Islazul Terrazas Las Aparthotel
$170
$157
HotelsClick
  • Restaurant
See what travelers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed January 8, 2014

My third trip to Las Terrazas was in April 2013 with a female friend. Room 202 is a two bedroom apartment very similar to Room 210 (January 2013). I was the fortunate one to choose the bedroom that is at the front (facing the street and ocean) I heard little noise from the courtyard or the other apartments. There were some active older gentlemen (I use that term loosely) who had apartments overlooking the courtyard and were shameless in their displays with the young girls. My friend's bedroom window was about 4 feet away from the balcony of the next door apartment, and just beyond that were the balconies of these men and their "girlfriends". We had met a lovely family of 3 adult children and their Mom and we spent several nights playing cards in our apt. As our balcony overlooked the street and the ocean, our noise did not disturb others.
We had a toilet seat at the get-go! The breakfast food was a bit below my two previous experiences. Thank heavens for the egg cook! There was a serious shortage of cutlery and glassware. I watched as a used glass was rinsed and wiped with the "cloth in use" and given to a visitor. The only evening that I ate in the restaurant on site I had to wait until another customer had finished looking at "the one and only menu".
My best meal was at Casa Club next door when I was served an actual baked chicken leg. It was brown and crispy - the way I would cook it at home. You have to ask for the bone-in or you end up with it removed, flesh pounded and fried. Then I can't tell if it is chicken or pork.
The pool was green the whole time that I was there. No one had cleaned it. Disappointed in that as I had used it quite a bit in January.
There had been a thunderstorm with heavy rain and strong winds. The waves were awesome the next day. I was lucky. I went for a swim and had a hard time getting out to where one could swim and then it was VERY difficult to swim back to the shore. the waves were crashing and the pull back to the ocean was strong. Swim with a buddy.

I'll go back. The price and the Canadian weather in Jan, Feb, heck... March and April too are enough to make Las Terrazas seem like paradise.

Room Tip: Anything above the first floor. Be kind to the staff at reception. Ask for a room change if not satisfied... but be gracious.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank LyndaLunn
Reviewed October 1, 2013

This is a two star hotel. If your idea of a great vacation doesn't hinge on Taj Mahal like opulence where your accommodation is concerned or if you don't really care if your food tastes like, well, like food, this is the hotel for you. This is a beach bum's hotel. Not really a hotel; more like Cuban Trump towers, only without the modern amenities, yet with all the internal corruption you've come to expect. Head of security is a character; look for him on the roller blades I gave him, would be a site to behold. If you do happen to see that, I want you to play the theme to Miami Vice in your head.
Now please don't get me wrong; I had a great time, but I spent very little time in the hotel. There's very little to do there: Walk on the beach, swim in the ocean, get some sun, lay on the beach, then walk the four flights of stairs (no elevator) up to your penthouse suite and allow the low pressure shower head to fail at getting the sand off your taint.

There was one more thing: Elaine Avila from Infotour next door was professional and very helpful. Seriously, no jokes, this woman saved my skin.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
14  Thank TomPashkov
Reviewed March 7, 2013

This is an old apartment style hotel that is clean and offers loads of room. My apartment had two bedrooms, kitchen, TV area, dining area, fridge, stove and hot water. There was a safe in the room that worked. The area was quite. For the low price you can't asked for more. Good value.

Room Tip: When checking in give the reception person a $3.00CUC ($3.00 Canadian) tip and you will get the best apartment available.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
12  Thank JFK1954
Reviewed March 3, 2013

Before going on our first trip to Cuba, I read lots of reviews on this hotel. Needless to say, I wasn't getting my hopes up too high. But I can honestly say I had a really good time here. Remember - you get what you pay for. Our maid was very good to us, and we did not experience anything extremely negative. In kind, we were very good to our maid!
As for the room: there was no showerhead, and there are no windows, only wooden slats. I'm not complaining at all - people have to remember you're in a poor country...
Breakfast was good, lots of fresh fruit, and eggs done the way you want it. Located right across the beach, and the beach is very nice. Also across the street is a tour bus stop - 5 pesos will take you to Havana and back when you're done! If I were to really complain about anything, I'd re-classify this as a 'one star', not a two. Only real complaint is about the grounds cleanliness. Lots of garbage lying around. Bottles and cans would not be cleaned up for days. Other than that, I'd go back.

Room Tip: Get a room away from pool area (we were lucky and were away from it) as music and band events can get loud in area.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Shawn W
Reviewed March 3, 2013

The good - location and price
The hotel is located in the middle of Santa Maria Beach in Havana. There is a bus stop in front of the hotel, for $5 you can go back and forth to Havana all day from 9am to 6pm. The price in high season is $57 for 2 people sharing a room with breakfast included. Probably the lowest price of a hotel in Havana and the lowest of all the hotels in Santa Maria Beach.

The bad - everything else
rooms are clean bad badly renovated, all metal parts show rust, no shower heads. Water is rarely hot but always at least warm. There is a free safe in the room. I have never felt unsafe in Cuba. Other may have experience robberies, I must say it doesn't concern me, I don't think it happens that often. Most of the times robberies happen to tourist that sneak prostitutes into the hotels.
The pool is big. It is possible to expend the day at the pool by paying small fee, so, most days, there are people who are not actual guests at the hotel using the pool and it becomes a laud party where you can hear every possible obscene word of the cuban slang.
breakfast is just horrible. But they have an egg station, omelets, fried eggs, etc. made to your liking. bread, some cereal, milk, juice and yogurt. I wouldn't eat the rest.

Conclusion - I will always be back to this hotel because of the location and price. It is just a place where to keep my luggage, shower and sleep. and in the morning grab an omelet with bread and a yogurt before hitting the beach.
I recommend the restaurant next door "La Casa Club". Food is good for small price.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends