2,007 results
All reviews oldest hotel rooftop bar old havana cuban music fantastic location central havana old cars habana vieja history earplugs tourists capitolio salsa plaza taxis malecon
Selected filters
Reviewed November 28, 2016 via mobile

Service is atrocious at this gorgeous place. A real shame when you take into account the beauty of the building and its location in the heart of Havana Vieja. The staff is not attentive at all and they just do not have time for you and your needs. Not recommend! !!

Trip type: Traveled solo
3  Thank robertwolfenix
Reviewed November 23, 2016

By sheer luck my travel agent booked me into the Inglaterra for my two week visit to Havana. As it turned it, the hotel is situated centrally for most points of interest. As a solo traveller who unfortunately doesn't speak Spanish, I initially found Havana overwhelming, but the front desk staff was friendly and helpful. My main reason for visiting Havana was to photograph districts before the floodgates from the U.S. were opened. What I was not prepared for was the vast amount of poverty just one block behind the hotel. However, once I became comfortable making my way around the inner city, I found getting back to my room at night a safe haven. Having a shower, a comfortable bed, and a television to watch if I so wished, was really appreciated, especially considering not all Cubans are as fortunate, Some negative comments have been posted about the complimentary breakfast buffet. Having some food items usually found served at lunch or supper may not appeal to all, I came to appreciate this, as I would walk for miles during a day. I have learned that if you show your appreciation to staff especially the cleaning ladies, you obtain good service. Cuba is a country that has made great inroads providing a safe experience for visitors. It is only right that visitors give back to their hosts. As a retired teacher I am not wealthy, but tried my best to reward good service as I saw it at this hotel. I understand 2017 will be a massive makeover. My advice is to book before the renovations to fully enjoy the timeless charm the Inglaterra Hotel has to offer.

4  Thank markn0rthwest
Reviewed November 21, 2016

We stayed here for 3 nights early November. The hotel is ideally situated in the centre of the old city within comfortable walking distance of the squares. This is an older hotel so you must expect some old features. like mild drain smells now and again and a bit of noise. However, we were comfortable in a large bedroom with high ceilings with air conditioning that worked and plenty of hot water. Breakfasts were excellent with either piano or violin accompaniment giving it a classy appeal. Staff were generally very accommodating and friendly although the receptionist was a little dour. We were though checked in and out efficiently. I would hesitate to recommend a stay here.

• Trip type: Traveled with friends
Reviewed November 16, 2016

We stayed here for 5 nights in Oct 2016. The check in staff were unwelcoming and didn't mind leaving people to wait while they chatted to colleagues. Over the course of the 5 days we didn't get so much as a smile or "thank you" at the reception desk. They didn't care if they served you or not, I have never experienced such bad service and I have travelled a lot over my 50+ years. The breakfast was basic and it was difficult to get a table which was freshly set up, generally you had to request spoons, salt, sugar or whatever, no attention to detail. The waiting staff (apart from one short girl) were uninterested in the work and avoided it as much as possible. The piano player was good though!
The room we had overlooked the square so was extremely noisy. It would be okay for a night or two but after 5 nights we were tired. The air con was good and worked well.
The room was equipped with a mini bar and we were left one large bottle of water and an hour internet card gratis which we appreciated. There is also an iron and ironing board which is useful as the wardrobe we had did not have the length to hang a dress, only shirts and folded pants. The room safe was opened by your room card which probably means housekeeping could open it too!? The bathroom had lots of hot water but the lay -out was very strange, you had to put your feet in the shower to sit on the loo!!
There was a nozzle type hairdryer and toiletries, the towels were a bit tired.
The bars were not as good as the hype I have read previously and we were very disappointed in the band. There is much better music in smaller establishments around Havana. The hotel is a lovely building with stained glass and lovely ceilings but the staff let it down badly. My advice...go elsewhere!

Room tip: Rooms overlooking the square are noisy!
Date of stay: October 2016
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
2  Thank Liffey118
Reviewed November 11, 2016

Stayed 5 nights too long in October. Hotel is well located, historic, with a once magnificent, lobby and dining room. Here ends the positive. Staff from reception to Dining and Bar were indifferent bordering on rude. The breakfast buffet was appalling, very limited food, filthy table cloths and if enough plates etc likely dirty, staff look blankly and fail to return if reqesting anything. Only saving grace was the pianist. Getting to the room, which whilst large was very shabby, window closed poorly so much street noise and the mould in the shower was unbelieveable. Towels were so thread bare we wouldn't use them on our pets. As the breakfast was so bad we ate in the evenings at the Parque Central across the square, which was a lovely looking Hotel, with very pleasant staff and a nice pool terrace bar on the roof, unlike the joke of a roof top bar at the Inglaterra. I know everything revolves about cost, but not simple courtesy and hygiene. If you can afford to stay elsewhere, give the Inglaterra a miss is my advice !!!

Date of stay: October 2016