Review Highlights
Amazing city beach - expensive Transtur bus

Within 30 min at some of the nicest „city“ beaches by bus from Parque Central in Havana. Very busy... read more

Reviewed May 26, 2024
Onthewalkway
Bangkok
Sunday beach time with the locals

We went to Playa Santa Maria del Mar which is very popular among locals. We purposely picked a... read more

Reviewed April 8, 2023
John E

2,467 results
All reviews great beach santa maria closest beach tourist bus havana city taxi locals varadero pesos
Selected filters
Reviewed June 26, 2017

Let me start with the positives. Beach was nice, water was nice and there was a bathroom to change in. Was easy to get via taxi and easy enough to get transportation back. HOWEVER BIG NEGATIVE. If you are not a local you will be taken advantage of. I knew roughly the price for chair and umbrella rentals on santa maria beach are between 1-3 dollars. Also aware that almost all beer in Cuba is $2 or less. We were immediately offered 2 chairs and an umbrella. Then we had 4 beers and some chicken and fish for lunch. I noticed the food at the snack area did not exceed $4 or 5. When the bill came it was for $85! They charged $30 for fish and $20 for chicken and $5 per beer!

Do yourself a favor visit this beach but don't get anything more than a chair or umbrella from the attendants. Refuse any other services or you will be in for a rude shock. I accept full responsibility for not asking for the prices and was too trusting.

13  Thank cbmpsu
Reviewed June 20, 2017 via mobile

A must go beach if you love to play with the sun. The sand is very fine. Crystal clear water, I can see my feet when water up to my neck. Only problem very difficult to find a restrooms, I had to beg the nearby hotel allow me to use, my husband needed to wait for me outside the hotel area.

1  Thank O2336LPsaral
Reviewed June 20, 2017 via mobile

The beaches (Santa Maria Del Mar) are 30min and 20-25cuc from Havana in a taxi. Crystal clear water, cheap chairs to rent, and drink service on the beach.
No snorkeling, if you're looking for it. Trash in the sand, but mostly clean.

1  Thank JaredDillingham
Reviewed June 19, 2017

Beaches are always beaches, ones better than others
but in Cuba..all of them bring an spectacular sunset, clean and transparent water, white sand...I had been there many times.
before 2016...also.

Date of experience: July 2016
2  Thank TurismTravel
Reviewed June 17, 2017 via mobile

Nice beach close to Havana. This is a good spot if you're not looking to travel out to the better known beaches. This beach was clean, offered chairs, umbrellas, food, and drinks. I would suggest bringing a towel for your chair.

1  Thank Welltrvled