All reviews ernest hemingway rooftop bar small museum otis elevator old havana playing the piano fifth floor pineapple hotel bar high ceilings habana vieja mojito typewriter history memorabilia iron cucs
Reviewed January 23, 2016

We didn't stay at this hotel but it was one of our favourite places to eat and drink in Havana. There is a lovely bar on the ground floor which, during the day , you can watch groups of tourists tripping in and out to view photos of Ernest Hemingway on their trek. The bar has a couple of televisions which show selected football matches. They don't seem to mind people watching from outside which I thought was nice. Also it is a wifi hotspot so there are often groups of locals and tourists gathered around outside accessing the Internet with the cards you can buy to allow an hours worth of wifi.
They also have a roof terrace with a bar and restaurant. The views are lovely and the food and service are excellent. The one place we went to in Cuba more than once and they didn't disappoint us on any occasion.

• Trip type: Traveled as a couple
1  Thank DMPridham
Anabel G, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Hotel Ambos Mundos, responded to this reviewResponded April 30, 2018

Dear Guest,

We appreciate your opinion. It is a pleasure for us that you have enjoyed your stay in the Hotel. We hope you return soon.

Reviewed January 23, 2016

I first stayed at the Ambos Mundos Hotel in May 2001, then again in 2002. A the time the hotel was a bit antiquated but initially I was thrilled at the idea that Ernest Hemingway had lived there for several years and had written “For Whom The Bell Tolls” and “Green Hills of Africa.” I returned to the Ambos Mundos in January and was extremely disappointed. While prices for rooms and suites had skyrocketed and reached stratospheric levels, hardly anything had changed or been upgraded. My air conditioning/heater unit was broken and could not be repaired, the sliding glass doors to the bath/shower were not only old and heavy but also difficult to open and close and the small bathtub was so narrow that it was awkward, if not dangerous, to step in. Taking a shower was an ordeal as the water would fluctuate between scalding hot and cold, making the whole experience very unpleasant. At times water pressure was inexistent, at other times the water would simply stop running altogether. Three other people I met at the hotel had the very same unpleasant experience. The windows in the lobby had not been cleaned in ages. To make matters worse tour guides now take hordes of tourists through the lobby and then to the restaurant and bar on the rooftop, and because there is only one old elevator that can accommodate only 8 people, it is practically impossible for clients to use the elevator to go to their room. While one can always use the stairs, keep in mind that you have 18-foot ceilings so even if you are on the 2nd or 3rd floor, it is quite a hike. I find it outrageous that such a hotel can charge what one would expect to pay for 5-star hotel room. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Trip type: Traveled on business

Dear Customer,

We appreciate your opinion. We are very sorry for these inconveniences. Your opinions will be taken into account, because we want our customers to feel satisfied with our services. We hope you visit us again, because it is our desire to change your opinion about the hotel.
Your satisfaction is our priority.

Reviewed January 20, 2016

Havana is booked to the gills lately. With the improved relations between US/Cuba and everyone trying to get in before the US "ruins it". With that said we were lucky to get a room at all anywhere in the old town and for two nights this hotel was fine. It was picked, booked and paid for in advanced by the tour group I was with so I was along for the ride.

The Good: I ate 2 dinners and 2 breakfasts up on the roof deck, great view, service and the staff was friendly and professional. The food and drinks were also very good. The old elevator is pretty cool, the architecture is beautiful and there is some appeal in the hotels history with Hemingway (although they play it up A LOT). It was clean and the bed relatively comfortable and the rooms recently remodeled. Did not smell too moldy when I stayed there. You do have to expect some mustyness since Cuba is a tropical country.

The bad: The rooms are built around an echoey courtyard or face the st. Either way they are very noisy. I asked to change to a quieter room but they could not accommodate and was told they were all pretty much the same. Luckily the noise from the bar piano, lobby traffic and kitchen echoing up the courtyard dies down around midnight, that coupled with my ear plugs and white noise from the bathroom fan meant I slept ok. The lobby bar drinks were not good and service was rude. Not unexpected due to the throngs of tourists traipsing through to get to the Hemingway room. When I checked out I was ready to pay for the four waters I drank from the mini bar. Instead I was charged for a CD and bunch of other stuff. After some negotiating and explanation I only paid for what I drank but it took three calls to the maid staff. Not sure if this is some sort of racket since other reviewers complained about the same thing.

Definitely have dinner up on the roof deck restaurant even if you are not staying here. It is pleasantly removed from the craziness of Obispo St. dinner/bar scene, fantastic views and they have a lovely band that plays. As for the hotel, I'd stay somewhere else if you can. If not make the best of it. I certainly is an adventure, as is all of Cuba.

Trip type: Traveled solo
1  Thank smeissne
Reviewed January 17, 2016

Fun piano bar in the lobby, staff is attentive. This is nice hotel with smallish rooms. Many tourists visit it as Hemingway stayed here and his room is now a small museum. this makes the elevator crowded at times, but the stairs are always open. The rooftop restaurant is also popular and has great views.

Room tip: Ask for a room with an outside window
Date of stay: November 2015
  • Trip type: Traveled solo

Dear Guest,

We appreciate your opinion. It is a pleasure for us that you have enjoyed your stay in the Hotel. Your opinions will be taken into account, because we want our customers to feel satisfied with our services. We hope you return soon.

Reviewed January 15, 2016

The hotel is located in the heart of old Havana, in an ideal location to explore the old town. It's in the hustle and bustle so one needs to be prepared to accept the noise - anything from street musicians, tourists visiting Hemingway's room on the 5th floor or the rooftop bar.

Check-in was fast and we were pleased to get access to the room two hours before the official time (4pm).
Due to the long queue to access the bar on the 6th floor, and the slow historic lift, we ended up walking up to the 4th floor where our room was located. We discovered that walking was the best option to get to our room. Guests should be prioritised over external visitors, in my opinion.

The room was small, with a high ceiling, the decor a mixture between antique/historical and colonial. The room had an unpleasant musky odour. The bathroom was small and dated. Warm water and water pressure a hit or miss. Everything is pretty basic but OK for a night or two.
Room doors kept jamming, reason why one could always hear the one or the other door being slammed.
Overall it came across as a 3 star room (which it is) at the price of 5 stars.
Breakfast is served in the roof terrace restaurant. The great view makes up for a lot. Quality, display (small flies everywhere, fresh food not kept cold or warm) and choice could be improved. In Cuba, one however needs to be tolerant and accept that things are not readily available or up to international standard, even at $280/night.

Staff were indifferent and every request (e. g. coffee at breakfast) seemed like a burden. A more positive and customer oriented attitude would not go amiss.

Wifi cards had sold out, so we had no chance of accessing the Internet and this for 3 consecutive days. When cards are available, ensure you buy enough to cover your needs for a few days.

Based on the location and the historical significance, the hotel could be a fabulous gem. A lot needs to be done to get there, even though the prices already reflect what could be.

Room tip: Higher floors offer quiet rooms. Half the rooms have indoor facing windows.
Date of stay: December 2015