“Best LGBT Host in Havana!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Havana
Gayfriendly Casa Jorge Silvio
Ranked #42 of 256 Specialty Lodging in Havana
Toronto, Canada
“Best LGBT Host in Havana!”
Reviewed May 16, 2013

Jorge was simply the best LGBT host in all of Havana. Very welcoming and helpful, he gave us advice as to what to do, things to see, etc, etc! His acomodations are not very big but his friendliness more than enough compensated! I would greatly recoommend Jorge to any LGBT traveller heading to beautiful Havana.

Sylvain and Alberto,

Toronto, Canada

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
10 Thank kamsar32

Families
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Hamburg, Germany
Reviewed April 2, 2013

The rooms are rather small, a bit noisy and the equipment is old but everything is clean and there is daily housekeeping. Jorge is a caring and friendly host who will help you with any requests that you have. The casa is gay-friendly but if you plan to bring more than one guest Jorge becomes irritated because he is afraid that his casa could be regarded as a place of Prostitution by the neighbours. Therefore "gay-friendly" here means you have your boyfriend or one fix Cuban friend, not more.. otherwise be prepared for constant warnings and discussions with the owner.
The staff in the casa is very friendly and the location is great, the old part of the town is as near as Vedado with its nightlife. One thing I disliked was the fact that you had to ring the bell in order to get in when entering the house after 10 pm, so you must wake Jorge up if you are out late at night. The key only opens the door until 10pm, thereafter another lock is closed. This is for security reasons as Jorge wants to know who enters the house at night.

Room Tip: Take the room with the small balcony to the patio, it´s the most quiet of all, only the neighbours a...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
11 Thank pascal r
Tenby, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 8, 2013

Jorge, Rudolfo and his team offer a great service in what can be a complicated country to get settled into.....two currencies, travel card, culture, etc. I was collected from airport, currency exchange sorted at airport and taxi to casa, was all expertly handled by Jorge's contacts. The accommodation, location, breakfast, access to cash machines and currency exchange all nearby, all suited my needs perfectly. There was an abundance of advice and suggestions for excursions, restaurants, sights to see, beaches to visit, all of which also proved ideal for making my perfect holiday. They genuinely want you to enjoy Havana and Cuba. The location is an excellent base for visiting the Capitolio, Centro, Malecon, Vedado areas, and even Havana Veija [old city] plus being fairly level ground, is an easy, pleasant and very safe walk [day or night], with options of bicycle taxi, cocotaxi or 1950's car taxi on hand if feeling lazy! Certainly opting for the casa particular is a great way to meet and enjoy true Cuban hospitality, and once 'in the system' with the likes of Jorge, you will be really well looked after.

Room Tip: Ask Jorge and he will try to meet your needs and preferences.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Ojonesyo_11
Reviewed March 5, 2013

Jorge met us at the airport with a taxi-driver friend, who helped us change money (avoid the big bills and US dollars) and took us straight into town at a good price, rather than round the houses. He was upgrading his water boiler when we got there, so we stayed in a very comfortable apartment owned by a friend of his nearby, which was terrific. The Casa itself, and Jorge, very welcoming and helpful - his place was ours at any time was the message, and so we had our cooked breakfast there every morning, asking advice about things to do, how to get to the gay beach (fun), and the only legal gay bar in town (Las Vegas, very great fun)... We saw the two guest rooms, which seemed cosy and comfortable.
Central Cancun is not Old Cancun, by the harbour, which is gradually being renovated by Unesco and the like it seems, and is very touristy. This was the real thing, with little to buy by way of food in the shops or restaurants, and with the houses more or less falling down around us. Friendly people though, except for the civil servants (in the local bookshops etc) who were rude and unhelpful. Once you get down into the Old Town itself (about twenty minutes safe walking), possibilities for food or a drink open up. Beware the bar just before you arrive at the Hotel Inglaterra, which had charming waiters luring you onto the tables for a rip off Mojito. Walking is the best way to explore, otherwise the rather boring tour buses T1 and T3 (to the beaches).
Cuba was amazing, and for those who remember East Germany, horrifying in its reminder of the failure of pure socialism to provide a decent life for the common people.

Room Tip: as we didn't stay in the place itself, hard to say, but they both seemed nice - one had access t...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Andrew D
USA
Reviewed December 31, 2012

I didn't stay with Jorge because he was booked up when I visited, but I met him, and he helped me find good gay-friendly accommodations at his friend's casa for my stay.

He was very honest, friendly, and if I visit again, I will make sure to try to stay with Jorge. Havana was an amazing experience, and if you're considering a tour, save your money and avoid the large international hotels and stay at Jorge's casa!

Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
5 Thank tjug685
San Francisco,CA
Reviewed July 15, 2012

Let me start by saying if this is your first time to La Habana, you can't find a better host than Jorge Silvio. The word friendly is an understatement. I arrived in La Habana and I was picked by Mandy. After meeting Jorge I was surprised that I had a house to myself since his house was booked. Jorge set aside some time to go over a map of La Habana and pinpoint all the places, restaurants, bars, beaches, the do's and don'ts and anything else you want to know. What I'm trying to convey here is that Jorge has a team that works for you and try to accommodate your needs as much as possible. I'm Spanish speaking person so it was easier but I saw Jorge helping English speaking people with the same helpfulness... I can't recommend Casa Jorge highly enough. As an extra bonus, Jorge sent me to a personal friend's restaurant (Paladar Don Pepon) where they prepared any Cuban dish that I wanted. Excellent food and value. I’m going back to Cuba thanks to the help and friendship which I developed with Jorge. Cuba has its magic but meeting people like Jorge makes it even more magical...

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
4 Thank Jose P
Reviewed June 25, 2012

My friend and I stayed a week at jorges place in may/June of 2012.
Jorge arranged for a friend of his to pick us up from varadero airport. Instantly we we're asked if we were hungry and we were taken to a local friendly CUP paladar in matanzas on our way to Havana, I highly recommend it.
Jorge is very approachable and knowledgeable and will warn you of what not to do etc.. He's always happy to make suggestions and reservations in paladars if you ask him also.
His place is located near infanta and the malecon where all the gays seem to be and a few good local clubs and bars.
The rooms are clean and maintained daily, ours even had a little balcony.

• Stayed June 2012