“Incredible setting, service and food - worth the price!”

Sociedad Cultural Asturiana
Ranked #227 of 821 Restaurants in Havana
Cuisines: Spanish
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed November 10, 2011

I ate at the upstairs restaurant - the more elegant of the ones in the building - with 3 other travelers from my small tour. We all enjoyed our meals. It was like dining in a private club. The service and food were excellent. They also have an excellent wine list. Yes, it is a bit pricey but much cheaper than nice restaurants in the U.S. If you want to go for a quiet and elegant dinner - and dine a midst the history of Cuba. If you want an elegant restaurant that could be any place in the world, go to Cafe del Oriente. Of the two, I'd pick this restaurant. There is also a very nice bar on the same floor - a great place for a before or after dinner cocktail.

Reviewed October 12, 2011

Went here for an early evening dinner before heading out to the airport. We choose to eat in the restaurant downstairs. The all you can eat chicken feast was just perfect for us, really tasty and lots of it. (From memory I think it was CUC 10 per person?) Quite a bit of atmosphere as a ballet class for tots in progress in the front room! Would highly recommend and, like for us, it's a really good & convenient last stop before leaving the city if you are in one of the hotels around Parque Central.

Reviewed September 9, 2011

This particular place was the site for an old German gentlemen club (later used by Americans) and finally ending up to be the center for Asturians living on Cuba (My understanding is that the Austurians originates from Northern Spain!). However, they have 3-4 restaurants on the premises, all of the high class settings; one looks like the library of an Old English mansion house and one is literally a roof terrace. I visited the latter; expensive drinks, short menu based on dishes prepared on the outside grill - and an even shorter wine list even more expense than the drinks! I had grilled fish with shrimps and melted cheese and an average french white. The fish was tasteless and dry. Some tourists came to share the experience with me on the terrace, but few guests in all. (The waiter used the term 'clients' instead of guests or customers which probably was quite revealing for the place as such).
I do not know anything about the other restaurants on the premises, but my visit felt like a rip-opp considering food and drinks. The setting was nice but not worth 75 CUC pr person! For this type of money you can find far better, even in Havana!

Reviewed August 12, 2011

There're four different restaurants in the four floors Sociedad Cultura Asturiana's building. La Terraza, Gijones, Oviedo and one downstairs that I can't remember the name.
It is really close to hotel NH Parque Central, just in the corner the next block.
I've had dinner in all of them, except Oviedos.
Speaking of Gijones, it is in great room on 3rd floor, kinda dark, the fanciest restaurant in the building. The service was very attentive. The food presentation is excelent and it tastes really good too. There I ate the best carpaccio of my life. For its standards it's very cheap in comparision to US or Europe, but expensive for Cuban standards. The bill was about 70 CUCs for two, sharing one entree, a main course for each one and a dessert for each one, plus four or five mojitos.
La terraza is a grill restaurant, everything is mad in a big grill. The view is nice and service is great, warmer than in Gijones but also very attentive. Prices are lower than Gijones, but the food, although great, isn't sofisticated as there. The bill was about 50 CUCs for two, just bread for entree, two main courses, two desserts and six mojitos/daiquiris.
The one downstairs (sorry about the name) is a cheaper option but the food still great. The service was not very attentive but probably because it was late night and I took years for choosing what to eat, as I was not very hungry. The bill was about 30 CUCs for two entrees, one main course and two desserts. We also drank three or four mojitos.
If I could rank only food quality, Gijones would be on top of the list, followed by La Terraza and than the one downstairs. But I must confess that the warmer service in La Terraza made the whole dinner experience better there.
TIP: the drinks downstairs are cheaper than in La Terraza and in Gijones, so if you like to drink before or after dinner, it may be a nice option spending a time downstairs.

2  Thank EricArthurBlair
Reviewed May 11, 2011

We picked this restaurant due to previous reviews and close proximity to the Parque Central where we were staying. Literally 1 block behind the Parque Central.

It doesn't actually look like a restaurant and could be percieved as a little intimidating with so many staff near the door, however, we didn't know which of the two restaurants to dine in, the Oviedo or La Terrazza. We went mid afternoon to book for that evening, and asked if we could look at the menu's - a porter took us into both restaurants and a member of staff at each restaurant explained what the meals were that evening.

The Oviedo was a delicious sounding mediteranean menu and the dining area was air conditioned and had a colonial feel to it, wooden panelling, high ceilings, beautifully set tables.

La Terrazza was like a covered roof terrace with views over Havana - all food here is cooked to order in full view on a large grill. The ambiance up there was amazing and whilst the Mediteranean menu sounded more appealing - we couldn't miss the experience of upstairs.

When we'd gone earlier in the afternoon they had explained speciality of the house was lamb marinaded in herbs and garlic for 24 hours he also said it was small as lamb was so rare in Cuba. The following is what we had:-

Starters
Crab Stuffed Peppers 7.50 cucs Very tasty
Serrano Ham & Tomatoes 5.00 cucs Just as it said!
Fresh baked Bread 2.00 cucs Turned out to be a whole baguette each!

Main
Aromatic Lamb 18.50 cucs It turned out to be a whole leg of lamb each!!

As we though it was going to be a small portion NOT a small leg of lamb we'd ordered sides at 3 cuc each of roast potatoes, grilled veg and rice!

We had cocktails between 3 and 5 cucs each and the OH had a Brandy at the end which was 8 cucs and I had a coffee 2 cucs.

You can probably gather we didn't manage a pudding!

I've included the prices to give you an idea. Generally most starters were between 4 and 8 cucs and mains seemed to be 15 to 25 cucs. The Oveido prices were generally quite a lot less.

The service was exemplary and the whole experience very enjoyable. We also had a drink in the bar during the afternoon - again fantastic atmosphere, great cocktails and wonderful service. I would have no hesitation to recommend to anyone. Definitely the best meal we had during our 11 night stay in Cuba.