“Bang for your buck!”
Review of Tropicoco Hotel

Tropicoco Hotel
Ranked #60 of 80 Hotels in Havana
Reviewed May 20, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Tropicoco on a last-minute trip to Havana, Cuba. When we pulled up to the hotel, we looked at each other wide-eyed both thinking, "this looks like a prison." But we were happily surprised when we went inside to find a rather large lobby area, complete with a pool table and ping pong table. The reception staff were very friendly and did their best to get us the room of our choice. The room was clean, despite the washroom smelling a bit musty. We were very happy with the food and the drinks. The hotel is well-located right across from the beach, with the FREE shuttle to downtown Havana just 30 mins away. The only downside is the slowwww internet connection, However, that is no fault of the hotel, it seems minimal internet connectivity is just a part of Cuban life. All in all, we were very happy with the Tropicoco hotel and I recommend it for budget travelers.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank AliSeymour

Reviewed May 11, 2013

Hotel tropicoco great location, but everything else was crap. Rooms old and small, food was un identifiable, staff service was good. The hamburger girl was always missing in action. Security always stop me and asked what I wanted? Even though I am wearing hotel bracket, for the price I expected what I got, nothing like hotels in Varadero

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank Mark Anthony L
Reviewed April 26, 2013

This year I spent from February 9 to March 9 at the Tropicoco and enjoyed every minute of my vacation. Very pleased to see the ramp that has been put in. It makes it much easier to take luggage in and out, also my bicycle, plus a ramp is easier on aging knees that climbing stairs.
So great to see the very special staff that work at the Tropicoco - they make me feel like visiting family - coming home again. Food was better than ever, supper music nice. Used the free shuttle to go in and out of Old Havana which is a great convenience. I enjoyed 2 meals in the Al La Carte restaurante - always seems special to be there being served! I won't try to name everyone who works there that I just love but feel that I have many, many good friends at this hotel. Thank you everyone for making my vacation so very enjoyable!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
6  Thank epcanuck
Reviewed April 21, 2013

If you are a couple or family do not go to this resort. This hotel is mainly for prostition and they dont care if everyone knows it. The front desk ladies are mean and unhelpful and when you ask questions they look at you like your a nusaince the also work with the prostitues so they like you if your paying for sex. If you just want a room to sleep in and go into Havana everyday this is the hotel for you otherwise do not stay there. The food is TERRIBLE but somewhat edible you will just survive.

The Good:
Beach is beautiful and the free shuttle to Havana (the rules of who can take the bus changes every day so check everyday) and that's about it.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
7  Thank Christina s
Reviewed April 16, 2013

it is a 2 star,
-don't expect activities, in 8 days there were no pool or other activities,
-don't expect watersports, in 8 days there was briefly only one morning/noon that was non windy/red flag
(though they had 5 kayaks, they only had 2 paddles, so other people waiting couldn't use and then red flag by 1pm, and the staff moved so slow that they were not ready even by 11:am though they say on the board watersports available10-4pm)

constant tiny ants in the room (3rd fl) on floor/bed/chair and night table (though they didn't bite so I could just share the room with the ants by the fourth night on and ignore)

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank ralphcragg
Reviewed April 9, 2013

Nice clean rooms, friendly staff and a slightly run down building on a lovely stretch of beach (across the street about 100 meters). Not a bad place for the price. Only serious criticism is the food. Cuba is renowned for bad food but Tropicoco takes bad to a new level. Still I was there a week and was able to survive on beer and Cuba libres.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank fine_dinerWinnipeg
Reviewed April 8, 2013

My wife and I booked 9 nights .... We have traveled a lot and would never stay there again. We lasted 1 night. The food was not edible, the service was non-existent, the staff were RUDE, the resort was filthy, the rum was the closest thing to rubbing alcohol, the beach loungers were all broken and the umbrellas were ripped and torn (if you were lucky to find one) and the beer was like homemade beer. We left and rented a place in Havana, which was nice. This vacation was almost destroyed \BEWARE PLEASE DON'T BRING YOUR KIDS THERE... FULL OF CHEAP HOOKERS LOOKING FOR ANY ONE THAT HAS 30 PESOS ....

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple