“Great Location” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #70 of 78 Hotels in Havana
London, United Kingdom
“Great Location”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2013

I spent two nights at the hotel. The location is perfect just overlooking the Malecon. I managed to walk most places I wanted. Rooms are very basic, yeah water for shower is lukewarm. I am quiet fussy with food for me breakfast didn't appeal at all. But you can get an omlett as the rest is pretty basic. When you walk on the Malecon towards the fort on the right handside, at the end you will find a nice restaurant called Prado 12. Great coffee and food. Good prices, english menu, prices are in CUC and they speak English. As for Havana it is an amazing city but I traveled alone as a woman and it takes time to ignore men following you and telling you all sort of stuff they would never go further than talking to you but they are constantly. I didn't have a single calm moment. Be aware of people offering you cigars on the street or the scams for I will show you this and that..then all of them just say the same stuff they used to be teacher/guide...then they tell you they know a good restaurant La Familia...and they ask you to buy some milk ( I fell for the scam) and I did but probably they have a scam together with shop owner and I paid for milk far too much. When I told the story to Cubans..they were oh my God...that's too much.
I suggest to visit Trinidad. Lovely town.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Niki_Hun

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Manchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2013

It's as most people describe, pretty basic rooms but ours had a good view of the storm and high waves that coincided with our arrival. The second lift is still out of order and the floor in the working one is so springy you get the feeling that you might reach ground floor quicker than you expect. I got propositioned by a prostitute in the bar (either I've still got it or I look like a rich tourist. Hmm...). However, the staff were friendly and helpful and the breakfast was good. I've had worse in Europe.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Mollyhouse
Campbell River, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2013

The usual for Cuba, overbooked the first night and taken to another in the hotel chain that was almost less than basic. Deauville was only slightly better. Smoke from other rooms coming in from air condiioner opening on inside wall. No hot water, warm occasionally. Very smokey lobby and bar. (Can you tell I'm asthmatic?) Crazy busy desk clerks, food only passable. Only one elevator working with the most abysmal flooring I've seen since a seedy hotel in the seventies. Look for something better. Housekeeping was good...view of the malecon...

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Travelers are raving about these Havana hotels

Brisbane, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2013

As many other reviewers have pointed out, the Hotel Deauville is NOT the Ritz-Carlton. It's run down, and when I was there there was only one elevator working, which always sounded like it was about to die (it didn't). However, it does have an excellent location, both in terms of views and proximity to Old Havana. All rooms basically have ocean views, but only one side and the front rooms have balconies. I had a room on the 9th floor facing the ocean, and the view was great, but it was a bit noisy at night due to the people from the hotel's disco, who tend to hang out across the street. On the positive side, some of the 'noise' was actually live music, singing and playing. The higher the room, the better the view. There didn't seem to be much hot water, so brief showers are a must.

The pool is on the 6th floor, and was pretty basic (and the water was cold). But it was a nice place to hang out if you wanted to get away from the city for a bit (and the bartenders were very nice). The breakfast was pretty average, but you could get an omelette made to order, and in general, there are lots of food options in the area. A real find was a restaurant called 'Castropol', which was a couple of blocks further long the Malecon (towards the old city).

There was also a bar/lounge on the main level which had free entertainment in the evenings, including two fantastic flamenco dancers who did flamenco to rock music (awesome fusion).

Room Tip: rooms on the left/west? side of the building (e.g., facing the street) or on the front all have balc...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
St. John's
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 8, 2013

You would need the skills of Charles Dickens to properly describe this place however. I read the negative reviews and thought well, it is Cuba, what do people expect at $30 a night all inclusive in a communist economy. Up front? The staff were kind and tried their best but this place shoudl have been refurbished 30 years ago

But ahhhhhh, I paid closer to $80 for a Bed and Breakfast booking. I booked the Deauville because there was no other hotel room free in Havana. I had booked my preferred Hotel through an online reservation service called Cubaism and my airline tickets direct with the airline. I received word 48 hours later that the hotel I had booked was no longer available. Then I went to Travel Republic to save the day and find me “any” hotel in Havana.

What good can I say good

BREAKFAST

Breakfast foods were adequate. Each morning there was fresh orange juice; at least three fruits to choose from; sliced salami type meats; sliced cheeses; choice of boiled or prepared eggs and omelets; good quality breads; butter; jams; and somewhat poor coffee.

The downside The breakfast tables were pretty much filthy. The three waiters appeared more engaged in chatting with each other or networking with the steady stream of hotel staff in for their morning snacks than in having any contact with either the hotel guests or doing any actual work. Then at $20 a\ month who can blame them. The gentleman preparing the omelets and the older lady bring out the foods appeared both to be very conscientious and I made sure to tip both

What I found really off-putting Hotel staff coughing and hacking their way through the buffet layout.

BEDROOMS

The cleaning ladies were considerate and did their very best. I left without tipping them which was one of the few times in my life I have never tipped hotel chamber maids. It certainly was not meant to reflect on their services. It was a 4:00 a.m. departure and I was rattled. I left my iPod charger which is not much of a consolation prize.

It is pretty hard to do much with mattress pads that lost any hint of elasticity 20 years ago or with flat sheets that barely covered the mattress. Roll over a couple of times and the bedding is wrapped around you.

CLOSET There was a closet which was lit and had lots of hangers and a few drawers, certainly adequate for one person for a short stay

FLOORING Terrazzo meaning that while it was dated and not comfortable to walk on could and certainly appeared to be properly cleaned. I took great care not to spill anything on it.

ROOM SIZE The room was one of the largest in the hotel as per floor plans so it was certainly quite spacious

TELEVISION

The televisions were very small and very old. Picture quality was decent and there was a fine selection of TV channels. It would have been nice to have a listing of available channels and language listings

ELEVATORS There was one elevator working (at times) for fourteen floors. This was a combination service elevator, freight elevator, and guest elevator for 144 rooms. My room had three beds but I have no idea what its occupancy limits of the hotel might be. Certainly the hotel needed at least three working elevators to even be mildly functional.

I watched one morning as guests lugged their luggage down thirteen flights of stairs when the electricity went. I can't imagine that they would have had the energy to go back to their rooms for a shower to freshen up. They would have been quite “ripe” from their efforts when they got to wherever they were going.

The floor of the elevator itself was anything but level. It was badly damaged but you really would not want to look too carefully as the tattered linoleum covering might have been all that was between you and and a 100 foot drop.

FIRE ESCAPE The staircase It appeared open to the lobby with perhaps a 36” safety rail. If there were to be a significant fire death would be pretty fast.

VIEWS They could be spectacular except the windows appear not to have been washed in quite some time. Imagine looking through the bottom of a glass ashtray that had not be cleaned in a very long time.

CURRENCY EXCHANGE They can't / don't even make change in Cuban currency let alone provide currency exchange.

NATIONAL & INTERNATIONAL PHONE There was no phone service at reception and certainly none in the rooms. They had a sign up in the reception area apologizing for the lack of telephone service.

WAKE UP SERVICE There was no wake up service. I had an early morning flight at 7:00 a.m. meaning that I had to leave for the airport at 4:30. I asked and was promised a wake up but luckily my alarm clock worked as there was certainly no wake up.

TAXIS DESK I had asked for and been promised a taxi at 4:30 a.m. Right. They called a cab (friend I assume) after I checked out and I wasn't sure whether either the car or I could survive the 20 minute drive.

COMPLETE BATHROOM There was a shower and at one time during a 6 day stay the water was borderline warm. The hose dangled off a wall bracket that hand one screw meaning that you had to hold it in your hand. They took dexterity. There were clean towels and there was soap and the maid showed me how to turn on the bathroom light.

ROOM LIGHTING There were ceiling lights, neither of which produced much light. No lights on the night stands. Getting up in the middle of the night to use a bathroom was a challenge.

DISABLED FACILITIES They don't even have a ramp up from the street. You need to be fairly agile to navigate from a taxi to the lobby.

DRAPES They didn't quite cover the windows so if the sun was shining you were certainly aware that it was shining

DESK There was one but it faced a wall and with no lighting was not much use except for storage.

SWIMMING POOL It looked quite lovely but I saw nobody doing any water testing so thought it was better to err on the side of caution and I never put a toe into it. I did see one person swim a little in it one day during my six day stay.

LOUNGE CHAIRS in pool area They looked to be quite nice. I decided to check them out but the fabric had stretched so much from wear / sun / whatever that if you actually tried to lie down on one, your body would be on the three two inch support beams which would create grievous pain in a very short time. I saw people do it however. How? I truly have no idea. They did not appear comatose.

INTERNET I got it to work the first day and managed to get out three short email in perhaps 30 minutes. The next day GMAIL; YAHOO; and Facebook froze my accounts because they detected system compromise. How to work around? I have no idea. I managed to get it restored in Canada

NOISE I was on the 12th Floor. The street nosie was simply unbelieveable and I am a very sound sleeper

I would avoid Havana if this hotel were my only option.

Room Tip: No idea if there are any good rooms. Close to the street level I suppose to escape if there were a f...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank downtownbnbs
Mexico City, Mexico
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2013

Good points: you see the Malecon, if you have a room with ocean view... Amazing!
Breakfast is included
Good maid service
Clean room
Has a pool area
Bad points: only two elevators for 13 floor hotel, and one is out of order. The one that gives service, is about to collapse! The floor is falling, the walls are separating! I'm not joking!!
Hot water to take a shower? Why?? Forget it! (I guess you don't need it in the Caribe) but you should have a sense of humor when you read that the water is 50 degrees!
Terrible coffee...
Bring your napkins, it's an achievement to obtain one.
Very low maintenance, or none whatsoever.
Forget about Internet, it's better for you to understand that you won't be able to communicate that way.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank mimiMexico_df
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2013 via mobile

You can't rate a hotel in Cuba the sane way you would rate a hotel in Europe. The context is just not the same. The coffee machine never worked, one of the two lifts never worked, sometimes the phones didn't work, or there was no hot water...
That said, the staff was always extremely kind and helpful, wether it was the cleaning lady or the receptionists. The room was always clean and breakfast was fine.
Get a room on one of the upper floors looking east and you'll see why I spent 10 days there.

• Stayed November 2012