All reviews realistic expectations three star lobby bar fresh towels osmany cubanacan bank
Selected filters
Reviewed February 20, 2019

Hotel MarAzul is good vacation experience, including for GBLT tourists. Mar Azul is convenient place to stay if you wish to have the enjoyment of an all-inclusive beach. (including Mi Cayito, majority GBLT) Do not expect a flawless experience. There will be periods when services will not function, use common sense and remind yourself you are not in your home country.

Repeat Past Affirmative Good Experiences at MarAzul:

-Safety/Security #1
-Proximity to Havana (free shuttle)
-Taxi almost always
-Panoramic Building (Quiet at night)
-Food Drinks are uncomplicated (plenty of cabbage) Iced Cream, customized breakfast #1.
-TV (BBC, CNN, etc)
-WIFI (fast)
- A/C works well
- The Grill by the pool has awesome food
- The elevators works
- The MarAzul Staff tries their best to speak English
- The evening entertainment is great
- GBLT friendly

Challenging Experiences at MarAzul: (especially for those who have not travelled a lot).

At times:
-services (water/electric) go offline.( I have witnessed the staff do their best to fix things in a timely manner. Remember sometimes services go offline due to issues outside of MarAzul’s control.)
- insects/birds in Food Hall
- table cloths not always spotless
- soup is not hot
- cutlery does not appear clean
-Tourists/Guests sometimes smoke inside or lack behavioral civility.

What you can do to make your experience better at MarAzul:
Learn the staff’s name, not just the bartenders. Maybe avoid the feeding the local pets.

Treat staff, as you would like to be treated. You are on holiday, relax things will work out, be patient and spend more time at the beach appreciating how hard you worked to here and enjoy yourself more.

Notes: Not related to MarAzul as tourist in Cuba. You are staying in a developing country. Bring small medical supplies & baby/ alcohol wipes from home. Travel smart: buy a can of Mexican Coca Cola, yogurt/kefir and/or Ginger Root to realign your tummy. Bring snack food bars. Drink bottled water.

Use common sense. Most Cuban’s are honest and trustworthy, and no one works for free. (even, where you live) Remember, this is not solely your vacation you are living the ecosystem of another country and with others also on holiday.

Cole (Toronto/Canada)

Date of stay: March 2018
  • Trip type: Traveled solo
6  Thank CubaFan2019
adrianmpg1988, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Hotel MarAzul, responded to this reviewResponded March 1, 2019

Dear client

Thank for your comments and for share your experiences we are sure will be very helpful for all the people that are thinking to travel
we are so happy you enjoyed your holiday in Marazul
best regards

Reviewed February 2, 2019

It was our first and last time we stayed in that hotel. Don't let photos mislead you. For two days there was no water in the morning. Toilet flush in our room was not working properly. The floor in the room was un even and we had to watch our steps not to trip over. They were not changing our towels. I marked a towel and noticed the same towel that I had placed on the bathroom floor for them to change they had put it back up on the hanger. They didn't even bother to replace our empty shampoo bottles. No paper, no pen, no tissue box. Flies all over. When I was asking for pina colada they were sending me from one drink station to another with a surprise look as if I was swearing at them. At the end the fact that were not serving pina colada was my least concern. I do not recommend this hotel to anybody. I don't know why it was rated 3 star hotel.

• Trip type: Traveled as a couple
3  Thank Saghar B

Dear client

Thank for write us , we really sorry for all the inconveniences
but if some thing like you mention in your comment happened
why don't you report it here ? we can not understand ?
we have problem with water only one morning.
please we ask you that in the future report only that it is real .
best regards

Reviewed January 22, 2019

Front desk staff is exceptional rude and very un friendly. A tall man wearing coveralls and gloves came with a cardboard box and took the 6-8 week old kittens that were living under the stairs with their mother and the kittens were never seen again!!! I asked the staff about the kittens and what were done with them and they pretended to not understand me!! Rooms were horrible, I was scratched by a spring sticking out of my mattress. It rained while we were there and lots of rooms flooded. The wind howled through the gaping holes around the air conditioner. The food was absolutely disgusting. Sliced weiners with mustard on top was served daily along with some vegetable, maybe squash?? The front door staff made meowing sounds at me whenever I walked by because I fed the starving stray dogs and cats. The dogs refused to eat the weiners from the buffet!! Only edible food was the omelettes in the morning and the bread. I saw the bar staff refilling water bottles with tap water. Good luck getting a clean towel. They would fold your wet towels and put them on the toilet seat. If you wanted a clean towel you had to get one from the pool area, IF they had any towels.
About a 30-45 minute bus ride to Havana and around 2-1/2 hours away from Varadero by taxi.
Beach was a very short walk away.
Found a really good restaurant a few blocks away, a pizzeria that also served seafood.
I would never go to this resort, or Cuba, for that matter again. The taxi drivers try to rip you off, Havana is just a bunch of old run down buildings and stray and starving cats and dogs and kitten and puppies. It is a horrible place.

Room tip: Don’t bother to pay extra for an ocean view, most rooms face the ocean and the view of the ocean isn’t great.
Date of stay: March 2018
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
3  Thank dorisl909
adrianmpg1988, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Hotel MarAzul, responded to this reviewResponded February 18, 2019

Dear Customer

We regret the inconveniences you experienced during your trip.
animals should not live with customers in the hotel,
many are the efforts to avoid this but it is the clients themselves who attract the animals,
feeding them throughout the hotel.

It is not possible that you have seen filling knobs for water consumption,
All the water for consumption is obtained sealed and filtered.
The mattresses have been replaced all since some months ago
However, on behalf of the hotel management, you can write.
best regards .

Reviewed January 17, 2019

Just got back from Cuba...stayed at this location for 4 days...wonderful..clean room..great staff..love the art deco hotel... they are in process of renovation..not perfect but clean..new beds...white sheets..clean bath..tv that worked..always something on the buffet that was edible... no major complaints... lots of little staircases...without railings in most places..Pool...needs better ladders...perhaps...steps as opposed to them..

Room tip: ask for ocean view..loved to hear the ocean roar
  • Trip type: Traveled with friends
2  Thank 123456789annie
adrianmpg1988, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Hotel MarAzul, responded to this reviewResponded February 15, 2019

Dear customer,
Thank you for writing we are pleased to know that I enjoy your stay
we will take your impressions into account to improve our services.

Best regards

Reviewed January 14, 2019 via mobile

MarAzul is the new name but it's really the Tropicoco taxi know it by this, wrist bands say this? Looked long and hard on were to stay in Cuba didnt really want to stay in havana but wanted to visit, wanted ocean access this had both? American credit cards as I have heard don't work in cuba, so we needed to book through a canadian tour company , we also took canadian money because US dollars have an extra 10 percent fee? Well off we go first stop money exchange sent my girlfriend got shorted 60 cucs(special money just for tourists) off to the taxi long ride to the hotel 40 minutes with everything we have to live on for the next 5 days in our pockets (kinda one of my scariest moments there) made it to hotel checked in got our room that was supposed to be ocean veiw but wasn't but we didnt care safe worked (picture me starting to breath normal again) quick unpacking and down to the bar (YES!) Beer good tiqelia not so much but good service! The hotel is something else huge Russian monster with beams and really cool architecture (this place really has potential!) Under new management and can see how they have been improving .Feeling better we go back to the room ac worked good and was newer had a mini fridge and it worked(picture me almost back to almost make to myself) down to dinner it closes at 9:30 PM,,,Into the buffet and this is were things get kinda bad amigos?Didnt really expect much after reading the reviews but it was horrible(and we did get sick amigos) stick to the beans and rice noodles and try and watch what meats you eat! End of part one!

Date of stay: January 2019
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
5  Thank 77brentg
adrianmpg1988, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Hotel MarAzul, responded to this reviewResponded February 17, 2019

Dear Customer .

Thank you for expressing your experiences in Cuba.
The food at Hotel Marazul and at the hotels in Cuba are certified and kept in good condition, we have not had any cases of food sickness.
Daily more than 100 guests stay at the hotel
You can not qualify us for what happened to you and your friends who may have taken food or drinks in other places.
Anyway, thanks for writing.
best regards .