“walking distance from Parque Hotel”
Review of El Gijones

El Gijones
Ranked #244 of 827 Restaurants in Havana
Cuisines: Cuban, Fusion
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Havana Gourmet restaurants offer various dining and cultural one of the main streets of Havana options. In our building resides the American club, and our restaurant has several shields to confirm their presence. The building is home par excellence of an Asturian community of 35,000 members, but also distinguished by cultivating the art of cooking with restaurants of different nature: Havana Gourmet, La Xana and La Terraza, specializing in Cuban fusion food, Italian and grilled respectively. Rice, lasagna and fresh pasta, havana assortment, the slices of lamb with mustard and honey, leg of lamb chops, the malangon shrimp and octopus carpaccio and fish are some of the recommendations often held for the authenticity of the recipes and spectacular preparation, but customers can find in letters a range of proposals.
Reviewed February 13, 2013

the food will probably not disappoint. The service was great. Can't say I liked the furniture/chairs but who cares after a couple of Mojitos?
when I'm talking food you need to know that virtually everything you will ever get includes rice and beans and the rolls look like out biscuits and are rather bland. The food prices in more upscale restaurants are pretty steep (some stuff can only be had on the black market).

1  Thank Marion W

Reviewed January 27, 2013

My best meal in Cuba was at El Gijones. The food was well-prepared, fresh, and beyond delicious. The service was attentive and friendly. Our waiter explained the dining room's history to our group. The unique dining room itself is worth a visit. If you have trouble finding the restaurant, call (+53) 5 291 3195 for directions and make your reservations. I would recommend this restaurant to anyone in the vicinity of Parque Central in La Habana. I will return for another awesome meal at El Gijones if/when I return to Cuba!

3  Thank coco_locomotion
Reviewed December 6, 2012

As everyone before me has written, don't let the entrance scare you away! Upstairs is a very lovely vintage dining room. (I can't recall, but I believe it was the German embassy?) The paneling and furniture is dark and heavy with giant, colored-glass windows. The appetizers did not stop coming, and they were all fabulous. Sadly, I was too full by the time dinner arrived. Many of us ordered the lobster, and it was the biggest I had ever had on a plate before me! It was flavorful but terribly overcooked and tough. But the service was excellent and the atmosphere fine. It's only a short walk from the capital building.(Not sure about the price as it was a prepaid tour.)

Reviewed November 13, 2012

This restaurant is just round the corner from the Parque Central Hotel. It was recommended to us by locals - although I doubt local people can afford to eat there often.

The entrance at ground level is un-prepossing, in fact it looks a little seedy. However follow the host up the stairs and you will find yourself in a suite of beautiful wood-panelled, high ceilinged rooms. We were told that the building had been used by the senior US forces during WW2, and this explains the 50 or so US state insignia around the upper walls.

The service is absolutely top class; unobtrusive but attentive, just as it should be. The food was excellent andthe portions are huge. My octopus starter was a complete octopus. My shoulder of lamb would have fed a family. But they didn't sacrifice quality for quantity. You may choose to skip the starter! The wine list was extensive but there were perfectly acceptable bottles at prices similar to those in inferior Havana restaurants.

The restaurant is privately owned, taking advantage of gradually loosening laws about such things. Nevertheless they pay the Government a substantial levy. Together with a tip we paid a total of 100 CUCs (which was considerably more than we paid elsewhere (except the big hotel restaurants). However for the surroundings, food quality and superb service we thought it good value. I have paid much more elsewhere in the world for this standard of restaurant.

4  Thank serendipityagain
Reviewed November 10, 2012

this used to be a place where you could have a huge place with three lobster tails for $11 bucks. Now it's getting a lot more expensive, but service is still great.

2  Thank PanaExpo