Casa Novo Guest House
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation but we can search other options in Havana
See available hotels
Hotel Terral(Havana)
  • Pool
Casa Yamir(Havana)
  • Pool
All reviewsother citieswalking distancelocation was perfectnicolasfridgehostcasamaleconcubarooftoptrinidadaccommodations
FilterAll languages
Reviewed December 11, 2011

It is a great place to stay. Very friendly people that help you with everything and even provide you with a list of Casa particulares all over Cuba. It is clean and very safe. The food is excellent.

Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 12, 2011

I stayed in Casa Novo for three nights, and was satisfied overall. Like other reviews have said, the hosts were wonderful. Immediately upon my arrival they sat me down across from them on a little bench in the living room--seeing that I was a solo female traveler they gave me a full set of tips and advice for traveling in Havana. This included "Beware of estafas" (scammers, not to be confused with jineteros, which they went into great effort to explain). They know the city inside and out.

Casa Novo is in a good location due its proximity to Old Havana, but bear in mind that the street itself (and the ones in its immediate surroundings) are not the nicest. It's safe, but the neighborhood is quite run-down (the hosts said it was generally safe but recommended that I not walk around alone after 10:00 p.m.). There is garbage piled at street corners and you won't find many foreigners walking in the area. On the same block as Casa Novo is the famous La Guarida restaurant, which appears to cater almost exclusively to foreigners, but most of them take a taxi directly to the restaurant and leave in another taxi directly from its doorstep, so that tells you something about how the neighborhood is perceived. But if you have some backpacking or low-budget traveling experience none of this should detract from your experience at the Casa. The room I had was very plain and the bed was not the most comfortable, but I wasn't expecting much and I don't have a basis for comparison with other casas.

I loved the breakfasts. Good coffee, juice, and lots of fruit. The family makes a delicious guava marmalade. Don't expect high quality for things like bread and pastries (the state-run bakeries leave a lot to be desired), but for 4 convertible pesos you will get enough food to fill you up until about 2:00 p.m. And seriously, try that guava marmalade if it's served to you, and bring me some.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled solo
3  Thank carryont
Reviewed July 23, 2011

Nicolas and his wife are both excellent hosts. Their casa is a charming colonial building in Centro Habana. The street might not look the best, but we felt safe walking around. They both speak good English which was very helpful in Cuba. They welcome our questions about places to see, things to do, gave excellent recommendation on casas in other towns. Their breakfasts and dinners were very generous and in Cuba, they said it's a tradition to serve too much food rather than too little. 4 our us stayed at Casa Novo during the trip and would definitely recommend it.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank ladawan
Reviewed February 7, 2011

If you stay in Havana for some days and you are looking for a handy casa particulare then you should stay at Casa Novo Guest House.
The owner couple is very friendly, hearty and open-minded. They are very interested in making conversation and exchanging experiences. As the couple is very keen on cooking, it's a pleasure to order the dinner at this Casa. The house is situated in Havana centro and thus Havana vieja and Vedado are easily accessible.

Just a perfect Casa! Book it...maybe today? :-)

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank HavanaZug
Reviewed September 29, 2010

I stayed with Dr. Porro and his family for a week in Havana last month. They have a very nice house with the colonial style. Besides the rooms are very comfortable and well...I already checked above that they fulfill the requirements of a nice hostel, what I liked the most was the staff. Dr. Porro and his family all speak english (which is not very common in Cuba) and this helps you a lot. They are very homely, I received all kind of advices about Havana and Cuba, and good recommendations of houses like this in other parts of the country, etc. You can also have breakfast and a traditional cuban dinner with the family´s recipe for reasonable prices (loved it). I was travelling alone but didn´t feel like it ,I really enjoyed staying with them, I hope you do too.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled solo