“Fairly Average Cuban Eatery”
Review of Hanoi

Hanoi
Ranked #124 of 827 Restaurants in Havana
Cuisines: Cuban
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner
Reviewed March 27, 2011

Decided to eat at Hanoi after walking past, there was a small group of musicians playing and we were invited to sit out back, but asked to sit in the main eating area, noticed that all customers after us were directed to the rather dark area out back, but much like us, returned to the main restaurant.

We were encouraged to have the “Specials” on the menu, as the waiter explained that these were the best value. I had the seafood special, and this came with a rather small over cooked Lobster Tail, Shrimps and fish, with rice, salad and black bean soup. My husband had the meat special and had chicken, pork and shrimp, again with rice and salad.

Cocktails were around 3 – 3.5 CUC each.

Overall the meal was fine, but rather over cooked – you can do better in Havana.

1  Thank lizzylizlizza

Reviewed January 24, 2011

I had a similar experience to some of the others. The waiter was very friendly and pushed mojitos and the expensive dishes on us. He remained nice after we ordered the mojitos. Which by the way were very good and excellent value (2 CUC). Then after we ordered less costly items it seemed like we let him down. The waiter was grumpy after that, and then of course came the usual overcharging. I showed him the error on the bill and he "corrected it." No longer was it 4 CUC over, it was only over by 1.50. Unfortunately overcharging happends all the time in Cuban restaurants. I got to a point where i got sick of being ripped off. So my new thing is, if I am overcharged i point out the error and leave no tip. If my bill is correct, I tip well.

2  Thank SimonYYZ
Reviewed January 12, 2011

We went here twice - once at night - on this occasion everything was fine. The service was well above average and the food was good, musicians were only slightly intrusive when looking for tips. We returned on another occasion for lunch - very different. Even though it was quiet, and one would think they'd be glad of any custom, the waiter seemed to get in a strop with us because we didn't opt for the special as recommended. We wanted something smaller. The musicians were super annoying - demanding tips even though we had just sat down. We were over-charged by about 3CUCs (no doubt to punish us for not taking the special) but we didn't bother saying anything as it was too much hassle. Later that evening I was struck down with an horrendous dose of food poisoning. I know its unfair to blame Hanoi for this as one can never be 100% sure of the cause but I'm fairly certain - let's call it my gut instinct! I haven't been able to look at a prawn since!!

Reviewed November 24, 2010

I went there twice when I was in Havana. Extremely cheap but decent courses with very good mojito or daquiri. The most expensive meal was the lobster, which cost 12CUCs (with a daquiri if I remember well).
There is also a music band in this restaurant, with some really good old musicians.

2  Thank geog81
Reviewed September 23, 2010

Stopped in for lunch on September 13th, 2010 while touring Havana. We chose this restaurant based on many other reviews that spoke of a great meal for a low price - we were very pleased to find out this was true!

The two entrees ordered were the Fish $3.95 CUC (with rice, potatoes, and black beans) and the Shrimp with tomatoes $3.40 CUC (with rice, potatos). We opted for a basket of bread to start ( $0.80 CUC each) and a plate of olives (from a jar, nothing special for $1 CUC). The meals far surpassed our expectations for the price.

The mojito was fabulous! The best I had in Cuba! Even better then the $4 obe at the NH Parque Central ;)

Highly recommend to all travelers looking for a cheap, quick, TASTY bite!