to be in the room at the same time while awake. Apart from that everything was very well organized, breakfast was good and we could get help, info and tips about everything we asked. Dinner was just great. Elsa and Julio can arrange transport to other towns/cities for quite good prices, but one can arrange it on his own through direct contact with taxi-drivers for low prices too. The hosts have also a list with casa particulares in other cities where they can book for you before you leave for your next destination. We went to their recommended casa in Vinales, but it was just average, and after that we continued by choosing ourselves. Overall, the service was great and very professional, the rooms nice and very clean, and with a house-keeper present 24/7 which let us feel very safe, but it was far from our expectation of a family-house with personal contact and closer view of Cuban everyday life. But if you are looking for hotel-like standard of good quality in fair price, the place is just great.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Ioannaki
Durham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2014 via mobile

We were located in Chacon where the rooms were comfortable and clean with ensuite toilet and shower. Elsa and Julio are friendly, helpful and professional. Happy to help and offer suggestions to make your stay in Havava and indeed Cuba a memorable one. Great place to stay.

• Stayed February 2014
Barcelona
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2014

I booked this place after a recommendation of a friend. "El Encinar" turned out fully booked, as were the other two hostels. Julio offered me to stay at one of the "associated houses", as my friends did the same thing the first night and were happy with it, I agreed with it.
Upon arrival I was picked up by the taxi service I had pre-arranged through Julio, excellent service. Once at the hostel they suggested I should have dinner first, before going to my room. My room was in the same street, a few doors down.
A woman brought me to the room, it was in an apartment of an older man, the room was plain and simple, nothing inspiring. The mattress was covered in plastic. It was pretty noisy. Due to the plastic I hardly slept that night. Upon awaking I was very itchy, turned out I had one foot and my elbows covered in bites. My first thought was: bedbugs! I'm an experienced backpackers, and unfortunately I have come across this pest before, so I know the signs… I couldn't find any traces in the bed, but it was enough to decide not to stay at that place another night. Worst part was that the guy still asked for his money.
Once at Julio's place I told him I wanted another room and told him my concerns regarding bedbugs, he waived them away saying that it was very uncommon in Cuba.
I got another, nice, room. During the day I developed an allergic reaction on the bites, which BTW kept increasing in number, by the end of the day I counted 101 bites. I knew, out of experience, that I would need cortisone, if not the allergy would become pretty bad. I asked Julio, as a doctor and colleague, for advice; he told me it didn't look all that bad and it would probably all pass without a problem…
Anyhow, I didn't feel at ease at all anymore, so decided to leave the next day with a mate I had met that day. When we asked about the bus, they told us the bus the next morning was full, so we'd better stay another day. Or, we could join a couple that was taking an excursion in a private taxi with an extra stop in las Terrazzas, for only 30CUC per person, knowing that the bus was 12CUC per person that seemed like a lot… We decided to take our chances, and what turned out? OK, it wasn't possible to buy any tickets in advance anymore, but they don't sell out the bus, so once everyone had checked in, there were 12 seats left, so we got on the bus without any issue.
I really felt badly treated at this place, all they want is try to sell you stuff, refer you to cases they know, so they get a commission, waive away the possibility of bedbugs, because it might get them in trouble…
I went to Vinales as my next stop, where I had to see an allergy specialist and I had to take a week of cortisone, because my allergy, as predicted, had gotten so bad that my feet were double the size!!!
So, no, sorry, no good word about this place, business they know, humanity was far fetched.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank SIrLancelotBCN
hostalperegrino, Propietario at Hostal Peregrino, responded to this review, February 23, 2014
Dear Sir Lancelot (or much better Lady Lancelot): Thanks for your detailed comment. You showed a lot of humanity and common sense typing your review. It is very bad to know that you have this poor impression about our service. First, it is important to clarify that we were very clear about staying in other place different to the hostal. We didn’t waive it away ,we just said, and once again here, that we cannot confirm the presence of bedbugs: you didn’t see it, nobody saw it. In far act, as it is a room located next to our hostal, we use it very much and no previous complain about it. Anyway, the owner replaced the mattress. It is impossible to know of it until the first person suffers a consequence. You are an intelligent person and you also suffered it before, as experienced backpacker: how can the bites be increased from few to 102 after you left the room? This is TripAdvisor, no MedAdvisor, but I explain why I didn’t recommend the use of Cortisone: there are more than 40 side effects of this medicine. AS a professor of Medicine, I only recommend the use of Cortisone no for few bites, only in persons with some important allergy background (angioneurotic edema, anaphylaxis, epiglottis, etc) and this is not what I saw the morning after the bites. You, as a doctor, should know it. For further info just let me know to send an updated bibliography. Anyway, it is up to you to take some pills and assume the risk of it. Dear Lancelot: I think you overvalue our capacity: I cannot predict the future. If I can do that, I will win the lotto. I am very bad gambler, so I cannot predict the unpredictable, sorry. I cannot predict that the allergic reaction would be getting worst in few days. I cannot predict that there will be some last minute cancellations, enough to take you in the bus. We provide info on basis of a realistic and objective facts. As you said, there was not possibility to get ticket in advance, so the option we gave you is an alternative, you were free to take it or not, but we didn’t create a false crisis to force you to take this other option. Please, I would appreciate if you explain me how can I get a commission from my own car and my driver, my worker. The price is no too much, considering that you have to pay no only the bus ticket but also the taxi, the service of buying the ticket, and considering that it is more comfortable, with option of visiting Las Terrazas, and leaving you directly in the next hostal in Viñales. Many person take it and are very satisfied with it. People appreciate very much all the info we give, specially about the bus. Anyway, I advised something and I am paying for it. You are also advising to all the community that going to last minute to the bus station with no ticket is a chance you can get, because it is very easy to take the bus. How could you pay for the negative consequences in case of the travelers who read your advice just show up at the bus station and get stuck in Havana, with the option of paying the high price of the taxi if they want to leave Havana? Would you create an account for future compensations? Please, I would like to know your humanity about it. Thank you again for your interesting comment.
North Fort Myers, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2014

Based on Trip Advisor's advice, we selected Hostal Perigrino. We couldn't have done better. Elsa, Julio, and the entire staff went out of their way to make us feel at home - and we did! Julio's brother, Alejandro, helped me find my father's ancestral home, and going there was the highlight of our trip. The breakfasts were delicious and substantial. (And because we are early risers, they hastened to prepare our much-appreciated coffee before breakfast was served.) The dinners were epicurean delights, and we were able to partake of exquisitely prepared Cuban cuisine. I am 72 years old, and this was the best vacation of my life, due in very large measure to having stayed at Hostal Peregrino.

Juanito

Room Tip: If you smoke, choose one with a balcony.