“Small, cheap - you get what you pay for”

Hotel Sercotel Caribbean
Ranked #616 of 702 Havana B&B and Inns
Reviewed December 28, 2013

Stayed here as part of an organised trip. $30 cab ride from Havana airport. Location is close to the centre of town - 5-10min walk away. Breakfast is included from the cafe attached to the hotel, ham and cheese sandwich with fruit juice - it wasnt too bad at all. Dinner was available from the bar for about 2-5 US dollars for a huge and filling meal and super cold beers were about $2US.
The rooms are small, mostly windowless, simple, clean, safes don't really work- I would lock up your stuff in your suitcase. Reception don't seem super enthused to see you and mostly smoke their entire shift. It's is a budget travellers hotel but it does the job.
BEWARE the con men and women lucking in the street ready to take your money in any way. Just remember no one is your friend, never go anywhere or into any building with them otherwise be prepared to fish out cash and be sucked in!!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank redribbons112
There are newer reviews for Hotel Sercotel Caribbean

Reviewed November 7, 2013

If you are a light sleeper then avoid this hotel at all costs. It's not that the guests or staff are noisy but the hotel is situated in a busy area and poorly insulated. It's quiet for maybe 2 or 3 hours then the rumble returns.

The hotel and room (#402) is clean. The service was excellent.

I checked in late - around 2:00AM. The receptionist made things happen quickly. The 'hotel associate' (they don't call them busboys anymore) brought my luggage to my room immediately.

I asked for service twice. The light in the bathroom wasn't working. A staff member was at my door within 2 or 3 minutes to correct the problem. There was difficulty with the door lock and again it was handled within a matter of minutes.

My wake up call was on-time - in fact they had me call the front desk the night before to ensure their automated system was working properly.

I didn't eat breakfast at the hotel as I had brought my Cherios and Special K cereal with me but I did order a bottle of water once and it was excellent!!

The room was cleaned and the bed made every day at around the same time.

The shower worked okay but it took about 20 minutes for it to warm up.

Some reviewers have complained that the water pressure for the toilet is low. They have these newer toilets (al least in my room) where you flush by holding down the button on top. If you simply hold it a few seconds more whatever you left behind in the bowl will go down the drain. The water pressure isn't any worst than what you'd get in Canadian cities. Some reviewers just need to keep up to date with current toilet flushing techniques.

The safe in my room was broken but so were all the other safes. Perhaps they are in the process of changing them. I don't know. I kept my valuables with me and whatever else I didn't want hotel staff to see I locked in my suitcase. Out of sight out of mind.

If you have no trouble sleeping anywhere and don't like to spend much money (a polite way of saying your cheap) then this is the hotel for you. It's centrally located in the heart of Havana nearby all the main attractions and good restaurants.

This is not a third world hotel as some have mentioned. It's not the Ritz but a least its clean and the service is excellent.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms 401, 402, or 301. Leaving a $3.00 CUC at the main desk will ensure you are given super...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
4  Thank JFK1954
Reviewed September 22, 2013

You pay for the room safe and sign a document saying they are not responsible for theft. And then they just take your money from the safe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Do not leave any valuables.
I would not recommend this hotel as the service for breakfast was the grumpiest old woman and the manager was a greasy guy who we know took our $210 cdn
No shower head! No hot water, fact one day no water period.

• Stayed: March 2013
6  Thank Carolyndav
Reviewed September 8, 2013

Awful. Cost us about $80 for double room and was one of the worst hotels i've ever seen. And I saw a lot,travelling around thirld world. It just doesnt worth it booking a hotel in Havana. Better walk 300-500m from this place to old Havana area and get a Casa Particular for $25-35. You'll get bigger room, functioning air condition and less security risks.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Skoosh
4  Thank Alexander S
Reviewed June 29, 2013

I really enjoyed my stay at the Hotel Caribbean. the staff were friendly, although sometimes a bit tired as mostly they work 12 hours straight. They are very adaptive to requests, helped me switch rooms when my toilet wasn't working, and helped me experience Havana. Many of the issues are unrelated to the hotel, but Havana and Cuba as a whole.

There are many very nice hotels closer to Old Havana, where you'd almost not notice that you're in a country where people go without many conveniences that we take for granted in Canada. The Hotel Caribbean is not one of those places. your toilet may not work, there may not be toilet paper in the bar bathroom, the power may go out for a few hours on one of the days of your stay, the internet server may be completely down. But if you want to experience Havana, I'd recommend this Hotel. And I will stay there again if I go back.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
5  Thank Kristin J
Reviewed June 24, 2013

I stayed at this hotel in Jan 2013 and had a great time, floor 5 housekeeper was barbara, great service no problems(hence the good review I gave it at that time)

I came back in June 2013, and this is when the nightmare happend, front staff is nice, security is nice (locals are not permitted upstairs without clearance), I kept my valuables in the room safe passport w/ departure tax, documents, car keys, and cash (I was going for a week, brought adequate cash for the time I was going to be in Havana) - The 3rd day money starting feeling weird - I thought I misspent it, so I did a manual count of the bills, put everything back in the safe. Went out that evening and returned in the AM usually after the housekeeper finished cleaning my room, boom money was missing. So I kept the money in my wallet - that night Friday night I took a picture of my safe, returned the saturday afternoon took another photo and compared - and I was shocked, that someone had been going through my safe - I reported this to the staff with the photos, they seemed shock and were more worried about me posting a negative review - I didn't involve the police as the entire week the weather had sucked, and I wanted to go to the beach, wasting my time with the police would've been countless as my money ($700 CUC) was gone. Luckily I had some cash left, and was able to enjoy the remainder of my trip , 1. Forget the safe! 2. Be careful of theft! 3. Opt Out of Housekeeper service (even though they won't respect your wishes)

---Hotel was clean, room was nice, only thing that ruined it was the theft.

-----Also adding that Havana,Cuba is a very safe city, the people are nice, there were no issues with officials as they were courteous, only gripe was the hotel.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
9  Thank Danny H
Reviewed June 23, 2013

People working in the tourist industry make a lot of money and they do. In well intentioned tips. I met my room's maid who seemed friendly and unassuming. We chatted a few times. I travel light and always left the room tidy, and on leaving, left small presents totalling about £10. No need to use the safe as I had no valuables, keeping passport, monies etc on me (copies of documents in hotel)
It wasn't until I got home and needed my new prescription glasses with detachable shades I found out they had been taken. I never wore them in Havana as I managed without them, they were there if I needed them, packed with another pair of (broken) sunglasses in 2 separate cases. The sunglasses were left. A favourite pair of irreplaceable trousers had also been taken. Be very wary. However, the hotel's good value, good breakfasts clean and well positioned. I didn't find it noisy.
I'm devastated at the fact that my every part of my bag had been searched and disappointed with the staff.

Room Tip: I was put originally in a back room with no windows. The next morning I had it changed to one at th...
Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo