“Could have been better”
Review of Hotel Florida

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Havana
Hotel Florida
Ranked #22 of 80 Hotels in Havana
Reviewed September 22, 2011

This is a very old hotel in Havana. It is charming but........ We have problems with hot water on our stay at the hotel or we didn`t have water at all. The problem was fixed but anyway, a toilet without water is not a pleasant way to have a vacation. It is a old colonial building but it needs a fixer very soon. he rooms are nice but still everything is quite old in the room. It has a very good location and it is easy to reach. The food in the hotel is good but if you need something special you will have to go downtown. The staff are nice enough but could lean some tricks to improve.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank BR2468

Reviewed September 21, 2011

Stayed here for 3 nights. Location is nice and very close to old Havana. Central hall is beautiful! But our room and bathroom were not good. No cold water first night and shower so very hot that it could not be used. Toilet without water, bed was not clean. Service was OK, water repaired next day. Toilet stil did not work. Quality of the breakfast average.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank Patricia V
Reviewed September 18, 2011

Great location. Old property. Rooms were dark, damp, and musty. Good service. Found for the price many more choices to be had.
Capt. Don

• Stayed: October 2010
1  Thank YachtZephyr
Reviewed August 12, 2011

Hotel Florida is located in a great spot within walking distance to all the sights in the old part of Havana. Public rooms were gorgeous and bedrooms were nice however some of the bathrooms needed repairing. We stayed there twice, the first time in the other section of the hotel at the back with was lovely but the bathroom was not good. The second time we stayed in the main part and room and bathroom were good. Breakfast was hit and miss with long waits for a tea bag or hot water.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank kathy_rodgers
Reviewed August 1, 2011

Stayed here for 3 nights with my boyfriend at the start of a 2 week trip to Cuba. We liked that the hotel had lots of character and felt authentically Cuban in its architecture and decor. We were upgraded to a junior suite when the safe in our room didn't work. Both rooms had high ceilings, large bathrooms and plenty of space. Beds were fine and air conditioning was adequate at best. Came with breakfast- bearable coffee but very poor food offering. We just got cake and espresso from little cafe up the street instead. The greatest asset of this hotel is its ideal location in the centre of Havana Vieja, on a street called Obispo which is one of only a few pedestrianised areas, and is minutes away from all the pretty sights of the colonial old town. Excellent value for money. We also stayed at Hotel Nacional de Cuba at the end of our trip but much preferred Hotel Florida.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank sunshine-sangria
Reviewed August 1, 2011

Having read the negative reviews of other travellers, I have to say my experience was completely the opposite. I arrived at 0300 with no reservation, although the on duty receptionist was asleep when I got there, she quickly organised a room (maybe so she could get back to sleep who knows!). The hotel, like most places in Cuba doesnt accept credit card, so I paid cash in Euro and she gave me the change in the Cuban Convertible Peso at the current exchange rate... which was great as I didnt pay any commission on it and saved me changing money immediately!

My room was a single, it was clean, had air con and an ensuite bathroom. Although there was no natural light this was no concern to me as it was a one night stay and it helped me catch up on some sleep. Having said that, there was building works going on next door and it went all through the night. If I wasnt so exhausted I would have requested a room change.

The next day, I requested the assistance of the receptionist in making some phone calls for me, to track down a friend who was staying with his Cuban family and who I know would not speak english. She gladly made 4 phone calls for me and took care to make sure that I knew where I had to go when I left.

The building itself is beautiful old architecture in the heart of Old Havana. Perfect location for exploring the old city. Honestly people complaining, .... this is by no means a first world country, perhaps adjust your expectations... I for one was not disappointed and would stay again.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled solo
4  Thank itchyfeet74
Reviewed July 23, 2011

After a disastrous start to our trip to Havana by staying in Ambos Mundos, we moved to Hotel Florida for our remaining few nights. The location is good and rooms were ok but certainly nothing to write home about. The included breakfast was abysmal, eat elsewhere if you can although clearly Cuba is not known for it's culinary delights! The staff were very hit and miss, when I asked the concierge to make a restaurant booking for us she promptly told me, without even checking, that the particular restaurant we had chosen was fully booked. I subsequently went upstairs and called them myself only to get a reservation a few hours later. Very unhelpful!! The rooms were average but I'd suggest is indicative of most hotel rooms in Havana which itself is stuck in a time warp!

• Stayed: July 2011