“All I remember is the beggars”
Review of El Capitolio

El Capitolio
Ranked #22 of 232 things to do in Havana
More attraction details
Owner description: Modeled after the U.S. Capitol, El Capitolo encompasses a planetarium and three museums.
Winnipeg
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“All I remember is the beggars”
Reviewed December 29, 2013

It's nice to see that this building is being restored, it'll look great when it's done, and when it's opens, I'm sure it would be worth doing a tour.

But I don't know if it was a bad day or what, but this was the worst experience I have ever had with vendors/scammers/beggars. My wife and I were hounded constantly by them. The hat venders and cabbies were everywhere bugging us, but at least they didn't grab at us. The colorfully dressed women grab you by the arm to try to get a picture (and or course expect money), the only way to get away is to wrench away from them, talking to them does nothing. And once you get away from them, give it a minute or two and they'll be back again.

The beggars approach and pester you, and will not leave. Being polite doesn't work, they just ignore you and keep perstering. And don't think ignoring them works. At one point my wife was trying to take a picture when one was grabbing at me while another approached and began pestering us, and it became clear that more just more and more were going to keep coming like zombies, so I physically swatted away the one who was grabbing at me and yelled at him (which I have NEVER had to do before anywhere), and that seemed to work long enough to take a picture and get out of there.

I really hope the government learns to clear these people (at least the disreputable ones) out of there.

Visited December 2013

70 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 57 helpful votes
“The magnificent edifice”
Reviewed December 12, 2013

I went to this location a week back. Since it was under renovation, I could not go in but the building is awe inspiring and magnificent.

Visited December 2013
28 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“The White House of the Carribean”
Reviewed December 6, 2013 via mobile

An amazing building, copy of the WhiteHouse. It is an impressive monument of the old times. Inside has a big jewel, supposed to be the "center" of Cuba.

Visited February 2013
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
84 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 124 helpful votes
“Amazing building”
Reviewed October 22, 2013

Totally breathtaking but unfortunately it was closed, so me and my boyfriend couldnt go up, i heard that from up there u can see an amazing view of whole town. It was very upsetting that we couldnt do it, but i always enjoyed passing by capitolio with all the old cars parked in front of it...lovely.

Visited October 2013
1 Thank Carine P
Wakefield, United Kingdom
101 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 174 helpful votes
“Not Open as being Renovated”
Reviewed October 5, 2013

The outside of this building is the spitting image of the one in Washington DC and does look spectacular. It will be amazing when the renovations have been completed. The garden areas at the side are very peaceful and loof fantastic. Make sure you take some water as it becomes a sun trap. No fee for looking outside but I am sure there will be a fee when it reopens.

There are many locals outside trying to offer to take your photo (for a tip) or there are some iconic old 'American' cars (many have had so many repairs from local parts they are no longer 'American') If you want your photo taken along side them or in them be prepared to pay. Negotiate though and it will be alot less.

Visited September 2013