“Great location, great hotel”

Iberostar Parque Central
Ranked #1 of 80 Hotels in Havana
Reviewed June 19, 2009

I recently spent 3 nights at the Parque Central and could not have been happier with every aspect of the hotel. The location was perfect, the hotel was clean and quiet, and the staff were polite and helpful. It's a truly lovely hotel with comforts that I didn't expect to find in Cuba, like a modern room, central air and king-size beds (and the pillow menu was a first for me). The breakfast buffet had a large variety of food and was quite good, especially the little crepes and fresh fruits. I also ate dinner each night at the rooftop restaurant by the pool. Pork ribs with chimichurri seasoning was the absolute best. A special "thank you" to my waiter, Juan, who was always friendly and attentive. His service was better than many waiters at comparable restaurants in NYC. My only regret is that I couldn't spend more time in Havana. But when I return, I'll definitely stay at the Parque Central again.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled solo
1  Thank MizMamie
There are newer reviews for Iberostar Parque Central

Reviewed June 16, 2009

We stayed in this hotel for 3 nights. The location is excellent! The staff very friendly.
Only shame was there were too many tours.
The rooms are clean and spacious. Breakfast is very good. Shame they did not have fresh orange juice.

I would certainly stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2009
1  Thank Marie_Grazielle
Reviewed June 13, 2009

On entering the hotel impressive reception/lounge/bar area with friendly and polite staff.
All inward facing bedrooms had balconies which overlooked the lounge area. Our room was of a generous size and was very clean with a comfortable bed.
The breakfast room was light and airy with a good choice of buffet style food. We did not have dinner in the hotel, which was expensive, as was eating out in Havana. Food in Havana was just OK. Roof terrace excellent with a nice swimming pool, sun beds, bar and snacks. We spent 5 days at this hotel before moving on to Varadero. We took a day trip to Vinalyes which took 2 hours each way. Interesting but not on our 'must do' list. Enjoyed the experience of Havana but unfortunately left a few items behind in the hotel as an oversight. When they were eventually returned to us 5 days later a gold necklace was missing. We did not find the Cuban holiday reps. at all helpful and the necklace was never found. This marred an otherwise good holiday.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Elizabeth003
Sandra_Garcia, Guest Relations & Quality Manager at Iberostar Parque Central, responded to this reviewResponded June 15, 2009

Dear Trip Advisor Reviewer and users,

Thanks very much for your positive comments posted in your review.

Regarding your supposedly missing gold necklace, we should tell you that: We consider that in your case we all followed the procedures established in these cases, since the very moment we received your call from Varadero. Our Guest Relations Department sent you a mail after that, notifying you all the details requested by you and left you the option to contact us in case you need it more information.
As for all other trip advisor users, and just as additional info: If we find any forgotten item in the room, we have our ways to trace the guest who stayed in that room. Through that way we were able to return 10 watches to their rightful owners, amongst them 2 Rolexes during this year 2009.

I understand your frustration about your missing gold necklace, but we can not accept this responsibility

Hospitable Regards,
NH Parque Central

Sandra García Dorticós
Guest Relations and Quality Manager

Reviewed June 6, 2009

We stayed in the Parque central in la Havanna in may 209 and I must say it was by fal the most beautiful hotel we saw in Cuba. the service was perfect, the food was great, the pool is beautiful and best of all, the location is great.
We could walk to old Havanna, walk to the malecon, walk to the capitolio.. it's perfectly located.
Becareful though as son as you exit the door of this prestigeous hotel, you will be littlerally followed by people trying to sell you a tour of the city by horse carriage. the price is 20 cuc, we did it and it was nice.
I recommend going to the market, you can find beautiful paintings for really good prices! make sure you ask for the certificate of authenticity (or something) to be able to leave the country with the painting.
We went to "la Floridita" for a famous daquiri, again, at walking distance from the hotel, but I must say that the service was a bit rude, I guess it's to be expected a such a touristy place.
I loved our stay in Havanna, the people are increadibly nice, I brought many small toys and diapers that I gave to people asking me for them in the streets, it made them so happy that I wish I would have brought more!

I would recommend this hotel to anyone, for any occasion, honeymoon, family vacation, business trip. it was great.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled on business
2  Thank Pouxy-style
Reviewed May 31, 2009

i also stayed in the telegrafo, and the beltran. here is what I think. Breakfast here is fine, terrible in Beltran, SLIGHTLY better in telegrafo which is cheaper. Parque Centrale does NOT have character as a hotel, it is as bland as they come. It began as a small hotel which in the last decade or two was massively enlarged and is characterless and not remotely beautiful, very dark and very big. The internet costs about twice as much as it does in the other two hotels which sell scratchcards for six CUC that last an hour. It has a swimming pool on the roof. There are bottles of mineral water in the bathrooms, 500 ml costing 3 CUC. There is a Moorish style building on the opposite side of the adjacent street (the one the breakfast room looks out on) leading from the square - the one with the promenade, where you can buy either 1 litre or 1.5 litre bottles for 0.75 CUC. In other words, 3 CUC is a rip-off! AS FOR SERVICE: TERRIBLE in the restaurant/bar near the lobby. It took ages to arrive even after I stood up, found a waitress and asked if I could order. It was another waitress who eventually took the order. However, the first waitress brought someone else's food to our table, and my friend started it, thinking it was ours. I brought the mistake to her attention (and saw a poor German couple whose order it probably was) and she said 'don't worry' - yet when the bill arrived, it had the food which we did NOT order on it. Her explanation? We ate it. Disgraceful. On a more positive note, the ladies at the check-in desk, the concierge (all the ones I dealt with), and the porters were all not only very helpful but were all a pleasure to deal with. All in all, it's fine as a place, but I don't know if it's worth more than the other hotels.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank duineeigin2
Reviewed May 23, 2009

we stayed 3 nights at his hotel (may 8-11)and we enjoyed our stay there.
views from rooftop pool were excellent,not easy to get seats around pool though unless you were quick off the mark on a morning.
breakfasts were excellent,champagne/wine at breakfast though was a bit of a novelty only managed 2 bottles with cornflakes!
we ate in the hotel on our first night,there burgers were really good at 12 cucs
also had pool snacks sandwiches/pizzas etc. all about 6 cucs(£4)
ate one night around the roof top grill and had really nice kebabs and a view to die for as the sun went down !
not many negatives to report on except we thought bottled water in the minibars should be free and not 3 cucs for a 330 ml bottle you can get 1.5l bottled over the road for 1cuc!
be aware though outside hotel lots of people are trying to rip you off we got asked for pampers (disposable nappies)from an undesirable for showing where the water was on the shelves of a shop!
JUST SAY NO
we met quite a few people who had been caught in havana for cigars,drinks,meals and baby products,these people should be ignored ,theres a high police presence in the city and its relatively safe so to repeat the message
JUST SAY NO
All in all i would highly recommend staying in this hotel,its central to most the attractions and is extremely safe and well run.
it just takes some time to get used to havana speed as opposed to UK speed ,service in the bar area is not as quick as home but you get used to it after a while.
we are already missing the ice cold bottles of "bucanero beer"

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
7  Thank culrosschris
Reviewed May 22, 2009

You won't be disappointed with the Parque Central. They give it 5* and that's probably fair given its peers in Havana. The staff is attentive, the breakfast buffet is the best I've seen in years, and security is of high importance to the hotel.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with friends